JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Excellent thread!
I would like to point out the title:
How to keep kids safe with firearms...
I like the word use of with as opposed to from.

Firearms are out there...if you:
Educate kids in the safe handling of firearms...
Instill a respect for life...
Have them shoulder the willingness to accept the responsibility, benefits and consequences of their actions...
Then we might just see more kids involved with firearms in a positive manner , rather than another school shooting.

Again excellent thread.
Andy

Well done @308 ! I completely agree, but would extend the logic to adults as well. I enjoy bringing people to the range to acquaint them with guns and how to handle them safely. We were just talking at home last night that it's time to get my daughter to the range to fire her first 'real' guns. She's experienced airsoft and airguns and has learned gun safety with them, but it's time to shoot the real thing. Looking forward to doing that very soon.

Great thread and I like the pictures of the kids having fun. How to keep kids safe with firearms is an important subject for people who own or do not own firearms. Kathy Jackson's blog - corneredcat.com - lists the topic of kids and guns right after firearms safety, and she has a lot of information to help us become more effective in keeping kids safe.

Last Edited:
We raised 5 kids with guns in the house, and at the time we couldn't afford a safe. The guns were stored in closet under the stairs, and the kids knew where they were.
We emphasized that the guns weren't a mystery, and not something to play with either. They all learned gun safety very young, and we taught every kid how to check a gun to ensure it was empty, and safe. We had a rule that guns couldn't be touched if either parent wasn't around, but if they wanted to look at a gun when we were there, they needed to show us they could clear it and check it.
All my kids learned to shoot around 7-8 years old. My youngest daughter was an avid shooter, and still enjoys it. She progressed faster than anyone else, and was shooting my 1911 at a very young age. We started her (and all the kids) with just one round in the chamber, and me behind her helping her hold. Then as she got better she held her own, and eventually asked if she could have more than one round at a time. She could fire an 8 rd. mag accurately at 50 ft., and keep all 8 rds. on target before she was 9 yrs. old. I had friends who couldn't shoot as well.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top