JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK, so I'm still kicking around the American "Destroy" carbine idea at the present. When projects involves a tax stamp, hundreds of dollars, and months of goings on, I normally like to let it sit in the mind for a few weeks or more to make sure I'm down with it, rather than it being the latest bout of mental flatulence. I'm not saying it always works out that way, but I try. :p

One ever so wacky idea came to mind the other day. What if one took one of those .45LC/.410 Howdahs:

1.-LEAD-opt-Pedersoli-Howdah-Double.jpg
Then papered it SBR (shallow rifling, not smooth bore), then built a folding wire stock that attaches under the pistol grip. Sound like fun or far too bizarre-o to exist? It would make one heck of a backpacking gun, no?

Enjoy!

Love this idea!

If u wanted to keep the "historic gun" look u could make something similar to the bunt line stocks possibly? It would be removable not folding though.

It would require two attachment points., 1 on bottom of stock and one towards the top of the grip. For that top attachment point it could be as simple as a bolt going through the wood rhat u could unscrew rather than the extended hammer pin of the uberti/pietta.

Or for that top attachment point if you had a threaded metal sleeve inside that hole in the grip then you could have two screws, one on each side, that screw into the sleeve.

If u wanted to avoid the stamp and use an existing pistol brace I have seen some folding pistol braces that attach on the bottom of the grip (glock) but they look really, really horrendous. Functional but frankensteinish. So that probably wouldn't work.

Another idea would be to use a Mauser c96 style but due to no metal backstrap that one would be tough. You would have to set a metal receiver into the grip which would be tough. And another male adapter on the stock. So I don't think that would work unless u are really super skilled.
6D8D72D0-45D1-40F4-9B7D-F8134FB88D7D.jpeg
AD8305CF-A2A2-4EF4-94A4-D1B41D4B1973.jpeg
79C30E49-7DC7-45D0-B027-40D286DF8D7B.jpeg

The only other thing I could think of would be to install a receiver onto the top of the grip to accept a retractable brace or stock (like u see on mp5 or other sub guns etc). The kind that typically have a round "rail" on each side of the gun -rectangular in the case of the flux brace). But by the time u got the receiver on there it would be so large and ungainly it probably wouldn't be worth it (unless the whole receiver assembly could easily be removed). But I guess if it didn't need to be collapsable the "receiver" would function only to clamp onto the wire stock on one (or ideally both) sides which would make it simpler. Or maybe not even "clamp" if it just accepted the wire stock and clicked into place somehow.

Also I guess if you had a wood stock that conformed to the back of the existing grip you could drill two holes through the grip front to back. Then the long mounting bolts would go in from the front of the grip all the way into the stock. The stock would have metal nuts/long bushing nuts or whatever to accept the bolts. This would be the simplest and easiest but would take a lot of woodworking to get the stock to conform to the grip well. Also u would need rubber or something on the stock face to keep it from marring the grip.

Also you would have to screw in two bolts everytime mounting unless u had a recess in the wood stock where you could use a quick release like they have for bicycle wheels. In that case the bolts wouldn't screw into anything and the quick releases would simply "clamp" the stock to the grip. Quick release would make stock look a bit weird though unless it was steampunk looking.

The nice part though is when stock is not installed the only bad look would be the two holes for the bolts in the grip that you could only see from the back or the front of the grip. If the mouths of those holes are finished well (maybe antique brass bushings or something?) they would look like they belong there.

Also @tac had some interesting bottom of the grip extensions for revolvers for legal compliance abroad as I recall. I wonder if that kind of thing could be turned into a wire stock for use over here. Can't remember how they attach though or maybe they are part of the grip/frame.

Last Edited:
The abomination in post #1 is NOT a howdah pistol, but some kind of Frankenshotgun/pistol.

A Howdah pistol was a gracefully-shaped pistol made for purpose that was also of the same calibre - usually - of the double rifle carried by the Sahib on the Shikar. Early Howdah pistols were actually in .577 Snider calibre and gradually reduced in calibre as the efficacy of centrefire hunting cartridges came to the fore. Lancaster actually made a four-barrelled over and under side-side side that had selective triggers - setting off four x .476cal rounds at the same time must have been interesting to say the least. Advice given by those in the know was to wait until the tiger opened its mouth, thrust the muzzles in and squeeze the trigger.
Obviously in those days they were made of different stuff than I am.

In yUK any REPLICA gun, like the Colt shown above, that can be fitted with a stock, can be fitted with a stock - it's quite legal.

However, please note that handguns like the Taurus are MADE in the factory with the butt extension as an intrinsic part of the grip, and are NOT removeable. In the case of the Ruger revolvers, long-discontinued WEF the death of Bill Ruger Snr, they actually came to yUK with a horrendous 18" long barrel. there are still some that have not been altered. Mine was converted by Sabre Defence Systems to comply, that sticky-out bit is welded into a cut-out in the lower frame - it makes cleaning the gun properly a real PITA.

The abomination in post #1 is NOT a howdah pistol, but some kind of Frankenshotgun/pistol.

A Howdah pistol was a gracefully-shaped pistol made for purpose that was also of the same calibre - usually - of the double rifle carried by the Sahib on the Shikar. Early Howdah pistols were actually in .577 Snider calibre and gradually reduced in calibre as the efficacy of centrefire hunting cartridges came to the fore. Lancaster actually made a four-barrelled over and under side-side side that had selective triggers - setting off four x .476cal rounds at the same time must have been interesting to say the least. Advice given by those in the know was to wait until the tiger opened its mouth, thrust the muzzles in and squeeze the trigger.
Obviously in those days they were made of different stuff than I am.

In yUK any REPLICA gun, like the Colt shown above, that can be fitted with a stock, can be fitted with a stock - it's quite legal.

However, please note that handguns like the Taurus are MADE in the factory with the butt extension as an intrinsic part of the grip, and are NOT removeable. In the case of the Ruger revolvers, long-discontinued WEF the death of Bill Ruger Snr, they actually came to yUK with a horrendous 18" long barrel. there are still some that have not been altered. Mine was converted by Sabre Defence Systems to comply, that sticky-out bit is welded into a cut-out in the lower frame - it makes cleaning the gun properly a real PITA.
They are based on the Ithaca car and burglar of the 1920'sish and I think pedersoli uses the howdah name for the "cool factor" ur right it's not a howdah replica.

Here is a rare car and burglar remake that can be made into an AOW in the us:
6ECD47AD-3C13-4FF1-AC43-09B1FCEB19A0.jpeg
0AF2A600-F5CB-418D-90BE-EAE8E68F2CEB.jpeg
Found on this page:

Some interesting smooth bore SBS guns for fun here

Fwiw the guy linked in this video could probably make any type of wood stock u wanted (don't know about metalworking, but woodworking is fantastic based on this video).

Wow!
That Bear Claw page is some, "Eye Candy" :)
But, after firing my old Tower Flintlock pistol with a load of shot in it. :eek:
I can just imagine my wrist in a cast after firing one of those, "Shorties". :(

*Note: That was when I decided a patched glass marble was just the
right size and a lot easier on the wrist. :p

Last Edited:
I was watching a video the other day where they were shooting a baikal bear claw side by side and they said it was an AOW ($5 stamp). But looking at that website posted above it seems like it should be classified as an SBS. I really like those CZs on that website. Beautiful.

LOL. This wacky idea was certainly forgotten about a project or two ago.
I got tricked, didn't realize you posted this early this year!

I need to start paying better attention to dates.

Then again, since Rona, I barely know what day it is.

For those of you that remember old pal Walt and his adventures blowing a hole in his hand with a pile of gunpowder on a sunny day [it's complicated, but look up Monroe effect/shaped charge], you won't be too amazed to learn that he made a not dissimilar faux-pas with a very fine Howdah pistol made by Rodda of Calcutta in .500 Nitro Express - a lively cartridge best known from going through the front of a lion and coming out at the back.

I wasn't there this time, but I know a man who was, and between hoots of laughter he told me how W**t, a leftie of prodigious leftness, like Ian McCullum of 'forgotten weapons' fame, preferred to learn by doing, rather than reading any instructions provided by the maker that might give him problems in interpreting.

If he had been more inclined to take the advice of the makers, he would have read, clearly on the box label - 'It is important that the RIGHT-side cock should be set first, and THEN the left cock. In this fashion the arm will be discharged in that order at each press of the trigger. Cocking the pistol in a contrary fashion, that is to say, LEFT then RIGHT, will set the mechanism to discharge BOTH barrels simultaneously. This is NOT recommended except in the direct need.'

Well stop me right there, fellas, but if a tiger had just chomped my bearer's head off on its way up the elephant to get to me, I'd be reading their advice, but carefully ignoring it, thanks.

This, then, it what W**t did. I failed to mention it in my last story, but W**t was a small man - not about 5ft 6in or so - and like many cyclists, build like a racing snake and with hands like a ten-year-old.

Cocking the five-pound pistol left and right, he took shakey aim at the target, a scant ten feet away, and squoze the trigger. As advertised, both barrels lit off at the same time. W**t was dumped on his butt, the pistol having flown out of his hands and landing on the roof of the range, some fifteen yards behind him. Both wrists were very badly broken, and the gun needed the attention of a serious gunmaker to repair the damage cause by the impact.

If you are wondering why, in these days of the .500 S&W Magnum, it should have had such an effect, remember that this was not the 'feeble' BP load, but the Nitro load, of the equivalent of 110gr of IMR 7828 and a .500gr solid. Bad enough in a twelve pound rifle, but two of them going off at the same time in a pistol held at arms length......after you, I say.

W**t was a long time getting over it, and, AFAIK, never again got on a bicycle - his wrists were just too badly busted to put strain on them.

Here are the culprits......I'm asking you - would YOU??

1590312321354.png 1590312326764.png

For those of you that remember old pal Walt and his adventures blowing a hole in his hand with a pile of gunpowder on a sunny day [it's complicated, but look up Monroe effect/shaped charge], you won't be too amazed to learn that he made a not dissimilar faux-pas with a very fine Howdah pistol made by Rodda of Calcutta in .500 Nitro Express - a lively cartridge best known from going through the front of a lion and coming out at the back.

I wasn't there this time, but I know a man who was, and between hoots of laughter he told me how W**t, a leftie of prodigious leftness, like Ian McCullum of 'forgotten weapons' fame, preferred to learn by doing, rather than reading any instructions provided by the maker that might give him problems in interpreting.

If he had been more inclined to take the advice of the makers, he would have read, clearly on the box label - 'It is important that the RIGHT-side cock should be set first, and THEN the left cock. In this fashion the arm will be discharged in that order at each press of the trigger. Cocking the pistol in a contrary fashion, that is to say, LEFT then RIGHT, will set the mechanism to discharge BOTH barrels simultaneously. This is NOT recommended except in the direct need.'

Well stop me right there, fellas, but if a tiger had just chomped my bearer's head off on its way up the elephant to get to me, I'd be reading their advice, but carefully ignoring it, thanks.

This, then, it what W**t did. I failed to mention it in my last story, but W**t was a small man - not about 5ft 6in or so - and like many cyclists, build like a racing snake and with hands like a ten-year-old.

Cocking the five-pound pistol left and right, he took shakey aim at the target, a scant ten feet away, and squoze the trigger. As advertised, both barrels lit off at the same time. W**t was dumped on his butt, the pistol having flown out of his hands and landing on the roof of the range, some fifteen yards behind him. Both wrists were very badly broken, and the gun needed the attention of a serious gunmaker to repair the damage cause by the impact.

If you are wondering why, in these days of the .500 S&W Magnum, it should have had such an effect, remember that this was not the 'feeble' BP load, but the Nitro load, of the equivalent of 110gr of IMR 7828 and a .500gr solid. Bad enough in a twelve pound rifle, but two of them going off at the same time in a pistol held at arms length......after you, I say.

W**t was a long time getting over it, and, AFAIK, never again got on a bicycle - his wrists were just too badly busted to put strain on them.

Here are the culprits......I'm asking you - would YOU??

View attachment 700903View attachment 700904
Wow great story! Reminds me of some of the videos on the smith and Wesson 500 magnum etc. Many of those the second (involuntary) shot is going straight up in the air or even back towards the shooter!
C10910ED-CA44-4395-B503-AE3338DA44B4.gif
10CB2B4D-AE37-410B-AB07-2BEAE99F5EA0.gif
E9A083F2-B3F0-4E6D-ADA4-2687DD99234E.gif
370F4349-79E6-49C9-AF6E-73FF560F7DA9.gif

I tried a .500 S&W pistol Once, it wasn't fun!
I'm not recoil sensitive, but DAMN! There is such a thing as too much, but something like that dues have it's place, much like the O.P's ideas, but a nice carbine in a potent caliber would be more manageable to my mind!

I think that the gal in third-down clip is doing VERY well. Ol Bowling' Pin Bill above her, not so well..................
I'll try to find some of the second involuntary shot u see with these. Many of the range accidents are from that second shot that goes over the berm without the shooter even realizing.

Not sure if that 3rd one is two shots or not.

Edit: post #20 below shows the second shot better.

The first one in the below clip shows it better.
979A3C9D-0991-4D60-ACFD-E48220DEBF25.gif

Last Edited:
Personally I find the people that stage these, "Hold my beer and watch this". videos, more than a
little on the sick side.:mad:

Not only have they endangered the shooter and anyone nearby, but they have more than likely ruined
the shooter towards the sport.:(

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR