JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After my third and probably final visit to the Lacey Cabela's, I'm pretty ambivalent about hearing there's a new one coming to the Portland area soon.

My beefs include:

- lines

- prices

- damaged returned merchandise repackaged and hung out for sale again

- invasive procedures, with extra lines in and out, to bring a legally carried weapon inside to fit a holster (and seemingly mute employees simply walking away with my gun - not a word or a signal).

I could vent at length about what bugs me, and why. But that's just one consumer's opinion.

Instead, if they're even remotely interested, perhaps Cabela's might make good use of some broader based feedback assembled here regarding what could make the new Oregon City store a more positive experience for potential and existing customers.

The biggest problem I have with Cabela's is their high prices. If they could bring their prices down to a reasonable level, I could forget about a few other issues I have with them. They DO have a large selection of lots of things, and I am looking forward to them opening up in Oregon City.

I could not agree more about the prices! I enjoy walking around the stores and checking stuff out but I rarely leave with anything due to the extreme pricing!! I can buy local and save money without the drive to Lacey.

I've never had an issue with long lines but I do agree with your 2nd and 3rd points. I routinely see people on this and other boards talk about how great Cabelas' ammo prices are and I don't know if I just go on the wrong days or what but they have the highest ammo prices of any of my local options.

But...if you are in the market for a $75.00 sweatshirt that has Cabela's embroidered on it, they can't be beat!

I've never had an issue with long lines but I do agree with your 2nd and 3rd points. I routinely see people on this and other boards talk about how great Cabelas' ammo prices are and I don't know if I just go on the wrong days or what but they have the highest ammo prices of any of my local options.
It happens occasionally. I don't think this is the best deal I've seen there in a while. http://www.northwestfirearms.com/showthread.php?t=33309 The rest of their ammo isn't what I would call a bargain.

Im fortunate that I live in the Oly/Lacey area so I can go there often on weekdays when there is hardly anyone there. I went once on a weekend around Christmas and what a mistake that was... Wish they had more people in the gun area so I didnt have to wait so long just to ask a simple question.

When I first went there last year I thought they would have lower prices since they were so big. I was suprised to see the opposite.

So yea, boils down to long lines and high prices. I still like to go just to look at stuff, and for the occasional deal, but overall I spend my $$ across the freeway at Wholesale Sports.

After my third and probably final visit to the Lacey Cabela's, I'm pretty ambivalent about hearing there's a new one coming to the Portland area soon.

My beefs include:

- lines

- prices

- damaged returned merchandise repackaged and hung out for sale again

- invasive procedures, with extra lines in and out, to bring a legally carried weapon inside to fit a holster (and seemingly mute employees simply walking away with my gun - not a word or a signal).

I could vent at length about what bugs me, and why. But that's just one consumer's opinion.

Instead, if they're even remotely interested, perhaps Cabela's might make good use of some broader based feedback assembled here regarding what could make the new Oregon City store a more positive experience for potential and existing customers.

My recomendation is a return back to the old Mom & Pop type stores. Places where people actually value your presence. Where you aren't just one more hassle to deal with.

I agree, prices are usually MSRP, which is usually higher than I'm eager to pay. The better prices are found online with free ship to store or when they have a $5 shipping deal.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what merchandise Cabela's sells, they are just another big box chain store.

I'd improve the Springfield store by placing it in mall that allows concealed carry.

How would the mall know if you had your firearm concealed?

Went to the new Springfield Cabela's and for the stuff I ususally buy at a sporting goods store(pocket knives,ammo,etc) Bi-Mart has better prices and is locally owned.

Cabela's prices are as good or better than anyone else's. You have to watch for them more alertly, and shop their flyers. They often have the best prices on Glocks and Springfields. You can "double up" and save even more. For example when I purchased my Beretta 92 from them they had it on sale for $549.00. I was also sent a $50.00 off coupon from them on any purchase over $200.00. I ended up getting the gun for just $499.00. No one in the area could match that. Bill T.

Too expensive on just about everything, especially ammo. Every once in a while they do have a good deal on a firearm or 2 but that's more the exception than the rule.

Before you b!tch too loudly about Cabela's prices......Here are 12,000 CCI Small Rifle Primers I picked up for just $19.95 a thousand. I did have to wait in line to get them because of all the people lined up to buy the $599.00 Smith & Wesson AR-15's that were on sale! Try and match that anywhere. Bill T.

12000SmallRiflePrimers001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never purchased small rifile primers before so I couldn't really say if that's a good deal or not. I can only speak to the items I am interested in which are 99% of the time, more expensive than elsewhere.

I'd improve the Springfield store by placing it in mall that allows concealed carry.

A neighbor just showed the Walther P38 he'd purchased at the Spfd Cabelas. He mentioned how painful it was to purchase the firearm, including having three different employees go over the tranfer form. The capper was having an employee walk him out the door then hand him his pistol. He thought it was a problem with the mall, that the mall had the policy of not allowing firearms for that.

I am waiting for a scope mount that I'd ordered to be delivered to the store. When it arrives, I'd planned on having the store staff mount and boresight it, something they'd offered when I ordered the mount. At least now I won't be surprised when I'm not allowed to carry my own firearm through the store, even in its original case.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top