JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, I 'm looking for a little advice. ... I just built an AR chambered in .300 Blackout. I chose this because I already have a nice Beaver Creek Armory .30 cal suppressor.
My suppressor when fired, even with my .300 Win Mag, it's really quiet. With my .308 Savage 110 bolt gun, you can only hear the hypersonic crack.
20190818_193326.jpg 20190818_193510.jpg
I test fired it my new AR today using "subsonic" ammo. By all means, it should be really quiet. Much to my surprise, it was pretty loud.
What am I doing wrong? Is this something with the gas system? Do I need something different with the gas tube or block?

Hey, I 'm looking for a little advice. ... I just built an AR chambered in .300 Blackout. I chose this because I already have a nice Beaver Creek Armory .30 cal suppressor.
My suppressor when fired, even with my .300 Win Mag, it's really quiet. With my .308 Savage 110 bolt gun, you can only hear the hypersonic crack.
View attachment 609693View attachment 609694
I test fired it my new AR today using "subsonic" ammo. By all means, it should be really quiet. Much to my surprise, it was pretty loud.
What am I doing wrong? Is this something with the gas system? Do I need something different with the gas tube or block?
The port pop from a semiauto will always make it louder than a bolt gun. An adjustable gb isn't really needed for subsonics. You could try a heavier buffer to delay unlocking a little more. Try an H1 or H2 buffer and see if it quiets down.

don't mean to kick a man when he is down but I cant find any good reviews on line of that suppressor or the company.
gas length, pistol or carbine?
The suppressor is a custom made by a class 2 guy in Beaverton. He makes them and sells them to anyone willing to pay for the tax stamp. Nice and was custom made for my .300 win mag. It just happens to work super on my .308 as well. My new .300 blackout has the same threads and caliber, so I screwed it on and gave it a try. It may not be the best, but I have to say, from the way it performed on my other rifles, that I had higher expectations.

The port pop from a semiauto will always make it louder than a bolt gun. An adjustable gb isn't really needed for subsonics. You could try a heavier buffer to delay unlocking a little more. Try an H1 or H2 buffer and see if it quiets down.
Thanks a bunch. I had a feeling that it was this... I mean there is a reason bolt guns are more accurate than autoloaders. I figured that the sound suppression was the same.

My 8" 300 BLK is load compared to my bolt or single shots, I use an adjustable gas block and fast burning powder like lil gun and that helps.

I run a few SIG Rattlers with the 5.5" barrels. With the Griffen Recce 7 suppressor, it's considerably quieter than w/o. However, with such a short barrel it's going to be loud. My custom loaded 220g 300BLO Subs are just South of being ok w/o ear pro. I have a SIG SRD762 that just cleared that should be in my hands in a week. I will see if there is any noticeable difference between the Griffen and the SIG, don't expect any by ear.

My first AR build was an SBR with a 10.5" Rainer barrel in 300 BLK.
I bought an AAC 7.62 SDN-6 can and other then being heavy, it's wicked quiet with sub sonic rounds.

@v0lcom13sn0w have you noticed this with your's suppressed?

Curious on this one since I'm getting ready to build mine.
chamber pop is common on any suppressed semi auto. i reduced it on my glock with a heavier spring to keep the action closed just a touch longer. it doesnt happen on bolt guns because the bolt doesnt cycle. lol. my 300blk is quiet. i shot side by side with a sig virtus pistol in 300blk the barrel IIRC was a 9 or 10". its a piston gun with an adjustable gas block with two settings. "suppressed" and "not suppressed" his can was a surefire socom 300sps it was just a touch quieter (seriously barely noticable) than my 10" 300blk DI gun with the hybrid 46. we were unable to swap suppressors as our mounts are different to see if it was the gun or the can that made it quieter. we both took 3 shots then compared them side to side so there was no "first round pop"

300blk out of an AR will be louder than a 300blk out of a bolt gun

chamber pop is common on any suppressed semi auto. i reduced it on my glock with a heavier spring to keep the action closed just a touch longer. it doesnt happen on bolt guns because the bolt doesnt cycle. lol. my 300blk is quiet. i shot side by side with a sig virtus pistol in 300blk the barrel IIRC was a 9 or 10". its a piston gun with an adjustable gas block with two settings. "suppressed" and "not suppressed" his can was a surefire socom 300sps it was just a touch quieter (seriously barely noticable) than my 10" 300blk DI gun with the hybrid 46. we were unable to swap suppressors as our mounts are different to see if it was the gun or the can that made it quieter. we both took 3 shots then compared them side to side so there was no "first round pop"

300blk out of an AR will be louder than a 300blk out of a bolt gun

My SIG Virtus in 300blk has a factory 9" barrel. Loves the 220g subs I load. I have a 10" 300blk barrel for an AR that was given to me. I bought the bits to build it up as an AR but thinking I might make a bolt AR out of it. I can load the 220's down to where they drop a noticeable db, just velocity takes a nose dive. Like stupid slow.

My SIG Virtus in 300blk has a factory 9" barrel. Loves the 220g subs I load. I have a 10" 300blk barrel for an AR that was given to me. I bought the bits to build it up as an AR but thinking I might make a bolt AR out of it. I can load the 220's down to where they drop a noticeable db, just velocity takes a nose dive. Like stupid slow.
i load berrys 220gr and hor. 208gr bthp right at 1035ish fps. ive loaded them as low as 900 but they nose dive pretty good! LOL

My thoughts are you want as much of that gas escaping out the front as possible versus coming back out of the ejection port. The main way you would achieve this is through the design of the suppressor itself. Of course this isn't an issue with bolt action rifles. You shouldn't "need" an adjustable gas block but by nature, some barrels are ported for more gas coming back toward your face and you might be able to benefit from one. With subsonics, if you undergas them, the gun might not cycle reliably.
So I guess the question, is it TOO loud? You should be well within hearing safe when shooting 300blk subs suppressed.

The suppressor is a custom made by a class 2 guy in Beaverton. He makes them and sells them to anyone willing to pay for the tax stamp. Nice and was custom made for my .300 win mag. It just happens to work super on my .308 as well. My new .300 blackout has the same threads and caliber, so I screwed it on and gave it a try. It may not be the best, but I have to say, from the way it performed on my other rifles, that I had higher expectations.

What does he charge?

Nice and was custom made for my .300 win mag.
Well. there's your problem! ;)

So a bit of an oversimplification, but super sonic rounds (especially ones like the 300 WinMag that produced a large volume of gas) do best with a larger blast chamber and fewer baffles with more space between them and subsonic low gas volume rounds like the 300 BLK do better with a smaller blast chamber and more baffles with (you guessed it!:)) less space between each baffle. A larger blast chamber will be more likely to give you noticeable 'first round pop' on the 300 BLK

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads