JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is correct. TSA does not have the authority to open gun boxes either. The airline rep verifies the insides and the ammo meet their requirements and then you lock it in front of them. Then take it to TSA. Only you can open the gun boxes at an airport. I never use TSA locks on mine.
I thought after you verified it is unloaded and IAW firearm transportation regs in front of the counter agent, that you had to then leave the locked case with the counter agent as checked baggage. I'm not an LEO, BATF, or TSA agent, nor have I ever tried to travel with my pieces (although that may change after the COVID nonsense ends), but are you suggesting that you can carry it through TSA security after check-in with the counter agent???

Last Edited:
Full size copy in a binder in ths rig. Full size copy, folded in a zip lock bag, in the gun bag. If it has a compartment I can shove a copy in, I do

:s0084: Reduced size copy? Why.

No reason for me to shrink or laminate for me. Full sized copies in the range bag don't take up that much room and I don't swim with my range bag typically.

I would point out that even though the atf agent is the only one that can legally ask to see your stamp, most state and local can ask if the suspicion of a crime being committed and the can was somehow involved...most are good and leave it alone...but you always seem to run into the exception...

I just tossed a 3 ring binder in my car with copies of all my stamps.
I also have scanned versions in the cloud if needed.

i made 30 copies of one stamp and put one in every car, range bag, cases, inside of stocks...etc. the chances of me not having my stamp are slim to none.

The ATF has copies of all my docs in their files. If an ATF agent is asking me to see them there is a serious disconnect somewhere. I have 26 stamped documents. I dont carry copies of them. I have never been asked by anyone to see them. I have scanned copies of all of them on my google drive account. If anyone ever does ask to see them and I'm in a good mood they can look at a digital copy on my phone. If that isnt good enough for them I dont care. Not even a little bit.

The ATF has copies of all my docs in their files. If an ATF agent is asking me to see them there is a serious disconnect somewhere. I have 26 stamped documents. I dont carry copies of them. I have never been asked by anyone to see them. I have scanned copies of all of them on my google drive account. If anyone ever does ask to see them and I'm in a good mood they can look at a digital copy on my phone. If that isnt good enough for them I dont care. Not even a little bit.
+1

I too, in all these years, and more stamps than I can literally remember at this point, I have never been asked. Though I do 95%+ of my shooting on land I own, and the rest, largely, on property owned by a blood relative, so maybe this is why.

If by some bizarre-o world scenario a federal agent asked to see them, I would show them the Xerox of whatever it was that is kept in the vehicles. If a state or county LEO, probably the same, because my understanding is that it is an "affirmative defense". That being I can show them the approved form now or later after I languish in the lock up; the former being much more convenient.

But if some random jackass asked to see my paperwork, they'd be cordially invited to engage in the unique sensation of self-fornication, because it is none of their god damn business. :s0165:

We always recommend a half size copy, fold it and vacuum pack them in any bag as small as you can. "Open in case of emergency". They don't need to be readable to anyone other than an ATF agent and generally...they aren't where you are unless you've done something very wrong. Keep it simple.

Here's my 2 cents.

Your NFA paperwork is generally consider privileged tax information, but there's then there's State and Federal laws.

Under Federal law you have 26 U.S.C. § 5841(e) which states that you are required to "retain proof of registration which shall be made available to the [ATF acting in their official capacity] upon request."

Under Oregon State law you have 166.272 Unlawful possession of machine guns, certain short-barreled firearms and firearms silencers. which states that unless you want to be arrested, you must have in your " immediate possession documentation showing that the machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer is registered as required under federal law." and obviously show it to a LEO when asked.

The original document or a copy would suffice to meet the requirments of both above.
In my opinion, being that .pdf's are used as original documents for ATF Form's 1, 2, 6 etc, I see no reason why an individual couldn't have a .pdf document, scan or photograph on your phone.

Now all of that been said, would I show a Form 4 to someone from the TSA when passing through security at an airport? If they asked for it, yeah probably, but more likely than not I'd just show them a copy of our dealers license and that would make them happy - same goes for local LEO's. Interestingly enough I've never even had a LEO ever ask for paperwork or a copy of a dealer license.

I was told, copies are not valid.
Laminating the original, also a NoNo

Someone correct (with proven facts) me if my statement is invalid
If its illegal or a no-no I think defending lawyers could easily argue a single one off piece of paper if far too fragile carry regularly, All the info is there copy and lamination simply preserves said paper. I suppose a hang up could arise, but logically I just don't see it being a big issue.

I have two copies of mine, both laminated. Original and spare are in the safe while one copy rides in the dedicated case for my sbr

Asked and answered, Your Honor...
From ATF:

Does the possessor of an NFA firearm have to show proof of registration?Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm. This document must be made available upon request of any ATF officer. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the possessor when the weapon is being transported.[26 U.S.C. 5841(e); 27 CFR 479.101]

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top