JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have just received my new romanian PSL rifle (basically a glorified AK marksman rifle), and the handguard locking lever is identical to the AK47, AKMS, AK74, etc. My other AK platform rifles, I've been able to maneuver this lever fairly easily with pliers or hands during disassembly/reassembly.

But this PSL proves to be tricky. I managed to get it to turn during disassembly with pliers (and a towel on the pliers to prevent scratches), but now i'm having a hard time putting it all the way down. I have it about halfway down... enough that it locks the handguard in place, but not enough to get it all the way down to that little divet on the side where it should rest (i hope you know what i'm saying. it's usually like 30 degrees down). I tried pliers and they don't work. I'd consider myself a fairly strong guy, but i can't get the damn lever to budge past horizontal. I'm worried the next time I go shoot, something happens that will fling the top handguard out due to a loosely locked lever that holds it in place.

What are your tips to get that damn lever down without damaging my new rifle?

I could just get a hammer, phillips, and a towel and just hammer the lever down... but I wanted to ask the forum if that's safe before I potentially break that lever off my new PSL which I've wanted in my hands since the beginning of 2009.

fyi, there is nothing wrong with the rifle. i've shot it and it runs smooth like butter with great accuracy. its just this lever problem.... maybe i'm just leveraging it at the wrong angle? I mean when it was shipped to me, it was in the proper locked position.

your advice is much appreciated :s0155:

Like they recommended check the gas tube, is anything binding on the lower handguard or retaining spring? If it doesn't loosen up, you could look at relieving some of the material off handguard or cutout on the barrel for the retainer.

Edit, your talking about the upper hand guard / gas tube, the lever on the rear sight base....Wiggle it, does it drop into place without any problems or do you have to force it down.

problem solved.

i got a rubber mallet and hit it a couple times. after a few wacks, the lever was down where it should be, with the upper handguard locked and secured.

thanks for all the advice

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads