JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I used to hunt with my father until he passed 30 years ago. The last few years I've been interested in plinking and target shooting. Now I have a desire to try hunting again. I was thinking perhaps of starting with plentiful invasive species such as nutria and wild pigs. Rifle calibers I own are 22 long rifle, 22 magnum, 7.62x39 and .308. Is there a hunting club or group that I could join near Salem, Corvallis or Eugene? Are there landowners in Oregon who would let me hunt their pests? Or public lands? I'm looking for something fairly easy to start with - not trekking through the backcountry for days for a shot at a trophy elk. I know that I can pay for a guided hog hunt in various states, but the cost is quite high. Thanks for any information or advice!

A bit off topic, but for someone that has eaten just about everything under the sun (at least once), I have to admit I've never tried nutria. How do they eat? Dressed out, what kind of yield do you get off one? Any special glands or such that require attention while dressing one out?

A bit off topic, but for someone that has eaten just about everything under the sun (at least once), I have to admit I've never tried nutria. How do they eat? Dressed out, what kind of yield do you get off one? Any special glands or such that require attention while dressing one out?
Sorry but that's just nasty :s0092: I imagine they taste like rat! They came out of S. America in exchange for Beaver, the government was going to help the fur trade or some such nonsense! I mean Banana Slugs are easier to catch!

There are pigs rooting in Oregon and if you figure out the how to hunt them on public land please post! I have never met a person who even claims to have shot a wild pig in Oregon.

Has anyone tried Nutria for crab bait? I have never dressed a Nutria Yarome but I'm guessing you would have 3-5 pounds of meat; they are vegetarian so the meat would be eaten by me if I was hungry enough.

Both nutria and wild hogs are supposedly edible, with lean healthy meat. I have cleaned birds and fish a long time ago with my dad, but I have never processed a mammal before.

There are pigs rooting in Oregon and if you figure out the how to hunt them on public land please post! I have never met a person who even claims to have shot a wild pig in Oregon.
1663000199374.png
a friend of mine with one he shot in the Grizzly unit a few years ago.

Most of us face the same problems, less land and more people! If you are serious about this you need to hang out at the local feed stores, offer to do some work in exchange for shooting vermin. Be prepared to buy a breakfast or two, explain your situation, and realize farming is their living! start meeting farmers and build trust.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top