JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice so its a 9/10 :) depending on how the grips are for me it could very well be a 10/10! If not nothing some hoque's cant fix and that all comes down to personal preference and feel. The sr9 has a long feeling handle too so no worries I like it has a bigger handle. One thing I didnt like about the feel of the lc9 is it feels tiny and doesnt seem like you can get a firm grip on it. Then again I thought the same thing bout the sr9c so went with full size prob should have tried the feel with the grip extension (on the sr9c) but oh well now I have a good excuse to start a collection :s0155:

I agree with the feeling of the LC9. Didn't like it. When I first got my shield I didn't like the way it felt with the smaller magazine in it. Didn't feel like I could get a firm hold on it. I put on a set of talon grips and it made a world of difference. I used to be a guy who needed to have some pinky grip to feel comfortable. With the smaller mag of the shield my pinky is half on/off and i'm totally fine with it. Feels fine and I can shoot just fine with it.

I really like my Kahr CM9. It's very small, but feels more comfortable than a LC9. I felt the same way about the LC9 grip and was not able to get a comfortable grip whenever I held one. My Kahr had Talon grips installed when I purchased it. I also think the trigger is much better than an LC9.

Still haven't shot the Shield, but when I held a dummy model in the gun store, it was significantly bigger than an CM9 or LC9, and I wanted the smallest 9 mm I could find and shoot comfortably, so there would be no excuse to not carry it.

Still haven't shot the Shield, but when I held a dummy model in the gun store, it was significantly bigger than an LC9, and I wanted the smallest 9 mm I could find and shoot comfortably, so there would be no excuse to not carry it.

I guess significantly bigger is in the eye of the beholder. I own multiples of both. I see them as very nearly the same size.

P1000657.jpg

WAYNO.

I guess significantly bigger is in the eye of the beholder. I own multiples of both. I see them as very nearly the same size.

P1000657.jpg

WAYNO.

Well maybe "significantly" is overstating it a little bit. The Shield did definitely feel bigger to me. Longer, taller, more boxy than a CM9 or LC9. I actually really wanted a Shield from all of the great stuff I have heard about them, but I have a preference for a carry gun to have a longer DA trigger pull and I did not like the trigger on any LCP I have held. In hindsight, it probably would have been a much more difficult decision if I could actually find a Shield anywhere...

The Shield did definitely feel bigger to me. Longer, taller, more boxy than a CM9 or LC9. I actually really wanted a Shield from all of the great stuff I have heard about them, but I have a preference for a carry gun to have a longer DA trigger pull and I did not like the trigger on any LCP I have held. In hindsight, it probably would have been a much more difficult decision if I could actually find a Shield anywhere...

That part I do agree with. The Shield feels like a bigger gun, in spite of its miniscule size. The Shield is only 1/10th of an inch longer. Feeling bigger makes it easier to shoot.

WAYNO.

That part I do agree with. The Shield feels like a bigger gun, in spite of its miniscule size. The Shield is only 1/10th of an inch longer. Feeling bigger makes it easier to shoot.
That's exactly what blew me away when I tried it at a local "range day" this summer. I think it's the first time I've picked up a sidearm and said "wow, this feels awesome". It fit me like a good glove. Just haven't seen any in stock since... (That said, the same day I tried Springfield's EMP. "Wow" on that one too, but way more expensive and a totally different manual of arms compared to my Glock.)

Only have 100 rounds down range with my Shield .40. Gotta say it's a fantastic little gun. Definately install the Talon grips - for me they make a huge difference in the grip pressure I need to control the gun. With them, there is no slickness, allowing me to keep light grip pressure.

It's a pleasure to shoot, has a nice trigger (though I'll provably go the apex sear replacement route to lighten the pull just a little), excellent balance, good sites (though again I'll probably go with trigicon's at some point) and darn accurate for a small weapon.

I'm very pleased but it's gonna cost me. My wife has an LC9 with galloway precision trigger job, she likes the shield better so we'll end up getting her one too.

The Shield is possibly the most underwhelming firearm I have ever shot. It's a departure from the otherwise fantastic M&P line. The front to back size of the grip makes it feel like you are holding something much larger than a 9/40. The grip length is also too long for my tastes. This is supposed to be a carry gun after all.

But the worst part is that you can't find one anywhere. You have to wait 3-12 months for S&W to deliver to you what is really just an adequate firearm. Lots of other companies make a perfectly adequate handgun in the same size/caliber/price range that you can actually own without having to wait months to get. Find yourself a nice SW9/40 Compact, it's only slightly larger than the Shield.

If you happen to walk into a store and they have one that isn't spoken for, by all means buy it. If you want one because the internet/your favorite gun rag told you it will make your life complete... don't waste your time waiting. You will only be disappointed.

My $.02, and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Meh. I'm going to use it for a concealed carry. I'm trying to track one down. I'm on 3 waiting lists with a wait of 3 months. O in the mean time, I got a 9c. My full sized beretta was just to big.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top