JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You're doing great and are likely better prepared than many others. Just keep plugging away at it and keep stockpiling as much as you practically can. Everybody's situation is different.
My username was given to me a long time ago, I stock extras of things where applicable for needs. Usually basics here and there, have a good 400gal of settled vegetable oil that can used for fuel, solar panels, small wind turbines, battery banks, charge controllers, inverters. LED lighting, diesel electric furnaces, tents to sleep dozens of people, basic duel band radios, growing medical supplies, basic electronics, soldering systems, lipo cells, lipo battery welding, racing drone and wireless camera systems, paintball, pneumatic launchers, decent supply smoke grenades, etc....

My biggest problem is storage of everything. Hoping my brother gets a job soon, makes the big bucks, and in a few years, we can go in together on some land and in one sense go off-grid (with some grid comforts) and really get into prepping.

I do think that a REALLY big shaker could put us out of commission for more than a couple of weeks. Things could get very ugly with massive damage and casualties, bridges collapsed, etc.

We've got quite a bit of what we eat daily, and some guilty pleasures like good quality ramen, dried pastas, etc. And then there's the Pilot Bread and SPAM for if we really got desperate. And of course lots of instant coffee. We're near a good water source and I've got both large and small water filters available. And some nice patches of nettles that are around at least half the year. So we can go for a good amount of time before I start thinking about shooting squirrels out of the trees. Honestly one of the bigger issues for us is dog food but I always keep at least three weeks worth on hand.

Rice Works good for dog food. can add a little scavenged meat protein and or veggies . as long as the stuff does not have spices ,sugar and additives . butter wont work but coconut oil will . A dogs pancreas cant process butter and its very bad for them, A 50lb bag of white rice last along time. In storage & as dog food .

Doesn't matter. People will soon get $1400 and blow it on cheese doodles and
White Claws. Then when there's another shortage and the Safeway shelves are bare they will be crying for handouts. Then we will have to deal with them like we did with the toilet paper Zombies.
Walmart online has plenty of the Augusan Farms freeze dried at normal prices. Free delivery over $35. They have other stuff too but the AF is the best value for the buck. Stimmy check can get some people stocked up quick. Pro tip: Avoid buying "survival food or kits" that contain a lot of granola and oatmeal and similar things already in your pantry. You're paying quadruple for it if it comes in a #10 can or plastic pail.
Bring on the Zombies.

The no 10 cans are good for storing brass .or loose ammo .

I'm not a Walmart corporate shill but they are competing with Amazoooon and will try hard to garner the market share. Just be aware that they also let the open market sell on their website. Walmart has great online prices and free shipping over 35 bucks. They allow outside vendors on their website to give more buying choices. Usually the Walmart listing are the best deal though. If you don't know how to use a search box you are pretty much screwed. All I'm saying is, buy your stuff now before the next "crisis" hits.
I took to using Wally a LOT after Amazon went all "Woke". Not sure Wally is really any better but, they are least were still willing to sell some stuff the "Woke crowd" was against. So I signed up for their take on Prime to try it. So far it's been great. Lot of stuff I still have to use Amazon for as Wally does not have it. When Wally does they do try to be very competitive. Having a super Wally just down the road I often get some stuff in hours after I place the order. I guess if it's in stock at the store they send it even when it's something super small. While back I placed and order for several things. One was a box of crackers. Hours later a Door Dash driver drops off the box of crackers. I have to guess and hope they were already delivering in my area anyway so they just brought those. Rest of the stuff showed up in a large box couple days later. So feels good to give a little of my money to someone other than Jeff B. Although not really sure if one is "better", what the hell makes me feel good :D Last I bought some Wally was still selling the Mountain House dried food. I tried some of this year or so ago when it was mentioned here. For "survival" food the damn stuff impressed hell out of me. It was quite edible.

Mountain House dried food. I tried some of this year or so ago when it was mentioned here. For "survival" food the damn stuff impressed hell out of me. It was quite edible.
Mountain House is made in Albany Oregon, one of the few if not only one I've seen that uses real meat in their meals not soy substitutes. Plus their portion sizes are a good bit closer to reality and far easier preparation than others.

At Costco today. I bought the Mountain Home assortment. Seemed like a decent deal, although I'd rather it be all savory meals instead of the granola. I'm not familiar with the Readywise brand. Had beverages and desserts in that one so didn't seem like as much of a deal once I compared them.

MountainHouse.jpeg Prices.jpeg Readywise.jpeg

At Costco today. I bought the Mountain Home assortment. Seemed like a decent deal, although I'd rather it be all savory meals instead of the granola. I'm not familiar with the Readywise brand. Had beverages and desserts in that one so didn't seem like as much of a deal once I compared them.

View attachment 856481View attachment 856482View attachment 856480
I'll take the mountain house over the readywise any day of the week.

The mountain house is just add hot water, the readywise takes a decent amount of prep and you need more resources to make it edible.

View attachment 856481View attachment 856482View attachment 856480

I don't bother with paying extra for freeze dried granola or rice or anything else I can already buy for less and already dried.

As you say - the "savory" meals are a better deal, and I have enough of those (boxes and boxes and cans) from MH. For the most part, those are for emergencies where I need the lightweight.

I don't bother with paying extra for freeze dried granola or rice or anything else I can already buy for less and already dried.

The Mountain House box at Costco still seemed like a good deal for $64.99. Even just the nine main meals packs at that price come out to $7.22 each, and then the other stuff is just a bonus. I haven't seen the meal packs for under $8.25 or so each.

The Mountain House box at Costco still seemed like a good deal for $64.99. Even just the nine main meals packs at that price come out to $7.22 each, and then the other stuff is just a bonus. I haven't seen the meal packs for under $8.25 or so each.
Costco is definitely the better deal on them, have to check my Costco and see if they have some mountain house in stock.

You can buy granola for $2-3 per pound. MH granola is $6 for 4 ounces (in a meal pouch) - but it comes with "milk". You can get dried whole milk (Nido) for $13 for a can that makes 4.5 gallons.

MH is the best freeze dried food, but some food you can buy a LOT cheaper in dried form that will last just as long if you vacuum pack it yourself. Granola is one of those; it is already dried - freeze drying it adds very little value to it as a long term storage food. I have 20 pounds of granola sitting in my food storage for less than half what one of those boxes currently cost.

I ordered some Keystone ground beef off Amazon, about $11 for a 28oz can and $8 for the smaller can. I liked their natural canned roast beef as it has low sodium and not other ingredients except its own juices. It tastes good out of the can and heats well in the microwave. Tastes even better with some ketchup or A-1. Pretty much the same with the Keystone ground beef. Sodium is low at 120mg, just like their chunk beef in the can. This is appealing to me because I can't stand canned products that are overwhelmed with salt for flavor. So far I'm a big fan of the Keystone canned meats. The only one I don't really care for is their canned pork as it tastes so dry. Otherwise, al of their other products are extremely palatable. Back to the ground beef, one thing I noticed was that the can was quite full. You get your money's worth here. The beef is good quality and the flavor is excellent. Fat content is good so if you're in the field or doing keto it will give you energy. I will be ordering more of this.

IMG_20210407_143550.jpg IMG_20210407_143403.jpg IMG_20210407_143332.jpg

Well this is one of those things I had no idea even was there, canned ground beef. No idea they had roast beef like this too. Thanks to cigars (OP) for mentioning this. I will be buying some of this to try. There is often times I want some ground beef for a meal and am too lazy to get some out of the freezer just to make a meal for me since I work "different hours" than most. Stuff would be great to have around for convenience and than of course to add to the "emergency" food stuffs.

You can buy granola for $2-3 per pound. MH granola is $6 for 4 ounces (in a meal pouch) - but it comes with "milk". You can get dried whole milk (Nido) for $13 for a can that makes 4.5 gallons.

MH is the best freeze dried food, but some food you can buy a LOT cheaper in dried form that will last just as long if you vacuum pack it yourself. Granola is one of those; it is already dried - freeze drying it adds very little value to it as a long term storage food. I have 20 pounds of granola sitting in my food storage for less than half what one of those boxes currently cost.

Also can store the vacuum sealed packs is a 5 gal food grade bucket with the rubber o ring . With a couple oxygen & dehumid packets . Its about as good as it can get and will keep pest & rodents out.
works for ammo to LOL

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top