JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All,

I have a Howa Mdl 1500 in .223. Howa is the source builder of the Weatherby Vanguard Series as well as a Smith & Wesson' bolt action rifle line. I was wanting to reduce the trigger pull as it seems a little stiff. From what I understood from the dealer I bought it from, the trigger is adjustable he just didnt say exactly how.

Right now it feels about 5lbs athough I really have no way of testing it. The manual that came with the rifle makes no mention of any adjustments. I am reluctant to go poking around the trigger assembley unless I have no other alternative.

Thank you for your help.

BVE

Hi Rock and Grizz,

I saw the youtube video but, the production quality of the video left me a little reluctant to start tinkering. You never know for sure if what the person in the home video means in some portions of the video. A few close-ups of the screws in question might have helped.

The thread in Varminter.com confirmed the video and had a bit more detail regarding the adjustments. After seeing the thread and the video I think I have a better understanding about the trigger adjustments.

Thank you both for your help.

BVE

Hi All,

I removed the action from the stock and looked over the trigger. It is a two screw set up, one for the pull and the other for the sear. I removed the trigger group and eye-balled how the trigger worked.

It appears the top of the trigger is surface that engages the sear. As the two surfaces slide across one another, the trigger feels gritty until the sear is released. Most likely the two sliding surfaces could use a bit of dressing to smooth them out.

I think I will save some coin of the realm and replace the trigger with a Timney unit to hopefully improve my shot groups. Once I have a replacement installed I will attempt to stone and polish the two critcal faces of the stock trigger. That way if I screw up at least my rifle will still be good to go.

Thank you all for your comments

BVE

A tip.... Before relacing a trigger that might be easy to fix, hose the trigger group out with non chlorinated brake cleaner spray and then lube it (maybe you tried this already). I've bought two rifles in the past that felt gritty. Both had metal shavings in them that became evident when I cleaned them with brake cleaner. Both now have nice smooth triggers.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top