JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys.... im lookin to build some very inexpensive steel targets that i can transport to various outdoor shooting sites

just wanted to see if anyone has already found a good way to make these targets from easily attainable inexpensive materials.

Basically what did u use and where did u get it...

howd it work....etc

thanks

Depends...
I made a shooting stand out of black iron, rebar and scrap mild steel plates from my son's welding class. I quickly found out rifle rounds can destroy the plates after a couple of sessions. I would hold up to handguns nicely, though.
For rifles, I suggest armored plates. I got myne at <broken link removed>. Email Geoff and ask him if he'd sell you just the plate.

What do you want to shoot them with? Bullet type? What range?

I've built a few, tell me what you want to do and I'll tell you what
I think you need.:)

yea..... suppose i should have mentioned that...

i mainly shoot 9mm from my XD

im also bout to start my .22LR project, but anything that can take a 9mm can take a .22

basically just looking for targets i can shoot (fast paced) to get my adrenaline goin but not have to stop every five seconds to see where i hit the target (ie hear that i hit the target)

just dont wanna dish out the cash to get previously made ones when i can do it myself

Depends...
I made a shooting stand out of black iron, rebar and scrap mild steel plates from my son's welding class. I quickly found out rifle rounds can destroy the plates after a couple of sessions. I would hold up to handguns nicely, though.
For rifles, I suggest armored plates. I got myne at <broken link removed>. Email Geoff and ask him if he'd sell you just the plate.

I would like to build some to take up to a .223 rifle and up to .45 acp handgun. If all else fails we should do a group buy on these.

I'm reluctant to tell you this, but here goes. Visit your local bowling alley. Don't call them because they will always tell you no if you talk to them on the phone. Cowboy up and go to the bowling alley and ask the maintenance person for a box of pins. They usually don't like to give them away, but once they're trashed, they're trash. If he or she asks you what you want them for, you will have a dilemma. If you tell the truth, nine times out of ten they will say no. I would suggest you be creative. The story I used successfully was that I wanted them for a kid's school activity where they would set up the pins and use a tetherball to knock them down; I may have implied it was for a fund-raiser.

Bowling pins will take a hundred hits or more before you will have to throw them away. They can be set up on a table or you can screw an eyehook into the top and hang them. They weigh a lot less than steel targets too. Just don't shoot one with a 1oz 12 gauge slug or it will explode, like most things hit with them do.

Shipping is a killer on steel.

Agreed. But building a stand is easy. Finding armored steel, not so easy. I think what PR787LV said was he just bought the armored plates from the Beast, not the whole stand. They were willing to seel the plate only. That is the take away from his post.

Tell me where to get an armored steel plate locally and I'll be happy. R & R will sell you a stand.

My brother and I have a bunch of reinforced 1/4" steel that is pretty damn gnarly. I made some targets for pistol and light rifle shooting and they have done very well. Tomorrow I'm hoping to try the .338 Win Mag, .357 Mag, 7mm-08 and 7.64x54R to see what happens. For my .45, 9mm, .38 spl and .22lr, they work great. I haven't made and real supports yet but we were experimenting with some ideas at the shop today. Be happy to share with some folks that need some help.

Could sell you pre-cut, pre-painted plates or, you can buy a whole/partial sheet and do the rest yourselves. This stuff is so damn hard, it eats up our metal blades like they are going out of style.

Not sure if I should do this but, here's a link to the add for the plates: http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?p=38019#post38019

Just trying to help, not a shameless promotion. We are local so no shipping, though I can toss about 5 or 6 plates in a Priority box for about $11.00.

I hope this helps and if I have broken the rules, please let me know and I will edit my post.

Thanks! Mike

Agreed. But building a stand is easy. Finding armored steel, not so easy. I think what PR787LV said was he just bought the armored plates from the Beast, not the whole stand. They were willing to seel the plate only. That is the take away from his post.

Tell me where to get an armored steel plate locally and I'll be happy. R & R will sell you a stand.

Robert will sell you replacement popper skins, but probably not just a
chunk of steel.

400 brinell steel is available from most steel suppliers. I get mine from
Ram Steel in Salem. IIRC, the last time I got some it was around $25
for a 8" circle, plasma cut. 400 is fine for pistol, but you really want
500 for rifle. If you want smaller pieces, check with the local farm
equipment dealer or farmer and see if you can get some worn out
plowshares. They hold up to pistol fairly well.

let me know how the bigger calibers hold up and I will get a few from you.

I didn't have time to head up the mountain and test the targets this weekend. USCSoldier bought 5 from me and they will be shipping tomorrow in a Priority box. He'll give feedback based on his un-biased testing. If I have a chance this week to shoot, I'll post results though it looks like a busy week(finally)!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top