JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You should be fine as long as you don't get off the ship in any of those ports ;' > If you do get off, DO NOT stray off the beaten path or take any advice from the locals as to where to go or what to see. If approached by anyone, disengage ASAP and watch your back. Make sure your beers are opened in front of you, and don't let it out of your grip. Do not drink anything mixed. BTDT, and escaped due to my suspicious nature.
This is very good advice. The risk on a cruise is when you are in port, especially if you are in another country. Get all your shore excursion information from the concierge service on the boat. They will give you great info, even if you are looking for information other than the booked tours etc. Of course, they want to upsell those planned events, but they will still help you if you don't want to spend money on that.

The amount of risk while on board is virtually nil. Passengers are there to have a good time. The attitude is one of having fun. Passenger to passenger violence is so rare that it makes global news when it happens. Crew to passenger violence is even lower as maritime law is very severe on violators, nothing like how it's handled here in the United States.

The biggest risk while on board is theft from your stateroom, much like that of any hotel. So, use the in cabin safe, keep only the amount of cash you need for the day on your person and you will be fine. The purser's office does have a larger safe for big items, but you need to arrange this prior to sailing. Your cruise consultant (salesperson that books your cruise) will take care of that if you let them know.

I love cruising, especially with the kids. There is so much to do onboard that we let the boys (14 and 16) and our 18 year old daughter just run free and do what they wanted. There is complete CCTV coverage on all the public spaces over the entire ship, and all the open access areas reserved for the crew. There is ample, but not to apparent security staff on these boats. And while underway, where are they going to go? My kids have always made friends within a few minutes of running around and these informal groups pal around and bounce from activity to activity.

I should say I'm talking about the major lines, I've never sailed on the smaller boutique lines. So, we just set a checkpoint time and place throughout the day and the kids had a blast. Our youngest daughter (12) either hung around with us or spent a great deal of time in the kids area, which is staffed with full-time certified child care folks.

There is so much to do on a cruise that it's a chore to choose what you want to do, if you are like me I don't want to miss anything. The dining is great, even the smaller boats that do the weekend Caribbean jaunts have at least 8 or 9 different restaurants. So you can go decked out or casual, no problem. They will enforce dress codes in the up scale restaurants. It's not a bid deal if you show up under dressed. They will just very politely inform you of what they need and then help you out, either by directing you to another choice or reserving a table for you a bit later to allow you to change.

They all have some sort of casual buffet as well, where you can grab food while in your swimsuit if you wish. You will need footwear and a shirt. The big ships have this open 24hrs per day, the smaller will have down times, but they are still open 18 - 20 hours per day and while it's a buffet, you will still have an insane choice of all levels of food. From a hot dog to high end near-gourmet level dishes.

So while you are "trapped" on the boat, especially while underway … it's a wonderful place to be trapped. It's a lifestyle that is beyond what even royalty could have hoped for 100 years ago.

So, can you tell I like cruising?

The biggest risk while underway is an onboard fire … but the safety equipment and evacuation equipment is robust and ample. Take the manditory evacuation drill seriously, and make sure one of the first things you do is to walk every deck from stem to stern to note where exits are etc. Take every elevator and stairwell up and down as well. This is also a great thing to do to make sure you don't miss anything. I always hear of folks saying "I didn't even know that was available" and they miss out on something they would have loved to do had they known.

When is the last time you heard of a passenger dying or being severely injured … unless it was a suicide attempt which does happen from time to time. There is a strange draw for the depressed to use a cruise. They get to live it up till the end and then jumping off at sea makes it very hard to stop their deaths, and in their minds it makes for a clean demise. No mess to clean up.

If something does happen the medical staff onboard is top notch. They have to provide a full clinic just to deal with the routine medical issues that arise every day from a staff and crew that can number over 1,000 people. Not to mention the routine exams and screenings needed to keep certifications and licenses. There is an emergency trained physical on the larger boats, and at least an emergency certified PA or RN on the smaller boats (relative term as even these ships are huge). The clinic is fully equipped with pretty much the same equipment you would find in a well stocked urgent care or small ER.

Every one of these ships is designed so there is an area on one of the upper decks that can be cleared to allow a chopper to land … so air evac and assistance is easily available.I watched a drill once doing just this. They announced I on the PA, as well as listing it in the daily newsletter, so this area had perhaps only a third of the sunbathers that could be there otherwise. So it was a bit easier to clear the passengers out of the way … but it was obvious how easy this would be in a real emergency. About 150 crew in orange vests and hardhats converged on the area … the passengers were assisted out of the area with almost one person to every two passengers to help them carry their stuff and a deluge of bodies grabbing deck chairs and tables and moving them out of the area in a choreographed, precise way. It would take much longer to get the helicopter to the boat than to clear the deck for its landing. Watching the drills were they launch the life boats is pretty amazing too. They can pull 1,000 folks off the boat in minutes.

Okay, I just realized this has become a novel … if you are still with this I apologize. Again I hope someone finds it interesting.

Cheers!

Last Edited:
Book a cruise:
If one enjoys food
If one enjoys shows
If one enjoys Ports of Call
If one enjoys not having to repack to go to new country/location
If one understands there are additional expenses

Do not book a cruise:
If you cannot gain any extra weight
If you can't figure out how to be entertained
If you don't like noise
If you are a heavy drinker but don't have a few hundred extra dollars
If you want to go on 10 different excursions but don't have a few extra thousand dollars
If you are too cheap to tip (staff makes their living from tips as the lines underpay them)
If you can't follow simple rules

Note: some hallways are filled with carts and too narrow for a handicapped walker to travel. Want an excursion, book early, the most popular fill up. Want to scuba but not certified, no prob, they will get you in the pool then in the water, stay close to either experienced divers or the Divemaster. Don't expect to lay around on deck in peace, it's a noisy busy place on most cruises. Keep lots of hand sanitizer on you and use it use it use it!!! Staff is generally very friendly, don't abuse them or make excessive demands. Your room steward is your best friend, they can help with many needs. Make sure you have a passport prior to sail time. Lattes are not included in fare. Specialty restaurants typically cost extra (regular dining rooms are included in fare... don't make the mistake my friends did, it cost them). Read the website cruise info carefully prior to leaving on your cruise, what you don't know can make things difficult.

Okay, a couple more things, then I'll stop … I promise.

When in port keeping to the beaten paths is wise on a number of levels. Cruise passengers are a source of huge amounts of revenue, so those shops etc. in those areas are very serious about caring for the passengers. The police presence is usually pretty high there and the shop keepers look out for each other. A bad actor is going to be squelched pretty quickly.

But …

Leave those "beaten paths" and all bets are off. The attitude will be if you are that dumb then so be it. You won't get much sympathy from anybody, especially the bureaucrats in a foreign land!

And don't miss the sailing times … that ship will leave exactly on time … even if you are running down the pier and within steps of the gangway. They pay the port by the minute they are docked, and that price is far more than the value of a single customer. Depending on where you are there may be very tight schedules through certain waters (traffic control) and they will be fined if they miss the window allotted for passage. I've seen it happen, the gangplank pulled away with a foursome of somewhat drunk 30 somethings staggering down the pier. They literally "missed it by that much" … meaning about 10 yards!

Hand sanitizer is your friend. Carry it with you and use the many stations around the boat every time you pass. If you use the buffet realize that folks from all around the world have handled the serving utensils. We all have bacteria strains on our hands that we are immune too, but get the same type of bacteria from another part of the country or world and all bets are off. Just goop your hands prior to eating, every time you return to the table and you should be fine. It's a bit of a pain, but far less painful than spending your day in your staterooms tiny tiny head, while everybody else is out having a blast.

Last Edited:
Having some fun here. Imagine us humans 1000 years from now booking passage on a premium ARMED fast passenger star ship. Let's say a 30 day voyage going somewhere very very far away going very very fast. Your double stateroom is about 2 meters by 2 meters by 2 meters and you paid a premium for that BIG space.

About 500 passengers paying big credits. A crew of about 100. Automated. Armed because it needs to be. Space pirates. Military spec engineering plant, deflectors, shields screens and sensors. The space liner needs them. Around and around we go. Everything has happened before and will happen again. Enjoy your cruise if you can.

Today: How long can you tread water. Sharks come to mind. Future: How long can you breathe vacuum. Shiet happens. Your personal emergency space suit remains in your state room. Yikes! :)

We booked most of our tours on the cruise ship itself. That way we are guaranteed the ship now sail with us not on board. The tours cost a bit more but well worth it IMHO.

I talked to a passenger the did not take to the tour offered by the cruise ship so they had take a small boat and meet up with the cruise ship after it ship had sailed. Had to use the entrance that the harbor pilot uses to get on and off of the ship. Not pleasant depending on the weather.

Folding knife on the ship, something like this for ports:
KA-BAR: TDI Shark Bite

Just got back Sunday from a 7 day cruise out of Miami. DR, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk.
Have to say I was far more concerned with my carry load in Miami than anywhere else.
Didn't think I would like cruising before my first one, now it's one of my favorite vacations.

8FF26625-FB40-441F-B32D-473AB4865990.jpeg 5585F82B-07F2-4461-BD1B-0F91869529EE.jpeg
Sunrise off our veranda and whales just below the surface of the water.

Get the new "Glock app" for your iPhone...

Seriously, though, here's what I would rely on:
  • Awareness - If you avoid the situation, you won't need to fight
  • A knife with a blade less than 4"
  • A solid, all-metal ball-point pen
  • My EDC flashlight as an impact weapon
  • Empty-handed skills (I'm no expert, but I know some)
  • Environmental weapons such as chairs, bottles, forks, metal stands, or ???
This stuff may not help you if the ship is boarded by a dozen AK-wielding Somali pirates. But, short of that, I think you'll be ok. These are what I rely on when we vacation in Maui.

Prohibited on the cruise ship

PROHIBITED ITEMS LIST

The safety and security of our guests and crew is our number one priority. The following items are prohibited on-board vessels. These items will be confiscated and not transported aboard. When an item is determined to be illegal the appropriate authorities will be informed.

• 1. All illegal narcotics/drugs. (Including Marijuana prescribed for medical purposes and other items used as drug paraphernalia. This includes Hookah Pipes).
  • 2. All firearms including replicas, imitations, non-firing weapons, starting pistols and their components
  • 3. Air, BB or pellet pistols or rifles
  • 4. Any other projectile-weapon or item that resembles or can be mistaken as a firearm (e.g., paint ball guns)
  • 5. All ammunition or replica ammunition for listed line items 2, 3 & 4
  • 6. All explosives, component parts (i.e. detonators) including imitation explosives and devices
  • 7. Fireworks, flares, and pyrotechnics
  • 8. Martial Arts Weapons (i.e. throwing stars, flails)
  • 9. Knives with a blade longer than 4 inches/10.16 cm
  • 10. Open razors
  • 11. Swords, Skean Dhus, or Kirpans
  • 12. Spears or spear guns
  • 13. Crossbows, crossbow bolts, and long bow arrows
  • 14. Blunt weapons including knuckle dusters, brass knuckles, clubs, telescopic batons, batons, flails or nunchaku
  • 15. Items containing incapacitating substances (e.g. gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable
  • 16. Restraining Devices (i.e. handcuffs, leg, and head restraining straps)
  • 17. Flammable substances and hazardous chemicals. (e.g., petrol, methylated spirits, paint thinners, lighter fuel, etc.)
  • 18. Any other item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon
  • 19. Stun devices (i.e. Tazers and Stun Guns)
  • 20. Large batteries
  • 21. Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, clothing irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.
  • 22. Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones
  • 23. Self-balancing hover boards, air wheels, scooters, or Segway's
  • 24. Compressed gas tanks, bottles, cylinders including dive tanks, propane tanks and large aerosol cans
  • 25. Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers
  • 26. Any form of radio/ telephone signal jamming equipment
  • 27. Samsung Note 7
  • 28. Candles
Princess and Holland cruises will grab up any locking blade folder.
Also, blades longer than 2 1/2" or 1/2" wide are a no no.
I had no issues on Norwegian, but Princess jumped on my Kershaw Leek like a duck on June bug.

" Where you going with all that cannon fuse?"
Uh, oh, he's going for the second one! Will it sink too? :s0112:
Evidently the main engines had gone out while at sea. They limped into San Juan harbor and there were 2 tugs pushing on the other side of the ship. The ship was trying to push outwards to overcome the hp of the 2 tugs (probably about 800hp each)as they pushed inwards. Tugs won!

Evidently the main engines had gone out while at sea. They limped into San Juan harbor and there were 2 tugs pushing on the other side of the ship. The ship was trying to push outwards to overcome the hp of the 2 tugs (probably about 800hp each)as they pushed inwards. Tugs won!
As they surely would. I'll bet someone was screaming bloody murder over a radio somewhere.

As they surely would. I'll bet someone was screaming bloody murder over a radio somewhere.
They repaired the gashes and headed back to their private island to try and salvage the cruise but delveloped more problems so they headed straight back to Port Canaveral. Guests all got a 100% credit.

The exception to my disdainment of cruises in general was the trip we took on the Amour River out of Khabarovsk Russia in 1994. This was one of the funnest and enriching things I have ever done. It was one of those long skinny 150' +/- shallow draft river cruisers. It was very personal, with no more than 50 or so passengers. We had a extremely talented troupe of entertainers that did everything from ballet to virtuoso accordion and balalaika performances. The ships doctor was also the ships masseur. As a doc he only made about $75 a month and did the other to supplement income. The activities director also taught Russian. The entertainers and above deck crew socialized with the passengers. Meals were, shall we say, a cultural experience, but the food kept us alive. An interesting feature of Russian hospitality was that at every dinner setting was a bottle of champagne AND a bottle of vodka. A lot of the tables were of older folks who didn't drink at all. I had quite a collection in my locker after a while. Among city stops, we pulled into the river bank several times and debarked on a plank to tour very rural villages with people and culture that closely resembled what one sees of the Haida and Athabaskan etc. I learned how to make salmon caviar from the cooks. In all, I guess it was a culturally immersive experience, rather than a show boat. Kind of spoiled me from being spoiled with the illusion of going somewhere.

The exception to my disdainment of cruises in general was the trip we took on the Amour River out of Khabarovsk Russia in 1994. This was one of the funnest and enriching things I have ever done. It was one of those long skinny 150' +/- shallow draft river cruisers. It was very personal, with no more than 50 or so passengers. We had a extremely talented troupe of entertainers that did everything from ballet to virtuoso accordion and balalaika performances. The ships doctor was also the ships masseur. As a doc he only made about $75 a month and did the other to supplement income. The activities director also taught Russian. The entertainers and above deck crew socialized with the passengers. Meals were, shall we say, a cultural experience, but the food kept us alive. An interesting feature of Russian hospitality was that at every dinner setting was a bottle of champagne AND a bottle of vodka. A lot of the tables were of older folks who didn't drink at all. I had quite a collection in my locker after a while. Among city stops, we pulled into the river bank several times and debarked on a plank to tour very rural villages with people and culture that closely resembled what one sees of the Haida and Athabaskan etc. I learned how to make salmon caviar from the cooks. In all, I guess it was a culturally immersive experience, rather than a show boat. Kind of spoiled me from being spoiled with the illusion of going somewhere.
That sounds like a pretty cool trip, except for the virtuoso accordion part. Certainly better than a bus trip with ages 16-80 and a guide who goes blah blah blah. You saw sights that ordinary trips don't see and in a close atmosphere with locals and native Russians. Now if you fished somewhere along the way it would have been darn near perfect!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top