JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Glad your friend survived.
  1. Consult an attorney, paper trail, do what is recommended.
  2. Get a FFL to come to his apartment, box up the firearm, ship it to him. There will be a "house call" fee. All legal, a big so-what.
  3. Box up everything. Have the moving company take care of getting the items back into your friend's possession, as @mkwerx suggested. (see attorney in #1)
  4. Ship them yourself as suggested, and risk your worst nightmare (and his too). If you ship them via this method, as suggested, those machine parts are stolen, and this method has to be exposed, you're up sewerage canal.
  5. Is your friend religious? IIRC, a few years ago, some tard bought an AR, gave it to his clergyman/pastor to convert to gardening tools, in a very public display of violating transfer laws. No harm came to the schmuck or the pastor. Get your friend's pastor to do it....
  6. Put them in a case, fly down to your friend with them as checked luggage, give them back.

Go buy some sort of lock box that will fit the AR-15 inside when broken down.
Pack both weapons real good inside, then mail the keys to your friend.
Wrap it up with some cardboard and packing tape and then label it as kitchen ware.
Put it with the other kitchen stuff for the movers to load up.
Who's to say that he didn't pack it up before he left.

The only thing I see in this that would eliminate your liability would be to get an Washington FFL to take custody of the property as described by <broken link removed> in post #21. You can't take custody unless you are an FFL. Not knowing the Georgia laws, and since there is a handgun involved, I don't know if the FFL could send to anyone at your friends location or would need to send to a Georgia FFL to hold for future release.

The take away from this is that an Ar and a Glock are not worth
risking your future ability to possess firearms.
{That's up to the democrats to do}​

Last Edited:
My advice would be to ensure they are properly cased/packed and secured. Discretely. Leave them there. Do not take them home or that becomes an illegal transfer. Have your friend hire a long distance moving company. Have them come and load a truck with all of his possessions in the apartment. You could meet the moving company there to let them in and make sure they do the job right.

3-4 days later they show up in Georgia and unload all of his stuff to him. No transfers, no hanky panky. His stuff moved to him by a company he hires.

My advice would be to ensure they are properly cased/packed and secured. Discretely. Leave them there. Do not take them home or that becomes an illegal transfer. Have your friend hire a long distance moving company. Have them come and load a truck with all of his possessions in the apartment. You could meet the moving company there to let them in and make sure they do the job right.

3-4 days later they show up in Georgia and unload all of his stuff to him. No transfers, no hanky panky. His stuff moved to him by a company he hires.

An illegal transfer still took place... Its just the OP facilitated it a bit different.

Not that I would be worried about doin it.... Just as I would not be worried about sending them to him with his name as the sender on the package.

The deal is nobody is trying to do anything screwy here and I suspect any sane cop or prosecutor would not touch this even if things did go sideways... The law was not passed to try and keep a guy from getting his own guns back. It was not passed to put guys in jail who are trying to be helpful and do the right thing.

Of course there are plenty of cops and prosecutors in places like Seattle who are anything but sane when it comes to firearms.

An illegal transfer still took place... Its just the OP facilitated it a bit different.

Not that I would be worried about doin it.... Just as I would not be worried about sending them to him with his name as the sender on the package.

The deal is nobody is trying to do anything screwy here and I suspect any sane cop or prosecutor would not touch this even if things did go sideways... The law was not passed to try and keep a guy from getting his own guns back. It was not passed to put guys in jail who are trying to be helpful and do the right thing.

Of course there are plenty of cops and prosecutors in places like Seattle who are anything but sane when it comes to firearms.

Could be, I suppose to the moving company. But they get paid to move other people's stuff. Including motor vehicles and such. Not sure any court of law would consider any belongings being "transferred" to a moving company.

More I think about it, how would be a transfer? If I ship a firearm via USPS, UPS or FedEx, I certainly didn't "transfer" ownership to them. I'd bet there is a legal clause for just such a thing.

Could be, I suppose to the moving company. But they get paid to move other people's stuff. Including motor vehicles and such. Not sure any court of law would consider any belongings being "transferred" to a moving company.

More I think about it, how would be a transfer? If I ship a firearm via USPS, UPS or FedEx, I certainly didn't "transfer" ownership to them. I'd bet there is a legal clause for just such a thing.

The Washington law more or less states handing a gun to someone without a background check is a transfer..... Its nuts but thats what it says.

It goes so far as there is an argument that a police officer cannot take a pistol from you during a stop and then give it back... Because that constitutes an illegal transfer

Here's the sitmo:
1) I have a friend whose permanent residence is in Georgia.
2) He was out here (in WA) working with me in a long-term, inter-company staff augmentation/loan.
3) He had to leave in a big hurry last week to go back to Georgia.
4) Turns out he needs to have a major heart operation, and likely will not be returning to WA again.
5) He did not have any time to clean out his apartment and make an "orderly retreat."
6) He was only able to take two of his guns home with him when he left hurriedly last week.
7) He left his Daniel Defense AR-15 and his Glock handgun in the apartment.
8) He will have to move out of the apartment, but won't be here to do so, so his friends will do it.
9) I have access to a key to his apartment, and could rescue the guns, and I have offered to do so.

Here's the conundrum:
How do I send his guns back to him, given the constraints of federal firearms transfer laws, WA State's ludicrous I-594 proscriptions, and any other Draconian rules and regulations of which I may not be aware, and keep myself out of jail or have my gun ownership rights stripped from me, just for helping a brother out of a tight spot?

Please, as much as I enjoy a good laugh as the next guy and am not opposed to razor-sharp humor, and the fact that this situation could be the set-up for several good jokes, only serious replies to this thread, as time has now become of essence.

"Road trip" to take the guns to him in your own or a rented vehicle. After all, you should go back and support him during his operation, no...? ;)

"Road trip" to take the guns to him in your own or a rented vehicle. After all, you should go back and support him during his operation, no...? ;)

"Taking" the guns would be an illegal transfer!!! For example: if I am at the range, have a heart attack, and ask you to "take" my firearms home for me, you would have to "take" possession to transport them... that is illegal under the silly UBC laws. Same if I go south and ask you to store them for me for the winter... no can do!!

Picky, picky, picky... just sayin' what I would do if it were a good friend of mine (and he/she would do the same for me)...! :p

I ain't Mr Lawman tho. What I would do and what I would advise others to do... wayyyyyyy different, most times anyways. I did go the full legal route FFL/FFL when I built and shipped an AR to my daughter in a diff state. Coulda just boxed and shipped, but you do know they xray a lot of shipments yes. Watch any of the Border Control shows on Netfix... ya won't be doin that.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't think state lines are anything like the border with Mexico or even Canada so anything transported in a private vehicle (broken down and spread wide) would not necessarily come under intense scrutiny... just my humble opinion and, again, what I would do for a good friend (may or may not apply to you). :rolleyes:

Go buy some sort of lock box that will fit the AR-15 inside when broken down.
Pack both weapons real good inside, then mail the keys to your friend.
Wrap it up with some cardboard and packing tape and then label it as kitchen ware.
Put it with the other kitchen stuff for the movers to load up.
Who's to say that he didn't pack it up before he left.
don't get caught they will confiscate the gun and your freedom

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads