JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi this is the first time I've posted on sites like this. I was wanting to know if i could switch out cylinders on my Colt Frontier Scout 62. It is the "P" model and on the barrel it has Colt Frontier Scout '62 22cal doesn't have 22lr on barrel so I was wondering can I change the cylinder which is 22lr to a 22mag cylinder? I know some of this guns came with both cylinders but not sure how to tell if mine was one of those models or if it is made to just shoot 22lr. Any help in figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

It is OK to shoot the 22lr as that is what it is chambered for, also 22L, 22 short, CB caps. In order to shoot 22mag you would need to have a gunsmith work on the cylinder (if you find one) to make sure the timing is correct with your pistol. You can not just put in a 22mag cylinder from a different pistol even if same model/brand with out taking it to a gunsmith.

I have been shooting 22lr but I was just wondering if it is the model that came with the interchangeable cylinders? Some of the '62 "P" models came with both cylinders that you could swap out and before buying the cylinder I would like to make sure it will work. It doesn't say 22lr on the barrel like I've heard most that only shot 22lr would have it just says 22cal which is leading me to believe that it is the interchangeable version but still would like to make sure.

Shouldnt matter as the cylinders are the same length. The only difference is the fact one came with the magnum cylinder that was timed for that gun and therefore cost more. Ruger Super Single Six's have the partial serial number etched on the face of the magnum cylinder to verify it is timed to that gun.

It is OK to shoot the 22lr as that is what it is chambered for, also 22L, 22 short, CB caps. In order to shoot 22mag you would need to have a gunsmith work on the cylinder (if you find one) to make sure the timing is correct with your pistol. You can not just put in a 22mag cylinder from a different pistol even if same model/brand with out taking it to a gunsmith.

The 22mag bullet is a tad larger than the 22lr in diameter.The case is longer and larger than the bullet in diameter ,unlike the 22lr. So you can't modify the cylinder to shoot both.
And the barrel would have to be "miced" to check to see if is chambered for the 22mag or 22lr.

Shouldnt matter as the cylinders are the same length. The only difference is the fact one came with the magnum cylinder that was timed for that gun and therefore cost more. Ruger Super Single Six's have the partial serial number etched on the face of the magnum cylinder to verify it is timed to that gun.

Again,the single six barrel,if the gun came with the 22mag cylinder,was chambered for 22 mag and the 22lr will "float" in the barrel a little
Not a perfect fit,but it will shoot.
You have to check the diameter of the barrel to see if it is made for a 22mag,as the 22mag is a little larger in diameter than the 22lr

The 22mag bullet is a tad larger than the 22lr in diameter.The case is longer and larger than the bullet in diameter ,unlike the 22lr. So you can't modify the cylinder to shoot both.
And the barrel would have to be "miced" to check to see if is chambered for the 22mag or 22lr.

No you cant modify the cylinder but you can get a mag cylinder as I said.

Again,the single six barrel,if the gun came with the 22mag cylinder,was chambered for 22 mag and the 22lr will "float" in the barrel a little
Not a perfect fit,but it will shoot.
You have to check the diameter of the barrel to see if it is made for a 22mag,as the 22mag is a little larger in diameter than the 22lr

He also stated it was marked 22cal not 22lr which meens in these pistols that it was a dual barrel. But yes while at the smith it could be checked to verify as well.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top