JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, I have someone in WA who is interested in a pistol I have listed. To handle the transfer do I have to meet him at a FFL in WA to do the transfer, does he have to come here?

The FFL's he has spoken to have told him they will only do the transfer if it comes from another FFL.

How does this work? Any help greatly appreciated.

You have a couple of choices.

Legally he can ONLY transfer the gun to him in the state he lives in (WA). Legally the only way to do that from out of state is to go though an FFL on the receiving end ONLY. As he stated for some reason some FFL's will only transfer from other FFL's. If you are willing to travel to WA some of those dealers MIGHT be willing to receive from you in person, after all that is how they get ALL their used guns from customers.

The only other legal option is to find an OR FFL that will receive the gun from you (cost $$) then have it sent to the FFL in WA.

I know we have a couple of FFL's on this board that have lots of dealings with just your issue. I would see if one of them can help you out.

The FFL's he has spoken to have told him they will only do the transfer if it comes from another FFL

Sounds like his only option is to follow the instructions of his FFL(s).
If a Washington resident were to purchase a handgun from Keith's sporting goods at the gunshow (for example), Keiths would transfer the handgun to one of the partner FFL(s) in Washington State. Perhaps you could get his shop to handle the transfer. He'll no doubt hit you up for some $$$

OTOH, I know how I would have handled this deal though.

And here again, the WA FFL will have to charge use/sales tax on the value of the weapon. This is not a "personal" rule, it's state law.

I'm going to ask a noob question here, and I apologize in advance. What dictates the value of the gun? The FFL, is there a guide, or is it the price from the seller?

I imagine there's some rule of thumb, but I'm curious, as this exactly issue is going to play itself out soon in my household.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top