JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've never sold any firearms, but am getting ready to sell several that I don't use anymore to fund some new purchases. I'm going to ask to see an Oregon drivers license and have them sign a bill of sale for my own protection. The thing I'm not so sure about is setting up the FTF. I don't want anybody coming to my house, and I also don't want to go to their house for safety reasons.

How do those of you who have made sales select a location for a FTF? Since I'm in the Portland Metro Area, do I need to avoid Multhomah County due to their wacky laws (I don't have a CCL)? How do you pull off a transaction in a public place?

I have met people at a local Starbucks (before their change in public policy) at a local restaurant and at a local coffee shop and at a great hamburger stand.

If you meet at a gun shop, or their parking lot, I would recommend you have a good relationship with the shop, don't want them to think you are taking business.

Thanks - how do you carry out the transfer at a restaurant, etc.,? I'm assuming that they wouldn't want you to bring the gun inside, so you meet inside then conduct business from your trunk?

Geez, I've met most people at an open parking lot. Restaurant, sporting goods store, coffee shop. I'm not a really nervous kind of guy. I'm usually discrete, as far as the public's concerned, so we'll sit in a car, or lay things in the back of a pickup tail gate. Not too thrilled with waving guns around in a public place, but most of the guys I've dealt with on here have been very cool in that regard, too.
Like Skang said, the folks on here are quite a bit different than the craigslist crowd.

If you're really concerned, check out the NWFA trade ratings for whomever you're dealing with.

As Orygun said, check the trade ratings here.
However, with a bit of due diligence, you can deal with someone with few or no trade ratings by conversing with them a bit before agreeing on a deal. It's not too difficult to smell a bad apple.
Department store parking lots work for a location.

Winco, Fred Meyer, Albertsons, K-Mart - all have big parking lots with empty areas if you don't wanna risk scaring people or getting a MWAG call made.

I've met people at all of the above - plus smaller parking lots, even a gas station once. Be discrete with showing the gun, don't let them wave it around - and if you get a weird feeling about someone - you can always back out of the deal.

I've met members from NWFA at midnight in a grocery store parking lot before, I've met them in broad daylight... the members here, and even from other sites like iFish - are typically a few generous cuts above your typical internet buyer/seller.

But of course to cover your butt - tell someone where you're going and give them an idea who you're supposed to be meeting and when you're meeting them - just in case you don't make it home or there's a problem.

Here is an idea for you (you need to communicate this with the buyer or seller beforehand). Tell the other party that you will be checking their ID to ensure that they are not banned from owning firearms, and tell them they are free to check yours, too. And, tell them in advance that you will hold onto their ID while they handle your gun, to ensure that they don't just walk off with it. Believe me, you are not going to fight somebody over a $500 or $1,000 gun! I tell the other party that I will keep their driver's license or other ID in my pocket while they handle the gun, and then return it when the transaction is complete.

This sounds somewhat odd at first, but if the buyer or seller is a decent person, they will get the drift. If they won't do it, then don't bother with the sale.

I made my biggest gun purchase in a Mc Donalds parking lot. I checked out the gun in the seller's car trunk, then we went into the Micky D's to do the paperwork. Yes, there was quite a bit of paperwork because this was a title II firearm and we had to fill out some form 4 transfer papers. We met again at the same place when the stamp finally came 11 months later.

As a side note....I have only had one instance where the Spidy senses started tingling....and it didn't feel right so to speak...I won;t say who it was or why...but I am glad I cancelled the deal in person...

Geez, I've met most people at an open parking lot. Restaurant, sporting goods store, coffee shop. I'm not a really nervous kind of guy. I'm usually discrete, as far as the public's concerned, so we'll sit in a car, or lay things in the back of a pickup tail gate. Not too thrilled with waving guns around in a public place, but most of the guys I've dealt with on here have been very cool in that regard, too.
Like Skang said, the folks on here are quite a bit different than the craigslist crowd.

If you're really concerned, check out the NWFA trade ratings for whomever you're dealing with.

+1 to all of this. I've done plenty of sales/trades in public parking lots. I do like to avoid Multnomah County when I can. Honestly, no one has ever given us a second glance. Just park next to each other and set your guns on the tailgate or in the trunk. I have on occasion gotten into the car with someone if it's pouring down rain. I just try to use my judgment. For trades/sales with me, we've likely already had quite a few messages and I can often tell just in the communication up front if I'm dealing with a flake.

At a place like Home Depot or Lowe's, I just try to go on the outskirts of the parking lot, away from the cluster of people up at the entry. Most folks don't even notice you.

I like the NWFA ratings, but I have also used Armslist - I know some folks hate it, but I've yet to have a bad deal. Just do your homework, stay in public and don't act like you're doing something wrong so as not to draw attention to yourself.

LOL - I have sold 1 pistol to a Salem police officer...and 1 to a state trooper. They are here on these pages more than you think....both times they called in to make sure the pistol was not stolen right there in the parking lot.

Pretty much what has been said above. I much prefer to buy from those NWF guys that I'm familiar with from long posting with them. I'm armed , it's a comfort!

Everyone I have met up with on this board has been awesome to deal with. Quite a few times we just spend some time chatting. With one guy, we talked so much I forgot to hand him the money and started to leave. Luckily we were just pulling out of the parking lot and I gave it to him. :D
I think if they have good feedback on here you should be OK. :s0094:

I have had many very good experience's with the members here. In a parking lot, nearest the two is what I have always done. I do recommend NOT to go near a gun shop. They do not like that. I was scolded by Dog the Bounty hunter at the lot of Clackamas Gun Broker once.

As a woman who has met people for sales or trades I make sure to use a parking lot during the day time with lots of people around. It can be done discretely and no one pays attention.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top