Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How's that gun tax working?

Discussion in 'Firearm Laws & Legal' started by Dave Workman, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

2. PaulB47

PaulB47 Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Excuse me, what's the difference between a "gun violence tax" and a government boondoggle to "prevent" suicides, directed against shooting ranges and other gun owners? Do you imagine these boondoggles are cost-free?

How's that suicide task force working? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  3. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

I have to admit I don't understand the question after reading the post 3 times. Could you rephrase for us in the back row?

4. boogerhook

boogerhook Seattle Well-Known Member

Discount Guns on Lake City Way closed its doors.

5. L84Cabo

L84Cabo Orcas Island, WA Well-Known Member

The right to keep and bear arms is further protected by Washington's own state constitution. Specifically it says this...

Article I, Section 24 of the Washington State Constitution states: “[t]he right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.”

I'm not a lawyer but it sure seems like one could make a case that adding additional taxes to guns and ammo impairs this right...particularly for those of low incomes. Guns and ammo are already pretty darn expensive.

To say nothing of the fact that making ammo more expensive means that people aren't going to practice and train as much. Do you really want people who own guns not to practice and train with them?

But what do I know. I'm a simple man.

Logan Wilson and Brutus57 like this.
  6. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You're not excused. There's no excuse for jumping the gun (not intended as a pun).
    The task force hasn't even been named, yet because the suicide prevention statute was only recently signed.
    Take a look a year from now.

One thing this legislation did was derail some gun control efforts, and catch the antigun crowd rather flat-footed. They really weren't involved in the process, despite their attempt recently to claim credit for a victory. That's worth a lot.

Slobray likes this.