JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Assuming it's a registered SBR....I would bet it's not

Indeed.. you're surely right. And you can't "transfer" an NFA item if it's not in the NFA registry (the part I missed in my mental exercising). Even better then... if an NFA buyer wants it, he can make arrangements to safely take possession of both halves and file his Form 4 at his leisure.

---

Is there any possibility the gun is actually a pre-86 registered machine gun? Slim odds, given the DIAS and all, but it's kind of weird to have a DIAS come with a whole gun attached to it, and it's an old enough model to be pre-86. I'm just saying double check on that.

Yup.

Seems to me there's two ways of going about this, and really only two ways...

1. Sell it as an SBR - you can get paid immediately, it's the buyer that has to wait for months, not you.

2. separate upper and lower and sell each individually.

It's a bad bubblegum gun that nobody is gonna want as a modified non-SBR rifle. That'd be gay as bubblegum. You'll probably even get one buyer for both pieces, but you might want to really think hard about how to go about transferring both to his possession without creating an appearance of intent to build an SBR. I'm not someone who's super paranoid about bubblegum like that, but it definitely pays to make reasonable efforts.
I agree, sell and ship both seperately and if the buyer is the same person and puts them together then that is on them.

Well, not if both whole parts are still present with no other parts to which they can be reassembled. If it's all you had it would be constructive intent of an SBR (if they were out to charge you with something). I read on the ATF website something to that effect.

I know we are way off track here, My assumption is the ATF is not going to hassle you if you are doing your best to stay on the right side of the law. I can also tell you that if I owned both of these and planned on using the DIAS in other weapons I would either have a pistol lower to put that upper on or SBR a lower for it.
Thats a great idea! Slap an Anderson lower on it for cheap, foam over the tube and call it a pistol. Then sell the lower as is, a Colt AR Lower stamped SMG. I suppose the F/A fire components should be removed but seems like they would be fine so long as there is no upper involved? Damn confusing ATF laws!

Colt started making these in 1982, so it's possible it was originally sold before the ban.
This one serial number starts with TA, its 9mm and there is no sear block. My guess is it is from late 80's and it came with a John Benjamin JCB drop in sear. Hell, John himself most likely converted the upper and restamped the lower too. It was purchased from Keiths in the mid 90's.

Whats it worth...without the sear?

Search "Colt DOE 9mm"......they are pretty desirable. There is one in kit form on GB right now for $2500...which I think is a bit much, but you never know...to the right person I would guess in the $1500-2000 range ( if what you have is all Colt smg )

Got any pics?
Should ping Coctailer on this, he'd know.

I noticed the Colt DOE referenced above is somewhat stripped and is being sold in whole as a "Parts Kit". Im assuming that is another option when selling something, that when full assembled, could constitute a unregistered SBR?

What does it say on the FORM, Colt SMG ? or Drop in Auto sear.
The form is what matter's as to the registered part.

I have worked on guns that were registered receiver's but had Auto Sear's in them=Stupid.
Machined them out and tossed the un-serialized sear in the trash bin.

What does it say on the FORM, Colt SMG ? or Drop in Auto sear.
The form is what matter's as to the registered part.

I have worked on guns that were registered receiver's but had Auto Sear's in them=Stupid.
Machined them out and tossed the un-serialized sear in the trash bin.
Form is for the RDIAS and makes no mention of the host platform. I just dont really want the Colt anymore and thought someone else could use it. The DIAS of course, is a keeper.:)

It doesn't matter how it's marked as long as it's not blown over for a sear + the 1/8th hole.
Put a semi fire control group in the lower and sell it separate from upper.
DO NOT Leave fa parts in the lower when you sell it.
That's all I got on this one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads