JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been using a Sharpie Paint Pen. Looks and works just like a regular Sharpie but lays down enamel paint. Comes in a variety of colors and more durable than ink. I find the light blue or metallic silver to work well for me. I have also used it to mark holsters too.

I tried colored adhesive dots on the bottom of the mags. But I quickly forgot what they meant and they fell off rather quickly.
How long do the paint pens last before drying up? And how wear resistant is the writing, meaning does it rub off rather quickly or last a long time?

How long do the paint pens last before drying up? And how wear resistant is the writing, meaning does it rub off rather quickly or last a long time?
The pens have a cap to prevent drying. I have pens that are probably over 3 years old right now and still writing. I usually lose or empty them before they die.
The enamel paint is very durable; depending on whether it's a friction point or not. For my mags, I mark the bottom of the base plate and not the side of the mag. A quick touch up is easy enough too. I have some mags that have been marked for about 15 years. Daily use Holsters get a touch up every other year or so.

I have it easy in that all my pistols, save one, are Glocks so I just mark with a color for caliber and move on. My mag fed rifles are either 5.56 ARs or one of two AKs with distinct mags. Probably not the best response you'll ever get, but it's what I have to give:)

I label my magazines with a bit of colored tape.

Orange=50gr TSX
Yellow=55gr
Green=62gr LAP
Blue=62gr-69gr
Red=70gr-77gr

These were the colors of Duck Tape at Home Depot.

50 handguns requires some planning. If it were me and they all had different magazines, I'd have 50 small bags holding 50 pistols with the magazines for each in the bag with the pistol.

When you use a Sharpie to mark mags or other equipment use oil based Sharpie instead of a regular one.

Unlike regular Sharpies, oil based Sharpie paint can be cleaned off as follows if necessary:

"Apply a small amount of acetone to a cotton ball or pad. Lightly dab the affected surface to dissolve the paint marking; isopropyl alcohol, or rubbing alcohol, is equally as effective in removing small amounts of dry oil and latex paint."

Personally, I like to use the fluorescent colors. I have also been known to use a small amount of Sharpie paint(s) on the rear of rifle sight posts for extra visability.

Regular sharpies will clean off with alcohol if you aren't using the red 'Permanent' type.

I find using the silver sharpies the most useful as all of my magazines are black.

I also use blue painters tape and mark magazines for target or HD. Target magazines have no tape. Home defense magazines have tape. Really easy to distinguish or considering target magazines are not in the safe and defensive mags are in the safe next to their respectful firearm.

I use the oil base sharpies. I mark on the bottom plates, and bottom sides, caliber etc. Other colors (on the bottom sides) for ID

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top