Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How Walmart is devouring the food system

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Boomerang, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Boomerang

Boomerang Portland area Active Member

Source: How Walmart is devouring the food system | Grist

7aa5P.jpg

2. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Damn, I'm glad that most of this doesn't directly effect me.

3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

They forgot to mention Federal subsidies that farmers get, and huge mega-farm operations like ADM that truly control the food supply and have everyone almost totally dependant on hybrid seed crops that do not propagate on its own, but have to be genetically "produced" in laboratories every year.

Also, fresh/raw foods by and large are cheaper than processed food weight for weight. So put down the double bacon cheeseburgers and french fries, your Monster Energy drinks, Red Bull, soft drinks, potato chips, nachos smothered in cheese sauce, deep fried deli chicken, and beer... and cry me a river.

4. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I rarely shop for food at Walmart because I find better prices at Winco and better quality at Costco.

Deacon, jmurray192, 3MTA3 and 13 others like this.
  5. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Same here except when we're on a trip in the MH, Wal*Marts are everywhere, Winco and Costco aren't.

6. DAPSRT

DAPSRT Dallas, Or Active Member

Spin off here but a lot of those garbage foods found at the local "convenience" store are ok to be purchased with food stamps...red bull included! Seems like if one was to think about it logically the money would be better spent on healthy natural staple foods like eggs, meat, bread,veggies etc. Guess things would be different if i was in charge!

7. DMax

DMax Yamhill Well-Known Member

I would be more worried about the USDA taking over the food supply and partnering up with China for import food grown in human waste and the USDA looking to make farmers pick GMO seeds or Non GMO which will contaiminate the entire food supply over time with unintended consquences. Good thing the USDA has nothing to do with guns:bluelaugh:

8. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Jesus not this bubblegum again.

9. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

I remember "fresh eggs" in L.A. Their yolks would not stand up: just flatten out in the pan....tired little suckers!

10. locobob

locobob Beaverton, Oregon Well-Known Member

I actively avoid Walmart and other mega-corporations and instead try to support small local business when ever possible. The government may have forgotten about anti-trust laws but I haven't.

11. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Eat local as much as possible. It's better all around and another $1.00 that a Walmart etc. isn't getting, but these mega corporations own our behinds already! For those who really want to help themselves in every way, garden and preserve your own foods. It's really not that hard.

12. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

My wife likes Walmart and Costco. I'm not particularly fond of them. Walmart just gives me the creeps, I like our local small produce store. Surprisingly affordable and really good veggies.

13. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Local fruit's and veggies are great!! Nothing like buying from the farmer and keeping you hard earned dollars in the community. That being said, I was very happy to walk into the Fred Meyer in Wilsonville this spring and summer and see them advertise multiple vegetable items from a friend of my sister's farm in Canby. Granted it's not directly from the farmer, but it's pretty local, and I get to support Fred Meyer, who my wife works for.

14. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

There is other 'sins' of China-Mart to be aware off. For instance they have recently been caught bribing government officials in Mexico. Let's see if the feds push this into the courts as bribery of foreign governments is a serious federal crime.

If you think it is not a big deal, I have to tell you that it is. Not only does it contribute to corruption but it also harms the little operations. They get their legal obsticles thrown in their way, while China-Mart gets the royal treatment.

15. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I see y'all telling about the great deals at wally world. This gun that ammo those food supplies.

So when the waltons have about 99% of all sales in the US,what do you think will happen to prices?

Now I mean after all the other stores can't compete.
    Don't think it could happen? They have the systems down pat brother,
    Keep shopping there but don't start b!tching when they have you by the balls and there is no other place to shop.

If there was "the Devil" it would be wally world

16. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Exactly. I will NEVER shop there for any reason.

PDXSparky and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

As a non-wally world shopper, I hope I'm not part of that "y'all". :)

Chains aren't necessarily bad, but I don't like many of their business practices. Plus the "vibe" I get from the stores just doesn't feel right. I like Fred Meyers, my local one is quite nice. Bi-mart is more bare-bones in many ways, but their staff is more pleasant, in my experience.

oknow and (deleted member) like this.
  18. ronin223

ronin223 Portland Active Member

Thank god I love shopping at walmart

with that purchasing power, you cannot go wrong

unless you are a union democrat lackey

19. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

GMO Labeling Bill Shot Down In Senate Just Days Before March Against Monsanto | The Daily Sheeple

On May 25, activists around the world will unite to March Against Monsanto.

Why do we march?

Research studies have shown that Monsanto’s genetically-modified foods can lead to serious health conditions such as the development of cancer tumors, infertility and birth defects.

In the United States, the FDA, the agency tasked with ensuring food safety for the population, is steered by ex-Monsanto executives, and we feel that’s a questionable conflict of interests and explains the lack of government-led research on the long-term effects of GM products.

Recently, the U.S. Congress and president collectively passed the nicknamed “Monsanto Protection Act” that, among other things, bans courts from halting the sale of Monsanto’s genetically-modified seeds.

For too long, Monsanto has been the benefactor of corporate subsidies and political favoritism. Organic and small farmers suffer losses while Monsanto continues to forge its monopoly over the world’s food supply, including exclusive patenting rights over seeds and genetic makeup.

Monsanto’s GM seeds are harmful to the environment; for example, scientists have indicated they have contributed to Colony Collapse Disorder among the world’s bee population.

20. LoneStar

LoneStar WA Active Member

I am not a union democrat lackey but I don't shop at Walmart. I don't like their customers. I also do not like to give my money to corportists.

Grunwald and (deleted member) like this.