Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How to polish a stainless firearm to a high shine

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, May 15, 2011.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I just made a video detailing the simple process I use to polish my stainless guns. I am constantly being asked how I get such a high, mirror like shine so I thought I would show everyone how easy it is. All you need a an old t-shirt, some polishing compound, and a lot of free time.

YouTube - How to polish a stainless firearm to a high shine

2. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

Mother's mag polish rocks..

3. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

You sir are a white rag bigot. :bluelaugh::bluelaugh::bluelaugh:
    What if I want to use a colored shop towel or my wife's pink T-shirt (change safe combo before using wife's shirt)

I almost want to polish my stainless 686

4. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

I use wenol on a grinder type buffing wheel hooked up to an adjustable rheostat,much quicker.

5. PlayboyPenguin

And a much bigger chance of marring the surface. You would be surprised how much better a job can be done by hand. Guys that have been doing the buffer thing fo years are amazed when they see a good handjob (wait...that didn't sound right).

6. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

That is what the rheostat is for, it makes the grinder variable speed, so when you final buff it you can go slow and easy.....

7. PlayboyPenguin

Dremels are vairiable speed too. The problem is the pads foul too quickly and end up rubbing residue against the surface. I hand done finish with a frequently turned rag will do a better job in the long run. believe me, I have done both on dozens and dozens of guns in the past few years.