JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, by popular demand, I have decided to write up my thoughts on using LLCs to hold suppressors and other NFA items.

WARNING! I am not accepting any clients for legal work! This post is only an accounting of the way I handle the BATFE, not legal advice! Use information at your own risk!

The Pros:
-You can sell an LLC without having to do transfer paperwork! (Corporations are people, thanks Citizens United)
-You can create a "NFA Club" with all members of the LLC being able to possess any of the registered NFA items.
-You can register multiple NFA items to your LLC and store them in separate places.
-You have total flexibility with who is included into your LLC.
-You can keep track of what members put into the pool with shares of the corporation.
-If you decide to sell one of your NFA items, you have the option of adding the buyer to the LLC and skipping the transfer process!
-Always good to have alibis.

The Cons:
-More expensive than a living trust
-More time consuming, must hold semi-annual meetings (they can be on paper only)
-Members must be trustworthy...
-Possible liability (you must choose your members responsibly)

Much like a living trust, a LLC (Limited Liability Corporation) provides a strawman to own your items. The difference is how flexible a LLC is with adding and removing members. I structured my LLC so that a simple vote by shareholders can add or remove members. This means that everyone who is a member has every legal right to possess one of the registered NFA items. It becomes sort of a NFA club, if you will.

When you create the LLC, you issue shares. I use shares as a crude accounting system. Every time one of the members buys a NFA item, they receive one share. So if I have three shares, Billy has two and Bob has none, I have the ability to carry a vote since I have three voting shares. However, Bob can possess all five suppressors, since he is a member. He just doesn't OWN any part of the corporation.

Adding members is easy. Call the Secretary of State office, and ask for the paperwork, fill it out and throw in $15 and you have a new member! Removal of members is the same. Just remember, have a meeting with all owning parties prior to adding or removing members!

There are several companies that do registered agent services which can help you make an LLC. I would warn you that choosing your location is important! For instance, a Nevada LLC would be a bad place to have your LLC if you reside in Washington! You would have to buy all your NFA from Nevada! However, owning a Oregon LLC even though you reside in Washington makes cross border deals a snap ;-)

Another consideration is what county to locate your LLC in. I chose Douglas county, since Wenatchee is a great little community that is gun friendly. On a side note, I also register my vehicles to the LLC, which means that I do not need emissions though I live in Spokane!

Please ask if you all have any questions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top