Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

HR 822 IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Dave Workman, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

There is some confusion now on what exactly was voted on.

I am trying to get clarification.

It may have been a resolution calling for the vote on 822.

I have pulled ,my column.

My apologies for the apparent error.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

Thanks for the update!

3. Dave Workman

And you are welcome!
    Spread this link far and wide. People deserve to know what happened and who voted for and against.

4. BroncoFan

BroncoFan Eastern Oregon Well-Known Member

Looks like Oregon's Walden voted yeah (I'd expect that) but pleasantly surprised that DeFazio and Schrader were yeahs.
    I'm torn - I really believe that state's right should trump feds but individual rights trump state's rights. I don't like the precedent but I suppose this is about the best we could expect at the federal level.

5. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

As much as I believe in the 2nd, I also believe in states' rights. This bill stinks as it is the Federal government attempting to run a rough shot over State governments (no matter how appealing I find the end result).

Now, if they passed a law re-affirming the 2nd and stating that anyone who is not a criminal has the right to own an carry firearms, concealed or not, I would be for it. This however is just another hack job by hack politicians,.

6. gcban

gcban Tukwila, WA Active Member

Dave, I watched the hearings today and my understanding was that they were going to vote on the rule today 11/15 and take a full house of represenatives vote on the total bill tomorrow 11/16. Said they had to deal with the 10 proposed amendments first (8 democrat and 2 republican). That hearing was surreal and to watch how poorly many of the Democrats opposing the bill even understood what was being discussed or subject knowledge. It was embarrasing and entertaining to watch. - G

7. Dave Workman

While that might explain in some small way how the error was made, it does not erase the fact that I goofed. My apologies to every other member here.

CORRECTION: House vote on ‘consideration’ of HR 822

CORRECTION: This column reported earlier Tuesday evening that the House had passed HR 822.
    That was in error.

CORRECTION: House vote was on

8. gcban

gcban Tukwila, WA Active Member

Dave, no apology needed, at least not for me. Thanks for all you do to keep everyone here informed on the ever changing gun rights legislation and news. Keep up the great work! Thanks! - G

9. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

10. Dave Workman

Some of the arguments the anti-gunners offered were simply mind-boggling.

House passes CCW bill as antis plead states’ rights
    :thumbup:

Wednesday afternoon, the House of Representatives, by a 272-154 vote passed H.R. 822, the National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011, and as earlier indicated, one look at the vote breakdown says it all about how Republicans and Democrats are split on the subject of firearms rights.

House passes CCW bill as antis plead states' rights - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

11. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

I love how there was so much talk about state's rights...when there is no such thing. *shrug* corps are people and states have rights now I suppose. The big down side is that the bill has been gelded untill there is some sort of tracking for country wide CCW holders to be verified. Which boggles the mind since they can't even do that for a driver's license and there are more car fatalities per year.

12. theflyguy

theflyguy Beaverton, Oregon Member

Ok, so I'm a little confused....the House passed the bill but doesn't it ultimately have to be signed off by the President to become law? It would appear to me the battle is only a third of the way done.

13. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

States should NOT have the right to deny the constitution. States do not have the right to declare blacks non-persons, states do not have the right to deny due process, states do not have the right to deny liberty to certain classes, and the states do not have the right to deny someone the right to arm themselves against abuse and/or harm. Get that "State's rights" garbage out of your head. That is just a buzz word the powers that be fill you head with when they want to make things easier on themselves. States have the right to govern INSIDE the framework of the constitution...period. There is no real world example of any successful nation that has complete freedom of individual states...because it would not function as a union.

14. PlayboyPenguin

That is if it makes it through the senate...which is unlikely (but possible).

15. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Rest assured, Obongo will.

16. PlayboyPenguin

Why do you have to sully the conversation with derogatory and racist terms? (and don't try that "it isn't racist" crap unless you have ever seen Obama sit in the desert playing a drum) Can you not add valid points without resorting to childish name calling and pandering to people's worst impulses? It really makes you look like the one that is wrong, and not Obama, regardless of the content of the message. People who read this forum who might otherwise say "I see where these people are coming from" now say "Wow, a bunch of bigots are screaming about guns."

SonicBlue03, soberups, 2506 and 5 others like this.
  17. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

That's right. It would need 60 votes in the Democratic-controlled Senate, which is unlikely. It will probably never get to the President's desk.

18. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

It could pass and be signed. It's the perfect vehicle for creating a national CHL process that is as restrictive as California's. Once it's in place as it is now written it will be discovered that there's a real mish-mash of requirements out there, ranging from none to way more than necessary. The Dems then will decry the confusion and push for a nation-wide standard, one that probably makes it extremely difficult for anyone anywhere to get a permit. Be careful what you wish for...especially when it comes to politics.

Grunwald and (deleted member) like this.
  19. GED

GED North Idaho Active Member

There's a funny story about a Union soldier asking a group of Confederate POWs why they were fighting.
    One of them answered:"Rats"-i.e. "Am fight'n for state's rats".

Interestingly, historians still argue whether the bloodiest war in American history was primarily fought over state's rights or slavery.

20. fuhr52

fuhr52 Lane County. Oregon Well-Known Member

The Civil War was fought over States rights to have slavery.