Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How would you rank your S&W Sheild in 9mm?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Muddslinger12, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Muddslinger12

Muddslinger12 Vancouver Active Member

Lol assuming you have one. But really those that do have one... How do you like it? One member (w/ one in .40 cal) said after 58 rounds it would keep dropping the mag after every shot. Anyone have similar issues? Please reply with approx. round count and really just how well you like it. I am thinking of getting one but if it drops mags, I will avoid it like the plague.

Thanks

Eddie and (deleted member) like this.
  2. TZS Gunfire

TZS Gunfire Veneta Member

I have a buddy who has the Shield in 9mm and has about 500+ rounds through it and has zero issues with it. That person who has issues with his/hers needs to return it for warrenty issues I think.

3. mr.revolverguy

mr.revolverguy Ohio Active Member

4. Glock23gp

Glock23gp Newport / Salem Active Member

Put 100 rounds through my 9mm Shield last weekend.. flawless and a dream to shoot.. As to the. 40 mags dropping, that was a very early defect that has since been corrected. Other than the mag issue i have been searching high and low for anything negative about them on tons of web sites and forums and have seen zero.. Mine just replaced my G23 as my edc firearm. Now my Glock sits lonely in my bedstand with its streamlight laser/light combo keeping it company.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

5. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

sorry to butt in but, are these still really hard to find? My ma wants one of these.

6. Rich7944

Rich7944 Kent, Wa. Active Member

Holy crap, these are the hardest pistol to find. I was lucky enough to find mine when they first came out back in April and in 1000-1500 rounds later, not a single issue.
    I have had numerous FTE's with my new XDS during break in.
    Bottom line: see a Shield, buy it because you will not regret it.

7. Muddslinger12

Good to know being that it is so hard to find only speaks to the quality IMO

Sounds like Smith & Wesson made a winner! Now to make some moo moo and find me one :)

8. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

What's so great about these? Why go with one of these over something like a Kahr PM9 or Sig P290? (genuinely curious)

9. Muddslinger12

I am curious too lol I just finally looked at the kahr Cm9 (its there compact model) And realized it is an American made gun as well. Anyone have experience with them? I personally would prefer the S&W name as they been around forever, however I like to support the "little guy" as well (as long as its a quality gun). Sorry, Dont mean to insult any Kahr fans! I just (obviously) have no experience with them and honestly didnt even look at them til Sun195 mentioned it. Def gonna have to get one in my hands and check it out. looking at their site they have some really nice guns! (then again its better than a candy store to me (and Yes Im a fat guy lol)

10. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

many reviews can be found in the web or youtube. real question is, who has them in-sock.

11. ThemGunsThough

ThemGunsThough RIP City! Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough enough to have a member on here sell me his spare 9mm Shield when when they hit the shelves. I've put around 400 rounds through mine and shot nothing but $9.99 sale ammo and it is very accurate especially for how small it is. I'm as accurate with it as I am with my XDM 9mm up until about 50 yards. As a matter of fact its so fun that my wife took it away from me and neglects her LCP (now her backup gun).

12. Rich7944

I have owned every 9mm M&P that S&W makes and liked every one of them.
    I currently have a Shield and a Pro with the long barrel. None of my M&P's have ever gave me a single problem and they have always been super accurate. They are easy to strip and clean with minimal parts unlike my prior XD or XDM (Glocks are easiest). Extremely comfortable to shoot, triggers are good and even better with the Apex kits but even without I like them. They are made in the U.S. and the major stock holders live here in the northwest.

That is what is so good about them in my opinion.

13. gunjunky

gunjunky Arlington, WA Active Member

Put myself on a waiting list today, only 50 or so others on it.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Muddslinger12

Is it you? lol just kidding but I wonder if they are a member....?

Oh wow ONLY 50? :jawdrop: Guess I will have to find a used one. But like I said before it only speaks to the quality

15. beavernation1

beavernation1 Salem Member

I have had mine about a month and finally took it to the range last weekend and shot 100 rounds of white box through it with not one problem. Pistol shoots smooth, fast follow up shots, absorbs recoil and is right on target every time. I have finally found an edc I enjoy. I wandered in to a shop to payoff an xdm I had on layaway and spotted the shield just being put on the shelf and promptly paid for it rather than the xdm. I paid about $50 over suggested retail but I was more than happy too considering the lack of availability of the 9's.

16. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

There is not a better compact 9mm out there. Period. Kudos to S&W.

17. Zepoll

Zepoll Keizer Active Member

I have the shield in 9mm and I like very much. I won't say it's perfect, but it's very good.

I had a Kahr P9 (Same size/dimensions as the CW9) before that I sold in order to fund the purchase of the Shield. I go back and forth nearly on a daily basis and whether or not that was a wise move or not.

On a scale of gun sizes with one end being very small handguns, and the other side being large handguns, somewhere in the middle is your ideal size. For me the CW9/M&P Shield size is just about perfect. I think the Kahr (with a hogue grip) fit my hand perfectly. It's hard for me to explain, but the shield grip feels "long". I'm talking about distance from the front of the grip to the back of the grip. Just feels odd in my hand. I put some talon grips on it and it feels much better.

Overall, I'd give it a 8 out of 10 ranking. Deductions are for the grip feel and lack of No-Safety option.

Having said all that... aside from the CW9... I don't there's another single stack that I'd buy for daily concealed carry other than the Shield.

18. WAYNO

WAYNO Oregon City Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've got a couple of these Shields in .40. What I've found, in spite of it being nominally the same size as the other guns in this size class, the Shield feels like a much bigger gun. Nothing says that that's better, only different. Although I like everything about its geometry, the next feller just may criticize it for its geometry. Ford, Chevy, to each, his own.

And, as far as availability? In the North Valley, we are at the mercy of stocking dealers that too often snooze, and are left out of an availability picture when something turns out to be a red-hot seller. So folks like me go behind the scenes and find them elsewhere.

WAYNO.

19. Rich7944

All Shields have a thumb safety on them.

20. Muddslinger12

Nice so its a 9/10 :) depending on how the grips are for me it could very well be a 10/10! If not nothing some hoque's cant fix and that all comes down to personal preference and feel. The sr9 has a long feeling handle too so no worries I like it has a bigger handle. One thing I didnt like about the feel of the lc9 is it feels tiny and doesnt seem like you can get a firm grip on it. Then again I thought the same thing bout the sr9c so went with full size prob should have tried the feel with the grip extension (on the sr9c) but oh well now I have a good excuse to start a collection :thumbup: