JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Spring time! Yay!

I love mowing my lawn but sometimes, due to frequent rain, the grass can be a little wet when I mow. When this happens, grass clippings can stick on the deck of my mower and I'll have to spend some time cleaning those up before putting the mower away. I know, why not mow only when the grass is dry? I want to keep the grass height low to encourage the grass to keep growing but unfortunately, it rains frequently so I sometimes have to mow when the grass is a little wet. I'm also "spoon feeding" the lawn with regular application of moderate amount of fertilizer so the grass is growing very rapidly these days.

Want to check, is there something I can spray on the deck to reduce the sticking? Perhaps something like silicone spray or heck, since this is a gun forum, perhaps apply some CLP? :)

I'm using a EGO 21" Select Cut Self-Propelled mower that has a plastic deck so I'm not worried about rust, but if I can reduce the amount of grass sticking it would be great.

I don't know if anything would work, but I use a pressure washer to clean equipment.

I rarely use my conventional mower though - I usually use my big PTO driven flail mower that is a walk behind because I let the grass get real tall most places, and the ground it rough, and I cut grass and brush in my forest too.

Just put a mound of really fine gravel near the shed or garage where you keep the mower. Once you're done, before you put it away, drive the mower over the gravel with the blade down. This will polish the blade and clear the stuck on grass at the same time. :)

:D
(Yes, I'm kidding. Do not do this.)

If you want to go through the trouble of painting it on, Hammarite paint is both slippery and durable so makes decks easy to clean. I just push a running lawnmower over a bed of cedar chips and they scour the old grass out like magic. Dry leaves work OK too.

How about one of those hose attachments that will "wash" it before putting it away?

One of the disadvantages of using a battery powered mower is that you cannot wash the mower by spraying it down like you can with a gas mower. Electronics and water don't mix very well unfortunately.

WD-40 works though, right now, I simply flip the mower over (easy to do and no problem due to its light weight and no engine oil to spill) and spray the deck with WD-40. It makes the grass easy to scrap off.

I'm looking for something that will either prevent or reduce the amount of grass that sticks. Maybe some kind of dry lube or paint. Come to think of it maybe cerakote that people use on guns will work here?

Maybe an automotive wax of some kind?? It causes water to bead on a car, so why wouldn't it make a mower deck slippery enough to not have grass stick?

Just a thought.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

One of the disadvantages of using a battery powered mower is that you cannot wash the mower by spraying it down like you can with a gas mower. Electronics and water don't mix very well unfortunately.

WD-40 works though, right now, I simply flip the mower over (easy to do and no problem due to its light weight and no engine oil to spill) and spray the deck with WD-40. It makes the grass easy to scrap off.

I'm looking for something that will either prevent or reduce the amount of grass that sticks. Maybe some kind of dry lube or paint. Come to think of it maybe cerakote that people use on guns will work here?
Oops, didn't see where it was an electric mower.

Three mowers ago (brand forgotten) i had one with a garden hose attachment on top
of the deck. When mowing was through I'd wheel it over to the hose, hook up the hose,
start the mower and turn on the water. Worked pretty darn good.

Where is the ESC Located? The motor itself should be waterproof, just about any electric motor can run submerged in water. So as long as the battery is removed, and the ESC components are getting hosed off, I don't see why you couldn't just hose off the underside.

Where is the ESC Located? The motor itself should be waterproof, just about any electric motor can run submerged in water. So as long as the battery is removed, and the ESC components are getting hosed off, I don't see why you couldn't just hose off the underside.

Not sure about that but EGO does not recommend washing the deck with a hose, you can see this in their Q&A:

I'm not about to experiment with this in Spring with the grass growing like wildfire everyday. :)

^^^This^^^

In the past with steel decks, I would spray a epoxy rust preventer which the grass dosnt stick to, and every third mowing, just drive the running mower over a running stream of water to wash the nasties off! Easy peasy!

Spring time! Yay!

I love mowing my lawn but sometimes, due to frequent rain, the grass can be a little wet when I mow. When this happens, grass clippings can stick on the deck of my mower and I'll have to spend some time cleaning those up before putting the mower away. I know, why not mow only when the grass is dry? I want to keep the grass height low to encourage the grass to keep growing but unfortunately, it rains frequently so I sometimes have to mow when the grass is a little wet. I'm also "spoon feeding" the lawn with regular application of moderate amount of fertilizer so the grass is growing very rapidly these days.

Want to check, is there something I can spray on the deck to reduce the sticking? Perhaps something like silicone spray or heck, since this is a gun forum, perhaps apply some CLP? :)

I'm using a EGO 21" Select Cut Self-Propelled mower that has a plastic deck so I'm not worried about rust, but if I can reduce the amount of grass sticking it would be great.

No.

The one thing that "helps", is making sure the bag is clean. hose it with a good strong jet and dry. Mo' air flo', is mo' bettah!

35 years of commercial experience speaking.

Spring time! Yay!

"I love mowing my lawn"...there are doctors who can cure that.

As for sticking grass...why not try spraying the blades with Pam, before you mow. Better buy your own can, as the wife might take exception to you "borrowing" her cooking supplies.

I clean my mower after each session with a high pressure air hose / jet. Knocks the wet grass off real good. Air ought to work well on your electric mower without damage.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top