JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://oregonoutdoorcouncil.org/how-to-get-started-bowhunting-blacktails/

So you want to learn how to bow hunt for blacktail deer? Blacktail deer are the most elusive and hardest deer to bowhunt due to the dense cover and their nocturnal behaviors. Bowhunting blacktail deer can be one of the most frustrating hunts you can have and can also be one of the most rewarding, regardless if you're a seasoned hunter or its your first time. Here are a few things to consider when preparing to bowhunt for blacktails for the first time.

Hahaha yeah right,
That's why I drive a half mile down the road at sun up and kill a deer on the first day of bow season.
Or go out in my back yard and do the same.

The best advise for bow hunting is to buy your bow NOW and shoot as much as your shoulder will let you.
You tube has tons of pointers on archery,actually harvesting a deer isn't that hard.

Oh yeah,you can't eat horns,lol

Hahaha yeah right,
That's why I drive a half mile down the road at sun up and kill a deer on the first day of bow season.
Or go out in my back yard and do the same.

The best advise for bow hunting is to buy your bow NOW and shoot as much as your shoulder will let you.
You tube has tons of pointers on archery,actually harvesting a deer isn't that hard.

Oh yeah,you can't eat horns,lol

While I agree, and I'm sure the author will agree, that shooting your bow often is great advice.

Based on the deer population and overall success rate, blacktail deer hunting is not as easy as you claim it to be.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resource...t_statistics/12/WESTERN_DEER_ARCHERY_2012.pdf

13% Overall success rate for blacktail deer archery.

13% doesn't = "isn't that hard"

?temp_hash=08c386558599102dcc0da4f2b616c8c2

Last edited by a moderator:
1-029-1.jpg I rifle hunted Blacktails for many years, then I switched to handgun hunting for them to have more of a challenge, since I rarely had to take a shot from more than 20 - 30 yards.
My father wanted to get into archery, so I archery hunted with dad for 7 years, before I went back to using firearms.

Blacktail hunting is easy, if you spend enough time in the woods to learn where the deer will be, what travel routes they take, bedding areas, etc... Scouting is the key to success, if your hunting with a firearm or a bow.

I am always scouting old areas I have hunted in the past and to look for new areas to hunt. I have been scouting with my sons, since school has been out and we have had a lot of luck so far.
This area has deer running all over the place, but they have funnel areas that they travel through on a regular basis to get from their bedding area to the area they feed in.

This is a dandy 5x4 that we spotted on his way back to his bedding area 2 days ago. This buck had my son drooling at the mouth!

In this area we have seen 4 bucks that are large enough to harvest, come hunting season.

We will continue to scout more areas right up to hunting season.

Last Edited:
Vanillagerrilla, I suggest messaging members that hunt on here and other forums or attend local hunting chapter meetings. There are definitely people out there willing to mentor, you just have to find them.

Good luck!

View attachment 93214 I rifle hunted Blacktails for many years, then I switched to handgun hunting for them to have more of a challenge, since I rarely had to take a shot from more than 20 - 30 yards.
My father wanted to get into archery, so I archery hunted with dad for 7 years, before I went back to using firearms.

Blacktail hunting is easy, if you spend enough time in the woods to learn where the deer will be, what travel routes they take, bedding areas, etc... Scouting is the key to success, if your hunting with a firearm or a bow.

I am always scouting old areas I have hunted in the past and to look for new areas to hunt. I have been scouting with my sons, since school has been out and we have had a lot of luck so far.
This area has deer running all over the place, but they have funnel areas that they travel through on a regular basis to get from their bedding area to the area they feed in.

This is a dandy 5x4 that we spotted on his way back to his bedding area 2 days ago. This buck had my son drooling at the mouth!

In this area we have seen 4 bucks that are large enough to harvest, come hunting season.

We will continue to scout more areas right up to hunting season.
Black tail hunting is easy? Lol!!!,!,

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top