JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Respectful disagreement here:

Cruise ships are not cheaply or thinly built. They are very well made, stable craft. The "righting moment" of these ships is such that a list would have to be so severe that the weather deck would have to be beyond submerged before the ship would no longer be able to right itself. Check out the following:

Here you will see 5 cruise ships in insane weather. It's hard to realize it on film, but these ships are in 60 foot and larger swells. While the ride is crazy, note how even a 100 foot wave could not take them out. The last ship, about the only large cruise ship to ever sink due to weather took days to go under. It wasn't until the funnel finally began taking on water that the speed of sinking approached a very great level.

Wikipedia has a good discussion on this, it's a quick and easy non-technical read:

Metacentric height - Wikipedia

While these ships may look top heavy the upper decks are mostly airspace. Think of a canoe with heavy lead ballast and a bunch of cardboard boxes stacked sky high. The cardboard boxes could rise many yards in the sky and the overall craft would still be stable.

These ships are more stable than many of the blue water navel vessels currently in use, including those of the U.S. Navy.

Hope this is interesting to somebody!

So let me get this straight.

You want to pay someone who you don't know thousands of dollars to take you on a boat ride where they control your every move? Also, you will not be allowed to have the tools needed to defend yourself if need be?

Sounds a lot like prison that you pay to get into.

No thanks.

We did a week long cruise on the Carribean Princess about 11 yrs ago and never once had to defend
myself against anything other than too much amazing food and a few water buffalos laying by the pool with too little cover up.

Downside to a cruise is day-1 your name is on the cabin door and are treated like royalty. Last day someone elses name is on the cabin door and the tone is more like GTFO the boat ASAP.

We did a week long cruise on the Carribean Princess about 11 yrs ago and never once had to defend
myself against anything other than too much amazing food and a few water buffalos laying by the pool with too little cover up.

Downside to a cruise is day-1 your name is on the cabin door and are treated like royalty. Last day someone elses name is on the cabin door and the tone is more like GTFO the boat ASAP.
MOOOOOOOO!

Compared to the old obsolete ocean liners NEW large cruise ships ARE thinly and cheaply built. Compare the old long gone USS United States with one of the newer cruise ships. Compare with the old Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth. For that matter compare with the new Canard liners. .Stability. Amount of steel per ton displacement. Speed. Compartmentalization. Hull type. One of these days a series of very non fortunate rogue wave events will hit one of these new mega cruise ships. What happens then is up for grabs.

About the only ocean liner I would trust today would be one of the new Canard ocean liners. Rumor has it about 20 of the crew are paid current duty SAS or SBS? Quite a secret armory also? :)

Cruise ships safe? Sure...
Fool me once...

titanic-disaster-news.jpg

Samsung Note 7?
Also banned from my unit in the hospital. They got added to lots of prohibited lists for the tendency of their batteries to explode into flame.

A 4 inch knife is actually quite useful, though exceptionally messy if you have to use one in a SD scenario. Some of Kershaw's offerings are cheap, fully manual and can be sharpened to ridiculous levels. I keep a skyline around, for just such occasions. It is not the best at keeping an edge, but I can sharpen it to insane sharpness. And in a SD scenario, you need good first strike abilities, not retaining of an edge cutting through leather or such.

The wifey and I love cruises. Have been on about 7 or 8. Violent crime is very rare with the exception of wife beaters and suicides. No worries mate! Although theft can be a problem, like any motel or hotel, keep your good stuff on you or locked up. Back when they still did formal dining we had lots of good jewelry, it's a risk.

Yes, they confiscated my wife's curling iron and her clothes steamer... no items allowed that can short and start a fire! They will also confiscate knives.

-break-

Port of Seattle was a real bear. And the birth certificate I had been using for 7 cruises was no longer considered valid... I had my original, they wanted a Certified copy. WTF?

The last cruise was to the glaciers in Alaska. On Princess line. Beware, the promoters out of Vancouver BC are booking heavily discounted group rates to the Chinese mainland. Trying not to be xenophobic but the chatter at full volume of talking over each other was not relaxing at all.

Speaking of which, will they please get those "fun counselors" on board to please stop all the yelling about fun while I am trying to lay in the sun with an umbrella drink while reading a book??????? Can't relax with all that "fun" loudness!!!

I wanna go on the old folks cruise lines. Everything is for the young crowds now. Might need to book a smaller ship. Say... a Windjammer cruise. One of my cousins went on the "steamer" run that supplies a bunch of their Carribean stops and said it was very nice and calm.
I am pretty sure I can hear the "fun councilors" as the ships go by our house that overlooks Admiralty Inlet!

I am pretty sure I can hear the "fun councilors" as the ships go by our house that overlooks Admiralty Inlet!

I'm sure that at the employment interviews they screen for loudness! Then some near the pool are even provided mics and PA systems! YIKES!!! Enough with trying to get us all up! I did enjoy watching the bathing suit - water balloon hiding game though. ;):D

Compared to the old obsolete ocean liners NEW large cruise ships ARE thinly and cheaply built. Compare the old long gone USS United States with one of the newer cruise ships. Compare with the old Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth. For that matter compare with the new Canard liners. .Stability. Amount of steel per ton displacement. Speed. Compartmentalization. Hull type. One of these days a series of very non fortunate rogue wave events will hit one of these new mega cruise ships. What happens then is up for grabs.

About the only ocean liner I would trust today would be one of the new Canard ocean liners. Rumor has it about 20 of the crew are paid current duty SAS or SBS? Quite a secret armory also? :)
Cruise ship hulls range from 11-13 inches thick (the Iowa class has a 12.5" belt) below the waterline and anywhere from 8-12 inches above the waterline. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't say 11-13 inches of steel plate below the waterline is thinly built.

Cruise ship hulls range from 11-13 inches thick (the Iowa class has a 12.5" belt) below the waterline and anywhere from 8-12 inches above the waterline. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't say 11-13 inches of steel plate below the waterline is thinly built.

He says all kind of stuff and we just ignore him!:p:D

J/K :s0084:

Hmmmm, as for construction differences, let's try and remember the old ships were typically "ocean liners" meant for TransAtlantic voyages. The new magaships are "Cruise ships" intended for relatively close in use. Different use = different construction. Huge improvements in design of watertight compartmentalization and design balance of heavy materials/items in the lower sections with lightweight materials used in upper areas (aluminum and fiber based) ensure that the tall megaships are well balanced even in rough seas. However, should the worst happen, the engineering crew has the ability to pump water to balance the ship... just don't run it up on the rocks or shoreline!!

Yes, Navy "cruise" ships have lots of armor:
Iowa-class battleship - Wikipedia

But civilian cruise ships appear to only have 30 mm steel hull plating (1.18").
How Cruise Ships Are Built

They are required to have a double bottom, and I read that some have double hulls:
Double bottom - Wikipedia

More on strength of ships:
Strength of ships - Wikipedia

Me? I'll stay on land. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show