Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How was your opening day?

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by gtivan, Oct 1, 2011.

1. gtivan

gtivan Salem Member

Normally I skip opening day, but the son has a football game tomorrow. So we headed out mid morning.

Should have stayed at home though. Some yahoo in a white suburban was going too fast and never even turned his wheel. I ended up with my truck high centered on the road edge and tilting to the wrong side. Took 3 hours for us to get a tow truck up there.

I have been in vehicles that rolled before. But have never came so close without rolling one.

Truck came out okay, tow bill sucked though.

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It Sucked At 6:30 this morning I got a call telling me I had to work. So I went and Paved a Toyota dealership parking lot for 8 hours and after that I gave up on the idea of an evening hunt.

I'll let it rain all night long and go out in the morning.

3. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

Went target shooting does that count? Shot all the paint off the metal target.
    Mike

4. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

I spent the day at the range. Got my 165 gr Accubonds to nearly 3300 fps, so I'm happy.

5. giddyupgo55

giddyupgo55 Vernonia Active Member

Not hunting deer this year. Going to Idaho this year.

6. chainsaw

chainsaw East side of Or. Active Member

I didnt draw deer tags,but i work in the woods and heard only 1 shot.We are working on a mtn top that is at 7600 feet and can see Beattys buttes,Drakes peak and Hart mtn.I can see 50 miles into Nevada too.Saw several camps and none had any deer hanging in them.

7. yamahammer

yamahammer Vancouver, WA New Member

Took my son out for his first deer hunt, hunted hard all day and only saw one dead buck in the back of a pickup. At the end of the day my son said that it was one of the best days he's ever had. So even though we didn't bring home the trophy it was a good opening day.

8. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

That's what it's all about.
    Something about being footsore and skunked, and still being able to appreciate it!

9. sandman1212

sandman1212 NW Oregon Active Member

I worked all day and wished I was hunting, does that count?

10. herman76

herman76 sherwood or Member

I went friday nigth and stay ti'll this morning in a cabin in the woods , got really wet yesterday after a 5 hr hike , we got to run in to an elk, he was down, look at me and got away really fast, then we only saw a doe and lot of bear scat but was a really good opening weekend, ready for more good times.

11. never2many

never2many halsey Member

went out at first light and a hr into the hunt shot a 7x8 mule deer with a 25 inch spread. good times! get the mount back in 8 to 10 months! cant wait!

12. kizzao

kizzao Salem Member

Opening day seemed to be bad for almost everyone I've talked to. I was up at Stout mountain, a lot of other hunters saw Elks but no bucks and I didn't see anyone with a buck all day.

13. safooma

safooma Oregon Member

Went out with my father(70) and my son(12). At 6:00am there was already somebody in the spot that we had decided on when scouting earlier in the week. No one anywhere else ;-( 45 minutes later, bam bam from the same area--never did see if they got anything. Hunter hard all day, hiked all over the damn place and drove 100 or so miles but didn't see a damn thing. Lots of sign, but we didn't even see a doe.

Still though, drove through some beautiful country with my two best friends and did some shooting at lunch. My son drilled clay pigeons 5 out of 5 times at 125 yards with his 30-30, which made both dad and I smile. Overall, still a saturday well spent. Looking forward to next weekend already!

14. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

Carried a gun, but spent more time huntin shrooms than deer. Didn't go home empty handed,,, ;)

DSCI0004-1.jpg

nwwoodsman and (deleted member) like this.
  15. natef

natef Gresham OR Active Member

My work decided that we needed to do inventory on Saturday. you can sure tell there aren't any hunters in the top brass. all in all though from what i have heard not much was missed. we have a pretty specific place we go to hunt every year and its really not somewhere others can get to so im not that worried about having to wait till this weekend.

16. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I hunt private property belonging to distant relatives, mostly sagebrush, junipers, and wheat fields. Got on the stand at the edge of the big canyon at 05:30. At 6:45 got a nice big muley. Not much of a rack but he was the second largest by weight that I've taken in the last 10 years. Lots more deer around this year than the previous 3 years. We saw lots of deer, one bunch of 14 with 4 bucks. My SIL got skunked though so far. We'll be back next weekend. The really annoying thing was all the road hunters. Every inch of that country is private property and has been in the family since 1870. All weekend long they cruised the roads at 20 mph. We found two gut piles by the side of the road, and once we passed a very expensive pickup idling by the side of the road with nobody in sight. If there was ever a chance that the public would get some access to these properties the road hunters have sure put an end to it.

17. barrigadaharley

barrigadaharley hillsboro Active Member

spooked 7 does....3 fawns...2 fat spikes(swear one was a fork and horn)...and 4 cow elk....all in a 3 mile trek deep in the woods.....was a good enough weekend....hoping my luck is better next weekend.....

18. kalanikai

kalanikai Tigard Member

Took my 10 year old soon, hiked a lot, drove a lot and sat a lot with not a view of anything but some bear scat.

19. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Glad you got one. Lots of road hunters are idiots/completely ignorant. I remember always driving slow on roads during dear season when hunting close to roads with my 70 year old grandfather. We tried non to disturb others and one year helped some other people beth their deer up the hill.

As far as leaving the entrails, I don't like that either. I did shoot a coyote dining on some guts a hunter left by the road one year on private property.

20. TapRackNGo

TapRackNGo PNW Well-Known Member

Havent gone up yet, waiting for all the idiots to get frustrated and give up.