JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you are buying he brings the gun to an Oregon FFL. You meet him there, ffl will do the back ground check and transfer. Easy and will keep you out of jail. If you are trading a gun to him, you will have to drive to Wash FFL and they will do the transfer and background check. A bit of driving but worth it if you both want to trade. Just did this a few weeks ago and only took about 2 hours total even with driving from Portland to Vancouver.
Good luck

It matters if they are handguns or rifles/shotguns unfortunately. bwchase is correct in that you have to meet at an FFL in the state of of the 'buyer' in the case of the sale for HANDGUNS.

Situations for a trade:
Oregon TO Washington
Handgun___Rifle::::::: Must meet at a Washington FFL, since the recipient of the handgun is in Washington
Rifle______Handgun::: Must meet at an Oregon FFL, since the recipient of the handgun is in Oregon
Rifle______Rifle:::::::: Can meet at ANY FFL for the BG checks
Handgun___Handgun:: Must do transfers at BOTH an Oregon and Washington FFL.

Alternatively, I think there are a few FFLs in Vancouver/PDX (coctailer comes to mind, though I could be mistaken) that can do the transfer as a middle man, since they are considered FFLs in both states because they did the appropriate amount of paperwork.

Thanks.

Just called ATF to make sure and they say that you have to go to WA and do the FFL transfer for my gun to him, then come back to Oregon to transfer his gun to me. What a pain in the ***. Sad thing is I think they will try to collect 8.4% tax on the value of the gun he is getting. Joys of being a WA resident I guess.

If the guy doesn't want to do it right I am going to back out. I realize there is very little chance we would get into trouble, but on top of everything else he wants to do the trade in the parking lot of a gun show up there. Even though the deal was decided on outside of the show, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a cop in the parking lot and if he saw us he would have reason to come see what we were doing.

I want his gun, but not bad enough to risk the cost of a lawyer and losing all of my guns.

Thanks.

Just called ATF to make sure and they say that you have to go to WA and do the FFL transfer for my gun to him, then come back to Oregon to transfer his gun to me. What a pain in the ***. Sad thing is I think they will try to collect 8.4% tax on the value of the gun he is getting. Joys of being a WA resident I guess.

If the guy doesn't want to do it right I am going to back out. I realize there is very little chance we would get into trouble, but on top of everything else he wants to do the trade in the parking lot of a gun show up there. Even though the deal was decided on outside of the show, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a cop in the parking lot and if he saw us he would have reason to come see what we were doing.

I want his gun, but not bad enough to risk the cost of a lawyer and losing all of my guns.

Good call :) I'm glad someone confirmed that Coctailer has both FFLs, I thought so, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks.

Actually, because it is a trade, it may not be necessary to pay the "use tax" Cansider when you trade a car, you pay tax on the difference, not the total.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top