JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a new stainless mini-14 owner who has fired rimfire rifles, shotguns, and handguns (also own a sp101) but never an automatic long gun. I expect I fall squarely in the 'noob' category. Looking forward to doing some learning and getting established in the community here.

I'm gonna have a lot of questions, and no I haven't tried searching yet, but for instance: How many patches should it take, to get a clean patch from the barrel of a new mini? Like more than twenty? Because the patches are still coming out dirty. And: should I disassemble the weapon and clean all of the parts before firing, or the barrel only, or nothing at all?

I'm a new stainless mini-14 owner who has fired rimfire rifles, shotguns, and handguns (also own a sp101) but never an automatic long gun. I expect I fall squarely in the 'noob' category. Looking forward to doing some learning and getting established in the community here.

I'm gonna have a lot of questions, and no I haven't tried searching yet, but for instance: How many patches should it take, to get a clean patch from the barrel of a new mini? Like more than twenty? Because the patches are still coming out dirty. And: should I disassemble the weapon and clean all of the parts before firing, or the barrel only, or nothing at all?

I'm thinking you mean semi-automatic?

WELCOME! On the patch question, if it's a dry patch, and you don't say what you put on it, quite some time. It's a function of how dirty the ammo was (if you do a search you will see that come up a bit, ie "that damn Remington Green Box is dirty ammo" or fill in quite a few others etc etc etc, plus, what you are putting on the patch. If you run a brass wire brush (from the breech to the barrel end, never the reverse- and some folks never pull it back out they unscrew and do it again breach to front of barrel) with Hoppes #9, then a few patches then an oiled patch (oil being Eezox, Hornady lube, corrosion X etc etc) then you'll be good to go fairly quick.

I was in the habit of never cleaning my BCG of my M16 in the Army. I'd drop some Luberiplate on it and call it good and drilled tacks with it and had zero failures of any sort. I learned that you can overclean things as well.

I'd look up You tube and see what folks suggest on cleaning on the mini for the rest of it and breaking it down. I'm not familiar with the mini 14, never even seen one. Proving only that I don't get out of the house much I guess:) - but anyway, good to have another here and once again, welcome!

Last Edited:
I'm thinking you mean semi-automatic?
Yep! Did I mention I'm a noob? ;)
It's a function of how dirty the ammo was
Yeah but this is a new gun, never fired. I'm using "Break Free mil-spec CLP" all-purpose cleaning, lubricating, and corrosion preventing liquid, that came in the cheapo Kleen-Bore kit that I'll be upgrading soon. The patches are still coming out gray wet or dry. But I also did not brass brush it first (did I mention I'm a noob? lol), and the tools I have could not actually clean bore-to-breech without contacting the breech face and barrel walls. Which I'm assuming is better avoided.
Thanks!

Yep! Did I mention I'm a noob? ;)

Yeah but this is a new gun, never fired. I'm using "Break Free mil-spec CLP" all-purpose cleaning, lubricating, and corrosion preventing liquid, that came in the cheapo Kleen-Bore kit that I'll be upgrading soon. The patches are still coming out gray wet or dry. But I also did not brass brush it first (did I mention I'm a noob? lol), and the tools I have could not actually clean bore-to-breech without contacting the breech face and barrel walls. Which I'm assuming is better avoided.

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with mini 14 working but...

If it's a brand new never fired (except maybe a round or two at the factory) rifle you should not need to clean it at all. Maybe a little lube on the slide/carrier or any other friction spots.

After it's dirty unless you are running a brass brush thru the barrel it's probably going to take a lot of clp patches to clean up. If you want to get the bore nice and clean I would recommend a solvent patch with something like Hoppes no 9, get it nice and wet and let it set, then brush from breach end with a brass brush. I typically brush all the way forward and then back thru, just don't ever reverse direction mid bore. I usually go solvent, set, brush, solvent, and then dry until coming out clean. A good solvent clean is not something you need to do every trip, but it's good to pass some clp and a bore snake or something thru after each outing IMO to remove the majority of the fouling.

Welcome!

My opinion, clean your rifle direct from the factory. The machining leaves it dirty, some parts stick. When you brake it down as much as you can and look at all the parts so you can see if there are any manufacturer defects that should be addressed.
Watch a few videos. I learn better by seeing someone do something. You'll get tips on different solvents and tools that will help you do a better, faster job cleaning and lubing. should you get a bore snake, grease certain parts, oil certain parts? Some of these old timers on YouTube have spent lifetimes working with firearms. They have figured out the hard stuff for the rest of us.
Your patches should come out clean, when your patch is clean your barrel is clean. Sometimes it takes a while...a lot of patches, lot of solvent and a lot of patients.
If you get into good habits of cleaning, lubing and inspecting your firearm it should last a lifetime.
I started shooting pistols more because they are easier to clean. Lol ;)

Welcome from frequent visitors me and Mrs tac. We live most of the year in East Anglia, the place that gave Nebraskans something to laugh at. I shoot, a lot, but Mrs tac gave up when we lost our cartridge-firing handguns back in 1997 to a gubmint over-reaction. She thinks that shooting BP handguns - still allowed here in Mainland UK - is just too much like cooking.

Last Edited:
My opinion, clean your rifle direct from the factory. The machining leaves it dirty, some parts stick. When you brake it down as much as you can and look at all the parts so you can see if there are any manufacturer defects that should be addressed.
Watch a few videos. I learn better by seeing someone do something. You'll get tips on different solvents and tools that will help you do a better, faster job cleaning and lubing. should you get a bore snake, grease certain parts, oil certain parts? Some of these old timers on YouTube have spent lifetimes working with firearms. They have figured out the hard stuff for the rest of us.
Your patches should come out clean, when your patch is clean your barrel is clean. Sometimes it takes a while...a lot of patches, lot of solvent and a lot of patients.
If you get into good habits of cleaning, lubing and inspecting your firearm it should last a lifetime.
I started shooting pistols more because they are easier to clean. Lol ;)

Darn I would be pissed if I bought a new rifle and there was any machining related grime/chips. You'd think the MFG would clean that up and put some protective lubrication/oil if anything.

Darn I would be pissed if I bought a new rifle and there was any machining related grime/chips. You'd think the MFG would clean that up and put some protective lubrication/oil if anything.
I've heard both sides, do clean new, don't clean new. Here is a site that I looked at that argues for cleaning:

Appreciate all the kind words, and also and especially the tech tips, since I have so much to learn!

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Once we're able to start using the public lands again, check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

Until then check out Trash No Land.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads