JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How's that gun tax working for Seattle? Not well, say critics

Today's Seattle Times carries an update of sorts on the city's controversial gun violence tax, against which plaintiffs in a lawsuit to overturn the tax just filed an appeal brief with the state Court of Appeals, and the story quotes one retailer who squarely nails common sense.

<broken link removed>

Excuse me, what's the difference between a "gun violence tax" and a government boondoggle to "prevent" suicides, directed against shooting ranges and other gun owners? Do you imagine these boondoggles are cost-free?

How's that suicide task force working? :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
The right to keep and bear arms is further protected by Washington's own state constitution. Specifically it says this...

Article I, Section 24 of the Washington State Constitution states: "[t]he right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men."

I'm not a lawyer but it sure seems like one could make a case that adding additional taxes to guns and ammo impairs this right...particularly for those of low incomes. Guns and ammo are already pretty darn expensive.

To say nothing of the fact that making ammo more expensive means that people aren't going to practice and train as much. Do you really want people who own guns not to practice and train with them?

But what do I know. I'm a simple man.

Excuse me, what's the difference between a "gun violence tax" and a government boondoggle to "prevent" suicides, directed against shooting ranges and other gun owners? Do you imagine these boondoggles are cost-free?

How's that suicide task for working? :rolleyes:

You're not excused. There's no excuse for jumping the gun (not intended as a pun).
The task force hasn't even been named, yet because the suicide prevention statute was only recently signed.
Take a look a year from now.

One thing this legislation did was derail some gun control efforts, and catch the antigun crowd rather flat-footed. They really weren't involved in the process, despite their attempt recently to claim credit for a victory. That's worth a lot.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top