Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How to get a deer in the truck. Truck hitch deer lift with swivel. What do ya'll think?

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by mikemenzie, Sep 28, 2015.

1. mikemenzie

mikemenzie Dallas Active Member

I've been trying to find various things to make it easier for my mother to hunt by herself when I'm not around. We got her a deer buggy, but I've been trying to think of the best way for her to get the deer in the truck. I came across the hitch mounted deer lifts on amazon, and wanted to see if any of you have used them, or anything else. The hitch mounted lifts cost around $150, and i can't afford a whole lot, so didn't want to drop that much money on something if it's not a good idea. Thanks in advance for any advice!
    -Mike

2. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've never seen one used, not exactly sure how that's supposed to offer a big improvement..

Winch on the front, rope guide over the cab, ramp up into the bed.... works like a charm with super minimal effort

blackadder likes this.
  3. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

A Come Along, a length of good rope, a piece of 3/4" plywood (ramp) and a couple of solid anchor points in the front of the truck bed, maybe a couple of those eye bolts that fit in the stake hole.
    th?id=JN.WnbJMYI6qFesot8lxPlt4Q&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  4. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Best I can come up with is some sort of a ramp, ground to tailgate. If your mom can't drag or push/roll it up perhaps you could set up a reinforced hook or eyebolt for a come along or pulley. Other option could be a pulley from a rope tossed over a tree branch and backing the truck under the body. That sounds like a job for the Army Corps of Engineers, though!
    Good luck, it's cool that your mom still likes to hunt!:)

5. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Oops! Too late!:)

Joe13 likes this.
  6. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Here's a better way!
    All you need is a bale of alfalfa and the tailgate lowered.
    Just park near your hunting spot and wait nearby.

00small49989036.JPG

7. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

This is exactly what I thought when I read the OP...

$40-50 tops for it all

blackadder likes this.
  8. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Gut it, skin it, quarter it, lift the pieces into the truck bed

OLDNEWBIE and Sgt Nambu like this.
  9. mikemenzie

You guys are too much for me, haha.
    Ya know, i constantly do this to myself...
    I design and build things every stinkin' day, pretty much. And then all of a sudden - i need something that does THIS! And i don't even think to make some simple thing to do the job. Thanks, guys. Big help, again, getting my brain to go for the simple things.
    -Mike

albin25 and Joe13 like this.
  10. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

Sorry!

spectra, gunfreak and Stomper like this.
  11. Oathkeeper1775

Oathkeeper1775 Coast Range Well-Known Member

I seen a guy in the Molalla Unit above Silverton pull in a whole-gutted cow elk with a rig like that.

12. thorborg

thorborg portland oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

The problem with come a longs for me is the load always seems to be half way there and I'm out of come! then you have to figure out how to hold the load while you get another pick at it. I think you could get a winch at harbor freight on sale for sixty bucks, (might be another 20 or so in wiring)screw it to the front of the bed with a little backing between the bed and the cab, then use the ramp idea. They come with a wired remote so she could be on the business end to wiggle or adjust the moving load as needed. Me, I'd go for the come along but if it was for my mom or wife I'd do whatever I can to keep them bringing home the bacon, er, venison.

blackadder and Oathkeeper1775 like this.
  13. mikemenzie

Yeah, i'd already planned on something closer to that idea, just so she didn't have to haul by hand, but the remote is a good idea. Forgot they had those on some winches.

14. thorborg

thorborg portland oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I bought a 1200 pounder maybe 1500 from Harbor freight with a six foot switch/ cord (paid less than 60 on sale) and put it in my van. My grandson is wheelchair bound so when he got too heavy for me to push up my homemade ramp I use it to pull him in and ease him out. it has forward and reverse under power.
    I can no longer handle him so I put it on a hitch extension for emergencies but have yet to wire that in.
    I just checked and they are not sixty any more. I guess it has been a few years. But, @ 89.99 they now have wireless remote which is even better and still a good deal. albeit Harbor freight-- they do have a good return policy if you keep your receipt though.

15. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

What you are describing.....

Could mount a hand winch to a bracket that drops into a front stake pocket.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-hand-winch-65688.html
    put this upright into pocket with winch bolted to it.....http://www.harborfreight.com/hitch-mount-vise-plate-66260.html

mjbskwim likes this.
  16. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

17. rick benjamin

18. mikemenzie

If metal working wasn't one of the only things i know nearly nothing about, i'd be all over that, haha.

19. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

20. mikemenzie

Heh. Appreciate the advice, and i may buy one at harbor freight sometime, but we're not looking to spend hundreds more than we already have this year. If i could afford to shop at cabela's, we'd already have a nicer setup than we do, haha.