JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Learned this from a friend. Went to a Kinkos and had my stamps reduced to about 3-1/2" x 5" and then laminated. Will hole punch and put in a 2" snap ring to keep them together in my range bag.

1588524843857.jpeg

I was told, copies are not valid.
Laminating the original, also a NoNo

Someone correct (with proven facts) me if my statement is invalid

I was told, copies are not valid.
Laminating the original, also a NoNo

Someone correct (with proven facts) me if my statement is invalid

From ATF:

Does the possessor of an NFA firearm have to show proof of registration?
Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm. This document must be made available upon request of any ATF officer. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the possessor when the weapon is being transported.​
[26 U.S.C. 5841(e); 27 CFR 479.101]​

Copies are acceptable. I made reduced size copies and laminated them as well. The original shouldn't be laminated and not a good idea not to take it out with you, using instead the copies as proof. Keeping the original in a safe place is best, since they can't be replaced.

If you e-file the Form 1 you receive it as a PDF, so you can print as many copies as you need to. It's not like they have hologram seals embossed on them.

I do the same thing by reducing them down to wallet size and laminating them!
I also keep copies in a waterproof Pelican 1010 case along with other copies of important proofs and thumb drives with other needed things!
This way, the house burns down, floods, earth swallows it up, I have every important piece of paper or other records in a couple of places I can still access to prove what ever needs proving!

I marked my original with a yellow highlighter and then made color copies. To go in the range box or folded up in the pistol grip storage area. Also keep a photo on my phone.

Also keep a copy of the trust paperwork if you have one. I also have my middle name in my trust paperwork just in case I need to prove it's me. Don't know if it's absolutely necessary though.

I just photographed the stamp, have it on my phone.
I thought etching the stamp into the shell of the silencer would be cool.
From ATF:

Does the possessor of an NFA firearm have to show proof of registration?
Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm. This document must be made available upon request of any ATF officer. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the possessor when the weapon is being transported.​
[26 U.S.C. 5841(e); 27 CFR 479.101]​
Legally, the only one with authority that you need to show it to (upon demand) is a BATFE agent.
Which means you can request any RSO present their BATFE credentials. Don't have them? Sorry dude, those are the only agents who can request said information.

Which means you can request any RSO present their BATFE credentials. Don't have them? Sorry dude, those are the only agents who can request said information.
Same, copies on phone. Though when traveling on the airlines with suppressors I do take a hard copy

That is correct. TSA does not have the authority to open gun boxes either. The airline rep verifies the insides and the ammo meet their requirements and then you lock it in front of them. Then take it to TSA. Only you can open the gun boxes at an airport. I never use TSA locks on mine.

I keep the original Form 4 for my Thompson T1BSB in the big "fireproof" gun safe at home.
Full-size, double-sided, B&W copies of the form live in the gun case that the Thompson always wears when she goes out for a stroll.
Have never been asked to produce proof of registration wherever she's traveled, but I can always comply if a BATF agent asks to see it.

I also keep a copy on a thumb drive that lives in a fireproof document safe in another part of my home, completely opposite from where the gun safe lives.

Last Edited:

I have had this conversation with a Fudd RSO a few times.

I told one it is tax document and if he showed me his tax return I'd show him my stamp.

The other I wasn't so kind with.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads