Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How to get my gun to Alaska for trip?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Bushman, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Bushman

Bushman Auburn, WA Well-Known Member

Going on a trip there and will be spending time mostly in the city but also some time in the wild. Would prefer to carry a gun. It seems I can ship a long gun to myself via USPS cheap, but handguns must go through UPS or FedEx, both of which are very expensive.

Then there is the TSA BS, where they also charge you a hefty fee. And I know people like Patriot Nurse have had their guns stolen by these morons, so I'm a bit hesitant to use this method.

So either I open carry a rifle up there, or eat the $ to ship a handgun via another more expensive carrier than UPS. Then again, maybe I can borrow or rent a gun there? The trip is four days, with one day in transit. Perhaps I can get by with a knife and bear spray, but it just seems like it defeats the purpose of going to Alaska and not be able to carry a gun.

2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

You can check both in your luggage. Just no ammo.

Certaindeaf likes this.
  3. Bushman

4. kenr74

kenr74 Oregon Active Member

I have checked rifles, shotguns, handguns at the airport. No fees other than whatever the airline charges for a checked bag. Pretty simple. They do it all the time. Kind of fun walking through PDX with a couple guys carrying gun cases.

5. ruggdogg87

ruggdogg87 Tigard Active Member

You can have ammo but it can't be in the locked case with the gun if I remember

6. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Take the ferry from Seattle to Alaska.... and back.

Lantraxco likes this.
  7. Kid@Heart

Kid@Heart Vancouver, USA Cynic Lifetime Supporter Diamond Supporter

I believe the ferry stops in Canada. Would this be be a problem?

8. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Guns and ammo can go in checked baggage. Ammo is generally limited to 5 kilo (11 lbs)
    unless you fly Alaska Airlines, I believe they still allow more.
    Check the TSA and airline websites for packing requirements. They do vary a bit from airline
    to airline.

9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Something about it being a US ship and that makes it US soil? You just can't bring it on Canada soil.
    But if you are going out of the city,I don't believe there would be any problem back packing a shotgun or rifle in Alaska.I'm sure it's done pretty regularly

10. Lantraxco

Lantraxco Member

I would think since the ferries are no doubt US flagged that as long as they don't leave the ship and enter Canada it's not an issue, easy enough to check with the ferry service, I'm sure it's common. Maritime law is funny stuff....

mjbskwim likes this.
  11. SHPD_Retired

SHPD_Retired Saint Helens Well-Known Member

It is only 25 dollars to check a handgun in your luggage through the airlines. You do not deal with the TSA, you deal with the person at the check in counter at the airport. Also, you can have ammo in your bag, it just has to be in a certain type of container and not in the locked container the gun is in. I just went through this in May and it was quite painless, other than the 25 dollars. Remember, it will be 25 each way.

12. bwchase

bwchase Pacific City Active Member

On Alaska Air, declare a firearm and fill out a form. The counter person will send you about 50 feet to the TSA counter at PDX.
    They verify it is a locked case, do all the swab tests and send your bag on its way. Ammo is in original container.
    I do this every time I go to Alaska.
    No fee unless it is an additional bag.
    Takes maybe 10 minutes unless there is a line at TSA.

edslhead and Joe13 like this.
  13. sdlsaginaw

sdlsaginaw Oregon Active Member

Flew Alaska Air Eugene/Ketchikan, carry gun and ammo in checked luggage. No drama either way and no extra cost. Put ammo in original box and locked ammo/mag/gun in one of those metal boxes with cable. This was placed inside luggage with cable around luggage frame. Said "I have an unloaded firearm to declare" at the desk. Filled out the form and tossed it inside the bag, on the carousel it went. TSA never even bothered calling me to open anything at either airport. It was almost like actually living in a free country.

mjbskwim, edslhead and Stomper like this.
  14. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Don't miss an opportunity.

Tell the wife it's darn near impossible to get guns into Alaska!
    Looks like I'll need to budget a couple new guns into the trip when I get there. :s0155:

Of course I've been known to buy a rifle just because I had a bayonet for it laying around.
    Then there was the time I found some 22-250 ammo in my supplies and bought a rifle.......................

My point is. You need to be smart about how you do this. ;)

Wouldn't it be cool to have a gun from Alaska. Just to remember the trip?

RicInOR and mjbskwim like this.
  15. Bushman

Yeah, I think in Seattle I remember seeing a TSA line for firearms. Not sure that they still do it, it's been years that I've traveled out of state, but when I used to travel weekly for work, I walked by it all the time, rolling my eyes along the way, lol. I can't believe they turned a bunch of uneducated contract guards into "Federal Agents" on a power trip.

16. cascadianliberty2012

cascadianliberty2012 DPR Portland Well-Known Member

I can only speak to my experience flying from PDX to DCA (Reagan National/Arlington, Virginia) and back: https://www.instagram.com/p/7BeobFr7Lx/

I'd imagine that the process would be about the same, just your locked box would be much bigger. I have also heard that (if you're adventurous) driving through Canada with rifles is rather easy once you obtain the $60-ish permit that allows you to transport up to 15 long-guns.

You'll be fine as long as the plane doesn't land in Canada.

17. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Any chance you'd have to pass thru Canada?

Gun - Long gun in Canada, probably OK
    Hand Gun in Canada - what are you thinking?! Minimum barrel length is just one gotcha, there are others, ensure you measure the way the Mounties will, and follow all their rules.

You cannot have a gun, especially a hand gun, just because, or because maybe. You have to have a bonifide, verifiable reason. I might run into thugs - nope. I might be eaten by a bear - too bad. I have a hunting trip with this outfitter for these dates - which they can call about.

If you get diverted into Canada, do not pick up your bag without talking to them first.

And remember, you have posted on a guns forum, so clearly you are an American Terrorist.

18. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Only if he's white. And why are you ASSuming he's white?
    When I lived in Sequim there was a Canadian cop,local Vancouver sheriff if I remember correctly.
    he said that the gun laws aren't that bed over there.You can have a hand gun or bring one thru.
    I wasn't going that way any time soon so I didn't check it out,but i would still assume it would be a big hassle to bring your handguns thru

19. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter