JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Worked briefly at P&H rice mill in houston (many,many moons ago). The spilled rice would indeed sprout. Don't buy "converted" rice, it's precooked and dried.
Most folks like pinto beans cooked with a bit of ham, try some fresh garlic or even powdered instead, you'll be suprised.
You can survive on beans and rice, during the depression lots of folks did.

Worked briefly at P&H rice mill in houston (many,many moons ago). The spilled rice would indeed sprout. Don't buy "converted" rice, it's precooked and dried.
Most folks like pinto beans cooked with a bit of ham, try some fresh garlic or even powdered instead, you'll be suprised.
You can survive on beans and rice, during the depression lots of folks did.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on converted (parboiled) rice.

IMO it is the best rice type to store long term. Best balance of nutritional value along with storage life. Ex similar storage life to white rice, but around twice the nutritional value.

Brown rice is excellent nutritionally, but doesn't store well long term.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on converted (parboiled) rice.

IMO it is the best rice type to store long term. Best balance of nutritional value along with storage life. Ex similar storage life to white rice, but around twice the nutritional value.

Brown rice is excellent nutritionally, but doesn't store well long term.
Let me modify that a bit for clarity, I personally don't care for converted rice, the taste and the "nonstickiness" of it. Actually more into short grain variants like shirakiku.

Let me modify that a bit for clarity, I personally don't care for converted rice, the taste and the "nonstickiness" of it. Actually more into short grain variants like shirakiku.
Yup, agree!

Not our favorite. However do store it, mostly for "just in case".

Use it on occasion, not as much as other varieties.

Have it mostly for when / if we have a need. Will then be the go to over others, or mixed to extend & give more nutritional value.

Powered or cubes of chicken/beef broth is handy to add in when cooking rice or noodles to add in flavor. Also good to make soup with any leftovers you might have.

Loving the ideas from everyone, putting more and more on the lists to stock...

20210412_195830.jpg

Screenshot_20210414-010854_Gallery.jpg

I don't drink but it makes decent sipping for those who do...

At costco dehydrated onion, and taco seasoning, good in beans and a lot of other things that are otherwise pretty bland. They both should have pretty good shelf life until opened.
btw pintos are the king of beans!!!
( Let the bean wars begin! )

At costco dehydrated onion, and taco seasoning, good in beans and a lot of other things that are otherwise pretty bland. They both should have pretty good shelf life until opened.
btw pintos are the king of beans!!!
( Let the bean wars begin! )
Don't like beans at all but in an emergency, I'll manage...

Don't know which ones store better or are easier to prepare... is pintos the recommendation?

I'm impressed by the Blanton's! Where do you even find that stuff? I'm good with the Elijah Craig or Woodfords, but if you've got Blanton's I'll definitely drink it!
Got it at my local shop in Salem on Lancaster, at Lancaster and Center street.

Got my first bottle and a week or 2 later, I figured I'd ask if they had another Got their last bottle. This was months ago... probably just call around and ask for the Blantons...

I have some vac sealed pintos and rice that are 6 years old that I found today. Wonder how old they can to get till they have to become chicken feed. I have heard 10 - 15 years.
The rice has to be good. I'm eating regular packaged Calrose y2k rice and it's still good. Pretty sure regular packaged beans won't last 10+ years though. Yours are probably good.

I have found that dried beans have a number of problems:

1) They take a long time to cook/rehydrate
2) They can get too dry

I prefer lentils which store a lot longer (never had them go bad or get too dry) and they take a lot less time to cook. Dried split peas - ditto - but longer to cook than lentils.

Pre-soak overnight, then cook in a vaccuum bottle thermos. That way you use very little energy.
Google "thermos cooking"

At Costco today. I bought the Mountain Home assortment. Seemed like a decent deal, although I'd rather it be all savory meals instead of the granola. I'm not familiar with the Readywise brand. Had beverages and desserts in that one so didn't seem like as much of a deal once I compared them.

View attachment 856481View attachment 856482View attachment 856480

Mt House is pretty good. When comparing different brands of items like that look at: Volume, Calories and Salt content.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top