JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a friend who plans on buying and/or be gifted a rifle or two while visiting his father in TX.
What's the best legal way to get them back to Oregon? He is flying down and back for the visit.

-Matthew

shipping it via FFL or going thru the process(that im unfamilliar with) that the airline has for checking a gun.

i may be incorrect but i think he will have to have a BGC before taking it from an FFL in oregon.

Is mailing it to himself still an option? Or is that no longer an option?

Yes
https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0501-firearms-top-10-qaspdf/download
ATF said:
6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?

Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner "in the care of" the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

Ray

I have a friend who plans on buying and/or be gifted a rifle or two while visiting his father in TX.
What's the best legal way to get them back to Oregon? He is flying down and back for the visit.

-Matthew
Need to ship to an FFL in Oregon and do BGC when picking up. The only way this would not be done is if his father died and he inherited them. This is not because of the Oregon laws it is due to the 1968 GCA.

So let's say I'm on a road trip. While in Nevada, i stop at a gun shop, and find a rifle I've been wanting forever. I go ahead and buy it. Then my crazy wife says she wants to go to Disneyland in CA. If I can't drive it home..... I have to ship it to an FFL in Oregon? What about the airplane option? Oh the pain!

I'll add that FedEx is probably the best option. USPS will have none of that.
Exactly, those dorks dont even allow ammo to be delivered to an auxiliary P.O. box. Seems federal law actually costs them business. I was planning on getting a PO box having a bit of ammo shipped there over the span of a year when I was living on a bad side of town. Read their rules.. Nope. Luckily I moved before I had to implement the PO box plan.

So let's say I'm on a road trip. While in Nevada, i stop at a gun shop, and find a rifle I've been wanting forever. I go ahead and buy it. Then my crazy wife says she wants to go to Disneyland in CA. If I can't drive it home..... I have to ship it to an FFL in Oregon? What about the airplane option? Oh the pain!
You could drive to CA as long as you follow their firearms transporting laws. Usually unloaded locked in trunk or rifle case if there is no trunk you would have to read their laws. Your wife isn't "crazy" just young at heart it isn't her fault your a party pooping cheap SOB......LOL.

The OP is talking about Texas which is not an adjoining state so would need to ship and do BGC as stated.

Uh, what's wrong with taking it through the airline? Last I read they still have procedures for that. Call around and find out, or look at the airline website. Maybe just take the bolt out if it is a bolt gun, bring in your carry-on?

OK, maybe theft is a problem, but if the gun is disassembled maybe that's OK too.

-Matthew
Each and every airlines have information on checking firearms as baggage on their website.
Check the airlines you will be flying on to get accurate information, and follow it.
I have checked guns many times on different airlines and none has ever asked for proof of ownership.
jmo
:)

How is the FFL status of firearms affected if I move from one state to another? In a few years I'll be moving back up, and of course taking my firearms with me- will I be required to pay an FFL to transfer them to Oregon from CA?

Geno

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads