JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i was at cabella's yesterday. I got my number and waited my turn i was next at 93. The guy in front of me looked at the Springfield Range Officer. slaesman put it back in th case and i think goodd my turn. WRONG!! The ccustomer says I am going to get it today. No problem I can wait for them to do the forms.
Customer says I am going to get the gun using the cabellas card. I haven't got it yet. Salesman p have yo filled out the form yet?
Customer - NO
SM - I will take you down there and we will get it done.
Customer and SM walk off.
I am stunned. At this point I left, Don't know if i will be back.

Update 11:00 AM
I just got off the phone with Cabellas "duty mannager" even though i ask for the store manager. The woman was all blah blah.. She wa saying the train there outfitters to take care of the customer they are working with until they are done. Even if it includes just walking off with the customer and leaving the gun counter unmanned without saying anything to anyone. Walking off without informing people that have been waiting or not getting someone else to take the customer to the counter to fill out a credit application is plainly ignorant at the best, especially when there is no one else to attend to the gun coounter.

I will not be shopping Cabella's anymore. I strongly urge all of you to do the same.

Last Edited:
A neighbor just showed the Walther P38 he'd purchased at the Spfd Cabelas. He mentioned how painful it was to purchase the firearm, including having three different employees go over the tranfer form. The capper was having an employee walk him out the door then hand him his pistol. He thought it was a problem with the mall, that the mall had the policy of not allowing firearms for that.

I think most of the sporting goods stores walk out the firearm. I've had them do that at Dick's and Big5.

REM -thats is plumb silly. Every REAL gun guy knows COUNTRY music is the only music that should be played in a huntin store. You must be one of them ther city fellows unless REM is Rockabilly Extreme Music.

A neighbor just showed the Walther P38 he'd purchased at the Spfd Cabelas. He mentioned how painful it was to purchase the firearm, including having three different employees go over the tranfer form. The capper was having an employee walk him out the door then hand him his pistol. He thought it was a problem with the mall, that the mall had the policy of not allowing firearms for that.

I am waiting for a scope mount that I'd ordered to be delivered to the store. When it arrives, I'd planned on having the store staff mount and boresight it, something they'd offered when I ordered the mount. At least now I won't be surprised when I'm not allowed to carry my own firearm through the store, even in its original case.

In Arizona a store with that policy would soon close, if it weren't some big box POS

I haven't been to any Cabelas around the NW, but stop at the one near the KC airport each year when I visit family. I agree, adding a few more people in the guns / ammo section would be great. And of course it'd be nice if the prices were lower but wouldn't everything? Other than that the only suggestion I could make would be to add a snack & beer bar, maybe an in store Hooter's.

Yep, CABELLAS is at least 15% over priced on everything they sell except their "specials" which are generally equal to Bi Mart's every day prices. Bi Marts ammo is usually marked down from their normal price every other Wednessday. Wish they sold hand guns as well as rifles.

The Springfield store has no atmosphere as the Lacey store. Won't be going back to Springfield.

Over priced? Compared to here they don't seem too bad. I get the ad from cabella's, ammo prices pretty fair, reloading components about the same (or less) as sportsmans warehouse, new gun prices about the same too, used gun prices, well you have to know what you are looking for and be ready to jump on a deal.

As far as walking you out with a gun, heck I wouldn't trust any stranger in my establishment to walk around brandishing a gun either. Let's face it some of you aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer!!!!

Any store that 'requires' guns to be carried out by an employee is a policy that suggests a lack of trust of the customer and I would not buy from them.

That is not what it "suggests" at all. I asked an employee about this the last time I purchased a weapon there. He told me it was required by their insurance provider. By walking out a customer with a newly purchased firearm, it eliminates them from "Going Postal" with a weapon they just purchased. At least as much as Cabela's can assert to.

They are welcome to take the gun to their car, then come back in and shop as usual. If they then go to their car, load the weapon, come back inside and proceed to shoot up the place, their insurance carrier won't be as liable. Attorneys have driven them to this, not company management. We live in a world where lawyers are now dictating our current behaviour. Sad, but true. Bill T.

I have found that with Cabela's a guy has to be patient, things go on sale often online and mailed ads, the old inventory "has to go". I think they charge more because they back up their products with a return policy.

Here is what I found about cabalas pricing. The price on the shelves always seems to be higher than their online prices. So before I head to Springfield I always shop for what I want on their website first, if the online sale prices are agreeable with me I make the trip. When you get to the register I tell them I need a price match in their website and get it for that price. Having a smartphone can really payoff there, on one trip alone I save over $70the from what is marked on the shelf. It sucks that the stores don't show web sale prices but it is what it is. And whenever possible I will point that out to other customers also, I save one guy $30 on a shooting rest we both were looking at. Just kinda my way of paying it forward.

I live in medford and we don't have cabelas but we have sportsmans warehouse. Basically the same over priced type store. All their guns seem to be about 30 bucks more than the local gun store but I do enjoy going there and having them show me every gun on the rack before actually spending my money elsewhere haha. They don't like helping me anymore because I never actually purchase.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top