JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Heaven sake! I clicked on "Logical Fallacies" and read a bit, very common on forums. I never had a name for it until now!

Trolls are a fact of life on ANY forum. I've seen them on every forum I've been on over the years. Some are just a kid in some basement that just like to stir up trouble and start arguments. Some are just grumpy bastards that can't seem to play nice with others. I think those two groups make up the majority of trolling on any forum.

As to targeted trolling, folks trying to take down a forum or maybe get folks to say/admit things they wouldn't otherwise? I have a hard time believing there is much of that actually happening. Honestly, you DO NOT need a troll to get people on a forum to say things you can use against them - they will volunteer that information easily over time. Take this forum for example, we've had folks that openly say over and over again that they have or will ignore/violate SB941 and I-594. No troll was needed for them to willingly offer up that information. Honestly, if folks think that we have some kind of anonymity just because a troll isn't actively present, then I've got news for you - "they" are already watching, "they" already have the information they need on us.

The only thing about the troll topic that bothers me is how quickly some folks jump on a new poster/member and immediately identify them as a troll before they've said much of anything. And so what if they are a troll? They won't stay around for long - they never do. So why not give new folks the benefit of the doubt, at least up front, and see what's going on before we potentially shoot down a new member just because they ask a question you don't like or asked it in the wrong way? I've dealt with enough trolls to know they are momentary bumps in the life of any forum. They will go away and new ones will come. The only way they get their way is if the members start fighting each other over what they say. Leave that out, and the troll will wither and die.

The only thing about the troll topic that bothers me is how quickly some folks jump on a new poster/member and immediately identify them as a troll before they've said much of anything. And so what if they are a troll? They won't stay around for long - they never do. So why not give new folks the benefit of the doubt, at least up front, and see what's going on before we potentially shoot down a new member just because they ask a question you don't like or asked it in the wrong way? I've dealt with enough trolls to know they are momentary bumps in the life of any forum. They will go away and new ones will come. The only way they get their way is if the members start fighting each other over what they say. Leave that out, and the troll will wither and die.

I bolded this so it stands out a little more! You said this same basic thing in another thread however there were still members that completely ignored it. And it not just new members that may be accused of "Trolling"!

There have been a couple of questions lately that I pondered putting out to the membership, answers to THOSE questions may help me in arguments with anti 2nd people, but I fear that my question would be considered trolling by some here and I'm not prepared to deal with that.

I bolded this so it stands out a little more! You said this same basic thing in another thread however there were still members that completely ignored it. And it not just new members that may be accused of "Trolling"!

There have been a couple of questions lately that I pondered putting out to the membership, answers to THOSE questions may help me in arguments with anti 2nd people, but I fear that my question would be considered trolling by some here and I'm not prepared to deal with that.

I say post them anyway. We're all adults here, agree or disagree, we should be able to discuss touchy topics without descending into anarchy ;)

I've actually been accused of being some kind of a communist government provocateur, here. For nothing more than having a moderate political viewpoint.

Glad this place seems to have chilled out in the last year or so.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top