Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How to cut down tennis shoes from power lines?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pdxjohann, Aug 29, 2009.

1. pdxjohann

pdxjohann Portland near Tigard Member

By apartments near here some dopes tossed tennis shoes up on the power lines. Since, I've heard that doofus gang wanna be's do this to signify their presence. That and a few signs being "tagged" make me want to cut the shoes down - and clean or paint over the taggers graffiti. Any suggestions as to how to cut down the shoes without shorting myself electrically?
    Johann

2. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

Suppressed .22 with a good scope? Just kidding...

I would call the utility company or the city... someone that A- has access to a bucket truck and B- knows how to safely work around power lines....

3. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

4. Oro

Oro Western WA Active Member

This is yet another case of where owning a flame-thrower can come in handy... ;)

5. pdxjohann

:) All good ide ers. Clint does better than a flame thrower

6. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

powerlines wont shock you. I touch them all the time at work. but getting up there is another story. maybe limb trimmers on a pole?

7. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

I've seen gym shoes hanging from the power/phone lines since I was a kid, it was sorta a joke to grab your buddy's shoes while walking home from school and give em' a toss......:funnypoint:

8. pdxjohann

Chee -To, according to the tv news geniuses you must be a gang wanna be :) Seems the news to "inform" - now news to scare and shock worked on me this time. I bet you are right. Some kid around here has no tennis shoes today.

Still, I'd like them to come down. Too high for my ladder though.

9. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Portland also used to have an anti-graffiti task force. You call a number and someone comes right out and removes the graffiti. If they can't take it off, they paint over it.

I used to call them all the time when taggers hit the stores on NE Glisan by Mt Tabor.

Awesome program.

10. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

I used to live two blocks from a high school. Uh-huh, I spent a lot of time cleaning the gang-tagged stop signs on my corner. My stepladder and I got a lot of exercize.

The hardest to clean ones are done with those mega-ink-marker things. Very solvent resistant! I finally found that they just wiped away with Birchwood-Casey brand "Gun Scrubber" gun cleaning solvent, in a spray can. It evaporates fast, so working in the cool of the morning around sunrise is best. At that hour you are unlikely to be observed by angry gangsters, and likely to meet pretty dog-walkers who are grateful for your labors.........................elsullo :D

11. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

=====================================================

Hair spray works well for removing marker also.

I use to be a grocer back in the day when everything was price marked, and when we had to do a price change on canned goods we would break out the hair spray and wipe off the old price with a dry cloth.

12. pdxjohann

hair spray and gun solvent (acetone?) Thanks for the tips

I'll try a sharpened snap tree trimmer too. Thanks everyone

Now where did I leave my tennis shoes?

13. fromotoc

fromotoc Downtown Portland, OR Member

Throwing stars....

14. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

LMAO!! When I was in the Army, it was common practice for troops getting ready to return to the civillian world to spray paint their jump boots orange, tie the laces together and sling them over the power lines.... and yes... after my first hitch I did it too! :D

6-mos. latter I enlisted again... LOL

After my second hitch I was more mature and dignified and abstained from acting like a dumb kid... I was just glad to be alive and in relatively one piece. ;)

15. Buddhalux

Buddhalux Hillsboro, Oregon Active Member

I hear ya Stomper. Ardennes St. used to have a metric arse ton of Jump boots hanging from the power lines when I was there from 90-95. I never painted and tossed mine up there since I had real Cocheran's. Those things weren't cheap back in the day.

16. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Yeah... Corcoran's were spendy back then... but have you seen their prices NOW?! :wow:

I used to own 3 sets of them (the standard two sets weren't enough) when I was a Drill Sgt. They would always get salty on the outside at the end of the day... so I always had the "crusty" pair, the "spit-shine in progress" pair, and the "ready to go for the next day" pair and would just keep rotating them in the "production line" everyday so I could have a fresh pair of sweetly spit-shined boots everyday that weren't "swampy" on the insides... even though Drills got an extra laundry allowance to have their stuff done by the cleaners, don't get me started on the requirements for keeping the BDU's all pressed and sharply creased everyday too... it's a MAJOR reason why Drills are always so flippin' grounchy!! :bluelaugh:

BTW- WD-40 works BRILLIANTLY for removing spray paint from automobiles and such. :thumbup:

17. roguebowhunter

roguebowhunter medford Member

power lines can shock you if your grounded when you touch them.. best leave it to the electric company .. Don

18. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

I am an electrician. Power lines for the most part are all insulated. Kinda hard to get shocked unless you are really asking for it.

19. roguebowhunter

roguebowhunter medford Member

i was in the electrical biz in a past life... for 8 yrs.. insulated yes .. but ain't worth the risk if ya ask me ... Don

20. Buddhalux

Buddhalux Hillsboro, Oregon Active Member

Ya, salt crustiness did suck. You couldn't soak your boots long enough to get it all out of there. Blood didn't help your boots much either. I had a pretty decent system down to where I could spit shine a set of jungle boots in 15 mins. The great thing about starched BDU's was that the ticks and chiggers hated it for some unknown reason.