JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since it will be a while till we can buy firearms again or measure 114 is shot down, I plan on diverting some of my money towards some Cerakote work I've been wanting to do. Will 114 affect Cerakote services since you technically need a permit to lend a gun to a person? I know it probably will, but I want to hear ya'all opinions.

I feel sorry for all these small businesses that are related to firearms but don't qualify as FFL dealers, e.g. gunsmiths, custom holsters, etc. :(

They must be FFL's and it's been that way since 2015. No change there.
Oh, I did not know that! I have a powder coat guy who also does custom Cerakote stuff ranging from car parts to gun parts. I'm not gonna release the name of his company for legal reasons, but he is not an FFL and I just assumed that they don't need to be an FFL. I guess he is not a certified firearms Cerakote applicator. Dang, he does do a really nice job tho. I guess this was a dumb thread to start! :p

you can cerakote your private parts for all kinks and matters but as long as the gun part is NOT the registered part of the firearm, you don't NEED an FFL.

henceforth, you can do all parts of an AR except the lower receiver.

don't quote..don't take my word as magic...and I am not a lawyer nor am I advocating legal advice or dispensing it. I'm just saying what I know from my reading comprehension of the laws in place.

I think some are questioning handing their gun/lower over to someone without it being a transfer. You can do that, but only to an FFL or licensed gunsmith if you don't want to do a transfer. For example, I purchased a no logo lower specifically for the purpose of engraving a U.S. submarine service emblem and dolphins on the side. I can have it engraved by an FFL or a gunsmith without a transfer.

The same thing would apply if someone put together an AR-10 with components from different manufacturers. A gunsmith, that is a licensed FFL, can try to straighten it out for you without going through the transfer paperwork. However, if you put it together starting with an 80% lower, and have a licensed gunsmith work on it, Brandon now has other plans for you.

Turns out that Adam at Coat of Arms in Keizer does in fact have that artwork in his book, so can do it without me paying to commission the artwork and setup. Since Adam is one of the plaintiffs in the 114 complaint, I have no problems whatsoever giving him and his gun store some advertisement. They have a very large collection of artwork for engraving. They also do cerakote and dipping. I had an aluminum barrel dipped to look like carbon fiber and it really came out looking good.

Last Edited:
every time ive handed a firearm to my local FFL for "gunsmithing" its never been entered into their book(that im aware of) or had to have a transfer back to me. just sayin

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top