JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a back up gun (Sig p238) but dont carry it, due to the fact that Im not entirely sure where to carry it.... iv debated ankle but decided that accessing it wouldn't be very good.... Pocket carry seems it wouldn't be good either due to maybe a snag or complications while trying to pull it out.... but those seem like the only two good places to keep them! lol...

Also I have a G27 and am getting a G23... I was thinking of carrying the G27 as a BUG and the G23 as a Primary but 2 guns on my waist may not be to comfy... :confused:

ID rather not turn this into a debate as to why one should or shouldnt carry a BUG.... to many threads go in the complete opposite direction of the original topic..
Im sure many of you think its dumb to carry one.. and im happy for you.. but I would like the opinions from people who do it or have considered it.. I dotn want this to turn into pages of how dumb it is you carry a BUG and how its pointless.

Sorry if that seems rude, its not meant to be that way.

Last Edited:
I really don't understand your logic in carrying two weapons. Of course it is your choice, but unless you are a LEO and in a position to need one often, I can't see a reason to do it. If for purely self defense, get a reliable weapon and be happy. The chances of ever needing the first is remote, and the second astronomical.

I've thought about where I would put it and considering that it is your backup. Pocket/ankle seem the only real viable options unless you shoulder carry for primary and waist carry as well. Also inside coat pocket especially during cold weather isn't a bad option either.

Maybe finding a smaller firearm that you're comfy with would benefit as it makes pocket/ankle much easier to pull off.

Last Edited:
I carry a NAA Black Widow .22 mag in my front pocket at all times. In fact it's in the pocket of the sweats Im wearing now, but there is also a cocked and locked Colt gold cup trophy on my desk. I carry everything from Kahr pm's in the summer to double stack .45's in the winter, but the Black Widow is always there. IMO glockguy, a G27 with good ammo and extra mag is a primary carry, but a person has to find his or her own comfort zone.

I don't bother with two pistols in the summer, but in the winter I just stick my p238 (I have one too) in my jacket breast pocket. If it's going to be a pain to carry two guns like it would if I carried in an ankle holster or something, forget it. My p229 is plenty reliable. If I won't even notice it like in a jacket pocket, then sure why the **** not?

Maybe I should get one of those NAA mini revolvers too, those are neat. If I had one o' those I might carry 2 pistols all the time and 3 in the winter! :D

I really don't understand your logic in carrying two weapons. Of course it is your choice, but unless you are a LEO and in a position to need one often, I can't see a reason to do it. If for purely self defense, get a reliable weapon and be happy. The chances of ever needing the first is remote, and the second astronomical.

YouTube - 2010 Shot Show: Massad Ayoob talks about carrying a second firearm

When the messiah speaks, one must listen. And have you ever scratched a lottery ticket? Because the chances are very remote you would win, maybe even astronomical.

<broken link removed>

This is something that I have been looking into as a way to primary carry but might also work for a BUG in your situation.

So I have a back up gun (Sig p238) but dont carry it, due to the fact that Im not entirely sure where to carry it.... iv debated ankle but decided that accessing it wouldn't be very good.... Pocket carry seems it wouldn't be good either due to maybe a snag or complications while trying to pull it out.... but those seem like the only two good places to keep them! lol...

Also I have a G27 and am getting a G23... I was thinking of carrying the G27 as a BUG and the G23 as a Primary but 2 guns on my waist may not be to comfy... :confused:

ID rather not turn this into a debate as to why one should or shouldnt carry a BUG.... to many threads go in the complete opposite direction of the original topic..
Im sure many of you think its dumb to carry one.. and im happy for you.. but I would like the opinions from people who do it or have considered it.. I dotn want this to turn into pages of how dumb it is you carry a BUG and how its pointless.

I'm not really sure where the problem is. I understand that you're worried about quick access with P238, but I don't understand why. A BUG is insurance in case your primary malfunctions and you can't clear it, or if you run out of ammo (carry a spare mag). Your primary should allow you to fight to cover. At this point, accessing a BUG on your ankle definitely feasible.

KangarooCarry.com sells my next purchase! There are LOTS of reasons to carry a backup gun! The biggest reason is that one arm is pinned or disabled so you need to use the other arm. Muggers rarely act alone, and usually a confederate or two will grab your arms first before you even know what is happening. Front pocket carry is best and that's where my primary weapon is, because you can just innocently stand there with a hand in your pocket, already grasping your undetected backup gun, instantly ready to draw if things get suddenly sour...........................elsullo ;)

KangarooCarry.com sells my next purchase! There are LOTS of reasons to carry a backup gun! The biggest reason is that one arm is pinned or disabled so you need to use the other arm. Muggers rarely act alone, and usually a confederate or two will grab your arms first before you even know what is happening. Front pocket carry is best and that's where my primary weapon is, because you can just innocently stand there with a hand in your pocket, already grasping your undetected backup gun, instantly ready to draw if things get suddenly sour...........................elsullo ;)

While I agree that a pocket holster is great for being ready without being conspicuous, I don't think it's "best" for a BUG. If you end up in a struggle and it goes to the ground, most of us will try to get into a guard position. Getting your hand into your pocket, then pulling a gun out, is going to be difficult. Assuming you need your BUG, things have gotten pretty bad. Being inconspicuous, at this point, is no longer relevant.

From cover or defense on the ground, an ankle holster will probably be easier to access.

AIWB is far superior in this respect.

No thanks on the little NAA revolvers. They are NOT true fighting weapons. If you are reaching for a BUG, that by nature is an act of desperation, you need something that will perform.

I agree in certain situations. But if you're crouching or an awkward position, AIWB can be difficult to draw.

If you didnt want to have them both on your waist you could get a dual shoulder holster I have one only hard part was teaching my left had to draw but little practice and that wasnt a problem anymore

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top