JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My username was given to me a long time ago, I stock extras of things where applicable for needs. Usually basics here and there, have a good 400gal of settled vegetable oil that can used for fuel, solar panels, small wind turbines, battery banks, charge controllers, inverters. LED lighting, diesel electric furnaces, tents to sleep dozens of people, basic duel band radios, growing medical supplies, basic electronics, soldering systems, lipo cells, lipo battery welding, racing drone and wireless camera systems, paintball, pneumatic launchers, decent supply smoke grenades, etc....

My biggest problem is storage of everything. Hoping my brother gets a job soon, makes the big bucks, and in a few years, we can go in together on some land and in one sense go off-grid (with some grid comforts) and really get into prepping.

Im interested in getting a diesel electric furnace can you share some info on a good way to get set up on a budget. and possibly run on alternative fuel in a pinch .

Also can store the vacuum sealed packs is a 5 gal food grade bucket with the rubber o ring . With a couple oxygen & dehumid packets . Its about as good as it can get and will keep pest & rodents out.
works for ammo to LOL

I wouldn't count on a bucket seal for food storage. Mylar bagged w/O2 absorbers in the mylars, then in a bucket.

Foodsaver type/style vacuum bagging is short to mid term only.

YMMV.

No need for O2 absorbers for ammunition storage.

I do use desiccant packs for our ammunition storage in ammo cans. even that is supposedly unnecessary.

I recall hearing/reading that a 9.x quake would put us on our own for 6 months, more or less.

I am building up my meds again (let it go down when my insurance stopped paying for them - $7 per pill for statins - now I pay about $50 a month for all my meds thru Amazon) - got about two months worth now. By the end of the year I should have ~4 months worth. Saw three deer the other day mozying across my property.
OPB had a story about a big quake happening in PDX. If I remember correctly, the ground under the LNG facility is guaranteed to liquify causing a catastrophic disaster, explosions, fires. They said appox 1200 buildings in the area will collapse and I can tell you from first hand experience doing fire life safety/smoke control testing in many of the high rise buildings downtown, their smoke control systems allowing safe egress are woefully inadequate. Also if I remember correctly, they have a tentative plan to evac all remaining PDX residents to Madras/Redmond, Oregon airport where FEMA will setup camps. They said PDX would be uninhabitable from that point on.

My wife does the shopping and has had a hard time finding canned meats lately.
That's odd, the local Costco is generally my goto for such things and they've been more stocked than usual in things like canned beef, chicken, SPAM, corned beef, tuna, salmon, and so on. Also have a huge pallet of the gallon cans of sausage gravy, beans, rice, flour, and such. I'm down to just rotating stock now but they do seem to have plenty on the shelves.

Im interested in getting a diesel electric furnace can you share some info on a good way to get set up on a budget. and possibly run on alternative fuel in a pinch .
You can start out small with a generator conversion running on gas/NG/and propane. Those of us rural hicks have huge propane storage tanks, but those in residential areas with access to NG can tap into the NG line and run the gen off that gas. The link below offers kits we have used that work perfectly and can be adjusted for NG or propane or isolated to go back to gasoline.

They said appox 1200 buildings in the area will collapse and I can tell you from first hand experience doing fire life safety/smoke control testing in many of the high rise buildings downtown, their smoke control systems allowing safe egress are woefully inadequate.
Horrific disaster improves state demographics, film @ 11.

What is the expiration date on the can? I'm guessing you can go a lot longer, but wondering what they say.
Recently had a scare making chili. Cans of beans, chilis and tomatos were all expired. Caught it before I added the meat. I noticed the tomato paste wasn't as red as I thought it should be. The crushed tomatoes were really not red enough. I ended up throwing out the pot full and clearing up 2 shelves of canned goods. Was really surprised how much had 'expired'.

OPB had a story about a big quake happening in PDX. If I remember correctly, the ground under the LNG facility is guaranteed to liquify causing a catastrophic disaster, explosions, fires. They said appox 1200 buildings in the area will collapse and I can tell you from first hand experience doing fire life safety/smoke control testing in many of the high rise buildings downtown, their smoke control systems allowing safe egress are woefully inadequate. Also if I remember correctly, they have a tentative plan to evac all remaining PDX residents to Madras/Redmond, Oregon airport where FEMA will setup camps. They said PDX would be uninhabitable from that point on.

Not sure how they are going to evacuate that many people - the roads will be a mess, as will PDX airport.

You can start out small with a generator conversion running on gas/NG/and propane. Those of us rural hicks have huge propane storage tanks, but those in residential areas with access to NG can tap into the NG line and run the gen off that gas. The link below offers kits we have used that work perfectly and can be adjusted for NG or propane or isolated to go back to gasoline.

I have a dual fuel genset. The generator manufacturers realized they were leaving $ on the table and started selling them with that functionality built in. I just flip a lever and plug in the propane hose and it runs just fine, although it makes about 10% less KW on propane. I don't have NG here or anywhere near here, so NG has no benefit for me, and if we have a severe enough earthquake, NG won't be an option for most anybody, unless they have a CNG tank. Also, NG is not as clean as propane.

Propane can also be used to extend the fuel range and power of diesel by using "fumigation".

That's odd, the local Costco is generally my goto for such things and they've been more stocked than usual in things like canned beef, chicken, SPAM, corned beef, tuna, salmon, and so on.

I've been looking for the Costco canned roast beef at my local Costcos (north of Seattle) for over six months and haven't seen it. OK on the Spam (got some when it was on sale), canned tuna and salmon, etc.

Recently had a scare making chili. Cans of beans, chilis and tomatos were all expired. Caught it before I added the meat. I noticed the tomato paste wasn't as red as I thought it should be. The crushed tomatoes were really not red enough. I ended up throwing out the pot full and clearing up 2 shelves of canned goods. Was really surprised how much had 'expired'.

Being the adventurous type, I've tried some fairly well expired items, cooked of course. I'm sure it would have all been safe and edible, just probably not as tasty. As long as food doesn't spurt out of the can when opened, no bulging or dents, etc. you're probably good. And of course it has to pass the nose test. These days expiration dates of vacuum-packed foods are more of a "fresh by" than "don't eat after" date. I just ate some packaged cooked lentils in a bag that were expired four years ago and they were fine, but definitely the color had faded. This type of thing:

1617903051756.png

A lot of canned food canned food, properly stored, can be stored for up to 10 years.

I have had some canned food that has not lasted 6 years though.

Food that is a couple years past its typically 1 year expiration date I have no problem with.

Most of what I have thrown out has been food that was not canned, but was in other containers - such as plastic. Condiments often do not last more than a couple years before they seem to discolor, so those get thrown out when they do.

Heat, moisture, oxygen and sunlight are what degrades food.

When picking your BOL remember to pick one that is remote & relatively inaccessible, but near enough to civilization to get the necessities. Oh yeah and some place that will stay on the DL. It was almost perfect until this happened...

Last Edited:
Alost ALL of SE Portland soil will liquify and the buildings on it will subside/sink markedly.. many will just dissappear. It'll be way more than 1200.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top