JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am cleaning up my gun safe, getting realistic about what I need and if being honest the current extremely high prices and shortages have motivated me to do so. What is reasonable? Do I look at what the current going rate is new in the stores and then cut it down a certain percentage? Or what if I cant even find it in stores because its sold out everywhere? I want to price it fairly in today's market.

Seems like you are trying to make the most you possibly can, without feeling like a price gouging dirt bag at the end of the day. I don't think anyone can tell you what that dollar amount is.

Look in the classified section here and see what others are selling it for. Also check the prices online. If you just want to pass it along, price it below average pricing. Don't be afraid to ask fair market value though, especailly if it's a popular caliber. Ammo is scarce right now and prices are up across the board online and in retail. GLWS.

If things get really bad, you will be selling them by the piece. At a certain point most people won't want to trade ammo for paper money so keep that in mind.
Tobacco, alcohol, ammo, guns, window glass and fuel are things people will be after.

My honest advise is unless you have so much ammo you won't ever miss it I would not sell. The one thing I have observed about panics is that post panic the price of ammo seldom ever returns to what it was before people started panicing.

I love the free market, but I also understand supply / demand and artificial scarcity. While there is validity to shortages thanks to panic purchasers . Suppliers can and absolutely do start restricting supply to help inflate prices.

Back when Sandy hook occurred a friend of mine worked at the Remington Loneok Ammunition plant. He told me more than once they were sitting on a large quantiy of 22 ammo that they were releasing slowly . Keep that in mind .

One can ask any price they want. If someone buys it two people are happy. That's a good deal. The whole "price gouge" for ammo is rediculous, sell it for what the market will bear. Its America.

I am not sure there is a right or wrong answer to your question... I could not fault someone in possession of something high-in-demand using that opportunity to sell... I would be unhappy with myself if I sold something at a cost I knew was below market value, only to watch it quickly resold at a higher price.
On the other hand, I also appreciate those who don't use an unfortunate situation to their advantage.
Bottom line, what you are selling is not critical for another person's well being. It's not medicine or food, that they have to buy for wellness or survival. I would price it however you are comfortable and not worry about the opinion of others in this situation.

One can ask any price they want. If someone buys it two people are happy. That's a good deal. The whole "price gouge" for ammo is rediculous, sell it for what the market will bear. Its America.
Exactly, if you leave money on the table, there is a good chance the guy buying your ammo will flip it for a profit, I say cut out the middle man.

I've sold a ton of ammo on here recently. Gotten some bubblegum for some pricing, but I try to sell for about 20-25% less than comparable ammo available online. So the buyer saves a %, maybe tax, maybe shipping. Is it going to be more than I paid? Certainly.

Few reasons I'm selling now;

Shooting less, I have 4 kids! It's fun to shoot 500 rounds of 9mm when they are 16-18 cents a pop, but it's hard to enjoy it when I start thinking about the $ lol.

Reducing ammo to buy guns I've wanted... 9mm isn't available at most retailers for less than 60 cents a round, if I can sell mine at 33% less to a member here, and use that $ to buy another firearm, I think we all win!

It's hard to find a balance, but when the people you sell to are ecstatic to save the money, you forget about all the angry people expecting to pay prices from a year ago.

Sign me up for that deal! Can I go back 6 months and buy some more Tesla stock!? :D

Last Edited:
I actually had trouble selling 200 rounds of Remington 00 Buck for pre-panic prices. I even had to lower the price once and was going to just hang on to it when a member jumped on it. It was advertised in the classifieds for weeks.

I did make money on it and had it around for several years to re-sell to help pay for the other 200 rounds after the bulk sale and rebate. I made out good and the buyer was appreciative. Good all the way around.

I am currently not selling any ammo that I can't replace, and if I was, I would price it accordingly. For me it is all about not hurting my stockpile

I have never bought out a BiMart to re-sell it later for gouging prices, but I will take advantage of buying in bulk with rebates and selling some to lower the cost of my ammo.

I don't see anything wrong with selling off ammo that you no longer need at the going rate. It is a fine line between gouging and a far price.

Seems like you are trying to make the most you possibly can, without feeling like a price gouging dirt bag at the end of the day.
I agree.

Why not find another venue to sell it as opposed to this forum and help to maintain some sort of dignity and solidarity as a member as opposed to just using it as an outlet to sell ammo as you describe:
if being honest the current extremely high prices and shortages have motivated me to do so.

I agree.

Why not find another venue to sell it as opposed to this forum and help to maintain some sort of dignity and solidarity as a member as opposed to just using it as an outlet to sell ammo as you describe:

Yeah sounds like a weird moralistic spin to put on something such as selling ammo, do you hold every other member who is asking current market price plus to that lofty meter stick ?

Have you sold any ammo and used that same meter stick to gauge yourself?

Last Edited:
I've sold a ton of ammo on here recently. Gotten some bubblegum for some pricing, but I try to sell for about 20-25% less than comparable ammo available online. So the buyer saves a %, maybe tax, maybe shipping. Is it going to be more than I paid? Certainly.

Few reasons I'm selling now;

Shooting less, I have 4 kids! It's fun to shoot 500 rounds of 9mm when they are 16-18 cents a pop, but it's hard to enjoy it when I start thinking about the $ lol.

Reducing ammo to buy guns I've wanted... 9mm isn't available at most retailers for less than 60 cents a round, if I can sell mine at 33% less to a member here, and use that $ to buy another firearm, I think we all win!

It's hard to find a balance, but when the people you sell to are ecstatic to save the money, you forget about all the angry people expecting to pay prices from a year ago.

Sign me up for that deal! Can I go back 6 months and buy some more Tesla stock!? :D
You have been pretty fair with your pricing unlike most of the "oh hai, I just signed up yesterday to pork you soup line buyers with my inflated ammo price, so please add me to your ignore list immediately d00ds"...kinda folks.

I've thought about selling off some ammo, mostly accumulated range-stuff. But then I thought better of it and decided to keep it tucked-away for future use.
For me, future supplies of factory ammo are too uncertain to be trying to make a quick buck... that's what I go to work for.

l could always use having the storage space back, but would probably just fill it up again with more dumb stuff like freeze-dried beef stew and Cheez-Whiz.

If you're price is fair, you'll get some hits. Too high, you won't. I think most of us have "enough" ammo stocks (whatever that means) that panic-buying at inflated prices isn't very attractive. To get panic-prices you'd have to market to the unprepared/new guys who have 0.
You said in the OP that you were wanting to be fair and price accordingly, that generally means current market value +/- depending on contingencies made to close the deal.
GLWS.

If someone wants to sell something, they should.

Someone else needs to buy it, for the above to work. So the price needs to be set by the seller accordingly. Or it won't sell. Pretty simple.

Anyone's opinion on the price, or of the item matters not. The thing which matters is if someone will buy it, whatever it is, at whatever the asking price is.

If you want to know a reasonable price point (and still make a comfortable profit) at which to your sell ammo - go to Cheaper Than Dirt and look at the cost they offer for ammo, then subtract that number 50/75% and bingo, you know a reasonable price at which to sell yours...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top