JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up some lead as part of a package deal for some other misc. loading components. I don't know what kind of lead it is, neither did the seller.

I've tried searching this site and searching the internet, but I can't seem to find an answer - is there any way for me to tell what kind of lead I have? Pure lead? Lyman #2? Something else? If I don't know what it is, what's the best option for using it? It's in ingots, but not marked in any way - about 15 - 20lbs worth.

I know some good folks here will know the answer to this question. I'll be waiting ;)

Some sort of hardness tester would be optimal but barring that, maybe dent a known artifact like a "standard" lead wheel weight and then use that same exact method to dent your ingot(s).. should give you something of an idea.

There is only one way that I know of to be sure, Take it to a metallurgist and have them shoot it. Costs about a hundred bucks :D (or you could just go get 20 pounds of known material and take what you got to the scrap yard.)

Me, I'd cast like 20 and ladder load groups of 2-5 to creep up to "target"/low velocity specs. Even pure lead shouldn't lead up to around 1000-1200 (think .22lr etc).
Just don't load up or cast a bunch of it until it has proven itself.

I picked up some lead as part of a package deal for some other misc. loading components. I don't know what kind of lead it is, neither did the seller.

I've tried searching this site and searching the internet, but I can't seem to find an answer - is there any way for me to tell what kind of lead I have? Pure lead? Lyman #2? Something else? If I don't know what it is, what's the best option for using it? It's in ingots, but not marked in any way - about 15 - 20lbs worth.

I know some good folks here will know the answer to this question. I'll be waiting ;)

Probably not what you want to hear but if it was me I would toss it. This is one of those things that is it worth the risk = the reward? If I had hundreds of pounds of the stuff I would want to find out. For that amount I would not want to risk messing with it. It is most likely some kind of mix that would work fine. Problem is it could easily be something like some kind of zinc alloy. Since the original owner had no idea who knows where he got it from. If someone down the line grabbed it up at a scrap yard or at some job who knows what it was or what it was for. Now as long as it's something that will melt at casting temp would this hurt? I just don't know. Like I said if I ended up with hundreds of pounds of something, and was still casting, I would do some work to find out. For 20 or so pounds that would be what 20 or so bucks worth if it is a good alloy? I would toss it.

This is going to sound arrogant and painfully obvious, but @etrain16 you're title got me chuckling. :D

Lead is lead, there is only one kind. It's an element and that's it. Pb on the periodic table to be exact. Anything else is an alloy. Whether it be Lyman #2 or otherwise. Like others have stated, the effort and cost to determine if it's lead or a lead alloy far outweigh the value of what you got. Melt it down and make some fishing weights, use it for a counterweight for a cool tabletop trebuchet (I made one once). But if you aren't sure and are worried about making it into projectiles.....just don't. :)

Last Edited:
Don't toss it!! There are a number of people here with hardness testers that can use it. I sold over three thousand pounds of lead of unknown alloy, most of it on this site. It's worth about a buck a pound. First rule of "thumb", if you can carve it with your thumbnail it is pure or very nearly pure. Zinc is much harder than lead and its alloys.

Well, one thing I won't do is toss it, because I do have a use for it no matter what it is - slingshot ammo. Lead makes great slingshot ammo because it won't ricochet on a harder target like steel does.

I'm looking to cast both for black powder and cast bullets - so if it's pure lead, it will go for BP, or an ALLOY (thanks @Kruejl, you are correct, I stand in error - damn newbs!) could go to cast bullets. Either way, this is all new for me, I won't be casting any great quantities at this point. And if I can't figure out what it is, it will become slingshot ammo.

Well, one thing I won't do is toss it, because I do have a use for it no matter what it is - slingshot ammo. Lead makes great slingshot ammo because it won't ricochet on a harder target like steel does.

I'm looking to cast both for black powder and cast bullets - so if it's pure lead, it will go for BP, or an ALLOY (thanks @Kruejl, you are correct, I stand in error - damn newbs!) could go to cast bullets. Either way, this is all new for me, I won't be casting any great quantities at this point. And if I can't figure out what it is, it will go to slingshot ammo.

I hope you know me well enough to know I was just having fun with your thread title, my friend. ;)

This is going to sound arrogant and painfully obvious, but @etrain16 you're title got me chuckling. :D

Lead is lead, there is only one kind. It's an element and that's it. Pb on the periodic table to be exact. Anything else is an alloy. Whether it be Lyman #2 or otherwise. Like others have stated, the effort and cost to determine if it's lead or a lead alloy far outweigh the value of what you got. Melt it down and make some fishing weights, use it for a counterweight for a cool tabletop trebuchet (I made one once). But if you aren't sure and are worried about making it into projectiles.....just don't. :)

Well maybe I came up with a new element, like Tony Stark did, did you think about that? :p

Yeah, yeah, it should probably say "lead alloy" - maybe a nice mod could change that??? :rolleyes:

I don't fish, so no need for fishing weights, but a tabletop trebuchet sounds pretty cool!!

I'm looking to cast both for black powder and cast bullets - so if it's pure lead, it will go for BP, or an ALLOY (thanks @Kruejl, you are correct, I stand in error - damn newbs!) could go to cast bullets. Either way, this is all new for me, I won't be casting any great quantities at this point. And if I can't figure out what it is, it will go to slingshot ammo.

If you want to cast it into something like sling shot ammo I would also buy something cheap to melt it in. Small cast iron pot of some kind. Check second hand stores and such. I would not want to put it in a lead furnace you use for casing. The possibility of zinc is what scares me there. Lee made or used to make a little pot for doing this on the stove. It was my first try at casting. May find one on Ebay. That way if this does turn out to be some kind of zinc you have not screwed up a good lead furnace.

Well maybe I came up with a new element, like Tony Stark did, did you think about that? :p

Yeah, yeah, it should probably say "lead alloy" - maybe a nice mod could change that??? :rolleyes:

I don't fish, so no need for fishing weights, but a tabletop trebuchet sounds pretty cool!!
yeabut then some snotnose would say "yeabut lead isn't an alloy!" lol, you could go "lead/alloy" but screw that..

Melt some known lead in your pot first. Add the new stuff. If it floats take it out because it's zinc or something else unleaded. If it settles into the liquid it's lead.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top