JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i have around 50 handguns in the safe. It's hard finding the right magazines to gather when I pack up for the range. Don't have a problem with the long guns as I have cases for each rifle and keep them there. I have a vinyl on my safes inside door which I don't use. I was thinking of engraving each mag and remove some of the door pistol positions and put in magnets. I'd like to hear what others do. Thanks

Or just a Sharpie paint-pen... on my AR's I mark my Pmags in yellow for both capacity and mag ID (for example, #4003 is a 40-round, and should it fail it'll be relabeled "T403" with the next 40 sliding in as 4003 to replace it) and unreliable mags I keep only as malfunction trainers get marked in blue.

For Glocks, I might use a two-digit number for either intended model or caliber, then two more for individual mags. Example, standard that came with a G19 might be numbered 1901. Or number with model and cap, for example a 33-rounder meant for a G18 (despite their being no civvy legal G18's since they have Da Switch) might be designated 1833-02 (G18, 33-round cap, 2nd mag of that type in active service.)

The important thing is, pick a marking system *you* will remember. Or you can just buy some small ammo cans and load those with mags, say all your 1911 mags go in one, all your 9mm Glocks in another, .40 S&W Shields in another...

I like a seperate soft case for each pistol . It helps keep the holsters with the right pistol as well.

s-l225.jpg 27961_PRODMAIN-1600x1600-2.jpg

Ones like this Allen don't take up much room and protect your investment.

7745_prodmain-2-copy_x1000.jpg

i have around 50 handguns in the safe. It's hard finding the right magazines to gather when I pack up for the range. Don't have a problem with the long guns as I have cases for each rifle and keep them there. I have a vinyl on my safes inside door which I don't use. I was thinking of engraving each mag and remove some of the door pistol positions and put in magnets. I'd like to hear what others do. Thanks
Sounds like you need a separate ammo/magazine safe.
Then use nylon tool bags (range bags) to organize and label.
Done right it would be a "grab and go" type thing.

Craftsman 13 in. for example.
Crazy cheap @ $5.99 ea (hurry before the tariffs hit) :)
81dkkfV8SgL._SX425_.jpg

Last Edited:
Not as big of a problem for us, as we do not have too many differing platforms.

We keep mags for the lesser used platforms boxed & empty on shelving , in the storage room. Boxes labeled.

For carry, house & camp guns, spare magazines are charged and the extras are in pistol range bags. The more common carry/house guns, we have "plenty" of mags for. These guns see more frequent practice, with overflow charged mags (above what fits into the sleeves and pockets of pistol range bags) in simple 6 slot Midway pistol magazine pouches.

Just checked Midway, looks like they may have dropped the pistol range bags we use. Too bad too, as they are (were) a great value, and perfect sized. Shoulda picked up a few more of them on special...

Was these guys here: MidwayUSA Tactical Pistol Case 14 Olive Drab - MPN: 226001

—-says "out of stock, no backorder", I hope they continue them—-

Looks as they still have the simple 6 slot pouches. Used to go on special from time to time ?$7-$10. These pouches: MidwayUSA 6 Mag Pouch Double Stack Pistol

—-says "out of stock, backorder ok"—-

Some good ideas above.
Instead of engraving, maybe paint-fill what stampings are already there? something like this..

upload_2018-4-8_18-10-51.jpeg

Last Edited:
I have used the Midway pistol cases for several years. Well made and large enough to put the Allen case and a holster inside. Ammo and cleaning gear in the large rear pockets. One of three the zipper ripped out on but not too bad. Holds a bunch of mag's.
521124.jpg

Not as big of a problem for us, as we do not have too many differing platforms.

We keep mags for the lesser used platforms boxed & empty on shelving , in the storage room. Boxes labeled.

For carry, house & camp guns, spare magazines are charged and the extras are in pistol range bags. The more common carry/house guns, we have "plenty" of mags for. These guns see more frequent practice, with overflow charged mags (above what fits into the sleeves and pockets of pistol range bags) in simple 6 slot Midway pistol magazine pouches.

Just checked Midway, looks like they may have dropped the pistol range bags we use. Too bad too, as they are (were) a great value, and perfect sized. Shoulda picked up a few more of them on special...

Was these guys here: MidwayUSA Tactical Pistol Case 14 Olive Drab - MPN: 226001

—-says "out of stock, no backorder", I hope they continue them—-

Looks as they still have the simple 6 slot pouches. Used to go on special from time to time ?$7-$10. These pouches: MidwayUSA 6 Mag Pouch Double Stack Pistol

—-says "out of stock, backorder ok"—-

We talking 10-15 mags per pistol? Or just the ones that came with them?

If it is a "just the ones it cane with" scenario, store those that are not used often in their original package with the pistol in the safe, if there is room.

If it's the "10-???" mags per pistol route, magnets work well, but perhaps an external organizer or Tupperware products. There are nice magazine ready ammo cans available too.

619S6mVCAqL._SL1058_.jpg

Me too. And since I shoot mostly 9mm Glocks and 5.56 AR's, it made it pretty easy to figure out what goes to what. The RPR mag is always in it, as is the 77/22 WMR. I have a few extra for them, and they obviously don't fit on a Glock or an AR.

I use dots you can pick up colors at Walmart like three bucks. Then just have a color code quick easy cheap.
When they wear down put a new dot. I can even store and put a number code on the dot for grain when they are
loaded I am lazy and 20.00 you can buy a heck of allot of dots.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top