JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How do you battle zero a Matech BUIS on a 16" AR-15 M4 style carbine? The range has 25, 50, and 100 meter distances. I've already downloaded the 25 meter M4 zero target from ohmr.ohio.gov/forms/ohmr2444-b.pdf. So I'm almost ready to go.

ANSWER

Zeroing Instructions:

To zero the M4/M4A1 Carbine, turn the range knob intil the line on the sight cam on the left side is aligned with the 300 meter mark. Use the 25-meter zero target for the M4 Carbine and center your rounds by adjusting the weapon front sight post and the BUIS windage adjustment knob.

To zero the M16A4 Rifle, turn the range knob intil the line on the sight cam on the left side is aligned with the white line between the 300 and the 400 meter marks. This mark is the half notch location, so it's more difficult to align. Use the 25-meter zero target for the M16A2/M16A4 Rifle and center your rounds by adjusting the weapon front sight post and the BUIS windage adjustment knob.

Please take this with a grain of salt because I've never done it. However we have holiday company - one ex NG and one ex Marine, both much younger than I and both been to Iraq. I asked them.

Both said basically the same thing. They never were outside of urban areas like one might be now in Afghanistan. They never fired farther than 300 yards at a BG, only in training.

Both agreed on several things. Run the rear sight all the way down and then raise it a couple of clicks. After that, all elevation adjustments are with the front sight and all windage is with the rear sight. Zero at 25 yards and you will be real close at 300 yards, so use 25 yards to start and then fine tune at 300. All shots after that from zero to 400 yards will be kill zone.

They also said that they never were told to adjust the sight for longer shots, but rather to learn to hold over. Takes too long to adjust.

Now, if anyone knows better, kick my fanny. I'm just passing on what I was told this morning. BTW, they both gave you a big thumbs up on that sight system. :s0155:

It all depends upon what your intention/mission is with the BUIS. If for home defense and/or personal defense then typically a BUIS is just that...a Back up Iron Sight to something else that is primary vis a' vis a Red Dot or similar other optic. If so then I would not set it up as a ranged device anyway where you dial in a designated/specific meter. Instead I'd set it up for Maximum Point Blank Range (MPBR) which is used to coincide with your primary.

If you're using it solely as the primary sight then you probably won't be tickled with it as a precise sighting instrument much beyond 100 to 150 yards and might want to considered obtaining something different if this is your mission. More on the rationale why in a second...

I'm incapable of fully articulating the step-by-step protocol here but assuming my assumption is correct (it is for defense and is a secondary sight) then you want to co-witness the BUIS with the primary sight and most likely set it up for a Battle Zero (BZ) or Improved Battle Zero (IBZ) or one of the other similar BZ's which will allow you to fully take advantage of the rifle/sight's maximum point blank range.

While the sight has different delineations for firing solutions at various distances, unless you match exactly the sight to the cartridge it was designed and calibrated for (M855) and have the same barrel length, twist, and sighting radius, it is highly unlikely you'll match very closely through all the different distances consistantly.
Also a BUIS is not a precise match calibrated device anyway, so if you crank up 300m don't expect it even with load it was designed for to be match accurate. My experience, is it will get you close but not necessarily 'on'. And as we know close only works in horseshoes.

And as was stated by Gunner, in most urbanized conflict the longest shot anyone might take is 100 yards or less. Unless there is a total collapse of civilization it is going to be mighty challenging to convince a jury one was justified shooting at long distances for defense (unless it is in a wilderness setting or other mitigating circumstances).

If a person understands the concept behind a Battle Zero and Maximum Point Blank Range especially within the context of self defense and one understands the mission and limitations/tradeoffs of a BUIS, then a BUIS will be suitable for that mission if the primary fails.

:D :D

Thanks Dan. I just had them read this and they laughed at me and told me that you said the same thing they did, but they used "easier words" for me to stay non-technical. They agree with you 100%. :s0155:

They especially agree about the distances used. They both said almost all shot opportunities were in fact well under 100 yards, many almost point blank.

Now we're going to inspect my AR's and then go outside and check them for "BZO." I'm going to get some good instruction and some AR tuning this morning. :s0155:

Something I saved from and email to PADS/Matech folks years ago:

"To zero the M16A4 Rifle, turn the range knob intil the line on the sight cam on the left side is aligned with the white line between the 300 and the 400 meter marks. This mark is the half notch location, so it's more difficult to align. Use the 25-meter zero target for the M16A2/M16A4 Rifle and center your rounds by adjusting the weapon front sight post and the BUIS windage adjustment knob."

I have these rear sights and love them! Very rugged and easy to use. Plus, if and when you get proficient with them, ranging targets is also possible!

Hope this helps. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top