JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There are 2 good reasons to avoid going to 100% background checks on all gun transactions. It's silly to waste the time and money doing a background check when you give/sell a firearm to a family member or close friend. We also have come to fear our invasive government and don't trust them to not use the process for registration/confiscation.

How about we do this: when you go in for your driver's license or other state ID, they run a background check on you. If you pass, as most of us would, you automatically get an endorsement, on the back of the card, that indicates that you have no legal impediment to gun ownership. Every eligible person would have this. The only person you would have to show this to is the person who is giving/selling you a gun.

If you do something that makes it illegal for you to own a gun, your license/ID would be confiscated and you would be issued one without the endorsement. If you were cleared, you get it back.

Interstate purchases would still need an FFL. Though if multiple states did this, we could set some kind of reciprocity up, like we do with CHLs. You could send your credentials to someone and they could ship you the gun.

Penalties for using a fake ID could be similar to using a straw man to purchase a gun.

The government would have no idea who buys or owns guns. Only that it's hard to get one if you aren't allowed to. The "Background checks aren't that hard" crowd can be told to shut up and we get more privacy in our firearms purchases.

I do like the intent.. BUT it leaves the gov to approve who is and isn't worthy. And the DMV of all folks to issue it.
We need very PRO gun agency to he issuing something like this, like our CHL cards.
However, supposed "back logging" and "extreme wait time" BS would be almost instantaneous. My county's CHL wait time is three+ months AND they raised the price of print cards which is horse shat.

ZA, if they want to stop us from buying guns, they can just change how things are done on background checks today. We might get a pro gun agency in Idaho. It will never happen in Oregon or Washington unless we can eject the People's Republics of Multnomah and King counties from their respective states.

^ exactly. Unfortunatly the big citys force our state to lean left and anti gun in its beliefs.. However its the country side of oregon that when they really get loud on an issue it shuts portland, salem and eugene up.

I wouldn't shed a tear if those major cities were reduced to ashes. They spawn fear and hate not only against firearms but out contry and constitution.

The only way to get them to shut up is to completely capitulate to tyranny. Then everyone, including these useful idiots, will have to shut up.

No, what you do is ask them if the IRS audit's you, is it the IRS's burden to prove what you say is your income and deduction, are what you declared, or is it you burden to prove that that you are not lying? The answer of course is, it is the IRS's burden...that has been through the courts because it used to be the IRS would force you to prove that what they said was wrong, rather than that they had to prove what you said was wrong.

Once you move past the IRS, then ask them, should they be charged with a crime, especially a crime they did not commit, was it the prosecution's burden to prove you are guilty, or is it your burden to prove you are innocent. "You are innocent until proven guilty" Remember that!

So now, we are at background checks...not just new versions, but even the ones we already have... The whole concept is based on the assumption of guilt, that is, you are a prohibited person until YOU prove you are not. That is completely backwards from innocent until proven guilty. Some day they will push this too far, and even the background checks we have now will be thrown out just for this reason. Just like the IRS's assumption of guilt was thrown out years ago.

^ exactly. Unfortunatly the big citys force our state to lean left and anti gun in its beliefs.. However its the country side of oregon that when they really get loud on an issue it shuts portland, salem and eugene up.

I wouldn't shed a tear if those major cities were reduced to ashes. They spawn fear and hate not only against firearms but out contry and constitution.

Really want to respond in kind however in this case just understand that there are alot that dont agree with you and your opinion.

James Ruby

I agree with the comment. Eugene and Portland are often compared to Moscow and Beijing on the Willamette. Pretty good description too.

So in essence, you're saying that you want the state to license everyone who is a gun owner....or might be a gun purchaser. So, we would, under this system you propose, be licensing a fundamental human right. Isn't that wrong, somehow? Oh, I remember, it's called the Constitution.

I don't want them to "shut up."

I want them to keep talking.
That way, I know who NOT to vote for.
Gawd help the next politician I see on stage introducing Gabby Giffords, her hubby, and her agenda, cuz they damn sure will lose my vote over it!

Nothing like free speech.
It allows idiots to commit political suicide, and I like that.

Being a california ex-pat, I can tell you a few things about the massive failure that "mandatory background checks and registration" have created. First, in order to "transfer" a gun, you need to go into a gun shop, pay $35 and wait 10 days. Great, a new way for the state to get revenue, however when the law originally went into effect, those dollars were slated to pay for the background check system. However 10 years on guess what? The government raided the fund, and now all of the background check systems are completely in disarray, false positives, false negatives, and long wait times to try to straighten out the mess are the norm.

WAC (washington arms collectors) has a policy of only allowing transfers at the show "between members" in order to be a member, you need to either have a current CPL, or have a background check performed.

WAC (washington arms collectors) has a policy of only allowing transfers at the show "between members" in order to be a member, you need to either have a current CPL, or have a background check performed.

Which is why I will never be part of them, or visit any of their gun shows. They think like the anti's and wonder why the anti's keep ratcheting up the anti.

Groups and people (like Gabby Giffords) that are pushing for background checks are very aware that none of the highly publicized shootings would have been prevented by background checks - but they keep pushing. They know it won't make any difference but the uninformed public has been convinced it's a good and "reasonable" idea. The obvious strategy is to get the public accustomed to supporting more gun laws. Then when even the "reasonable" idea doesn't work, it's much easier to convince the public we need even stronger restrictions.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top