JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Doesn't matter. People will soon get $1400 and blow it on cheese doodles and
White Claws. Then when there's another shortage and the Safeway shelves are bare they will be crying for handouts. Then we will have to deal with them like we did with the toilet paper Zombies.
Walmart online has plenty of the Augusan Farms freeze dried at normal prices. Free delivery over $35. They have other stuff too but the AF is the best value for the buck. Stimmy check can get some people stocked up quick. Pro tip: Avoid buying "survival food or kits" that contain a lot of granola and oatmeal and similar things already in your pantry. You're paying quadruple for it if it comes in a #10 can or plastic pail.
Bring on the Zombies.

Doesn't matter. People will soon get $1400 and blow it on cheese doodles and
White Claws. Then when there's another shortage and the Safeway shelves are bare they will be crying for handouts. Then we will have to deal with them like we did with the toilet paper Zombies.
Walmart online has plenty of the Augusan Farms freeze dried at normal prices. Free delivery over $35. They have other stuff too but the AF is the best value for the buck. Stimmy check can get some people stocked up quick. Pro tip: Avoid buying "survival food or kits" that contain a lot of granola and oatmeal and similar things already in your pantry. You're paying quadruple for it if it comes in a #10 can or plastic pail.
Bring on the Zombies.
Beware though, I priced some AF stuff on Amazon and the lowest they had for what I looked at was 4x more than the local LDS storehouse for equivalent.

Beware though, I priced some AF stuff on Amazon and the lowest they had for what I looked at was 4x more than the local LDS storehouse for equivalent.
Oh yes, Amazon is out of control with sellers and their pricing. Walmart has the best deals. Walmart.com also hosts other sellers like Amazon, just check the Walmart only option in the filter.

Oh yes, Amazon is out of control with sellers and their pricing. Walmart has the best deals. Walmart.com also hosts other sellers like Amazon, just check the Walmart only option in the filter.
I know and found out those facts in this instance firsthand. Couldn't believe the rip.

I have found that dried beans have a number of problems:

1) They take a long time to cook/rehydrate
2) They can get too dry

I prefer lentils which store a lot longer (never had them go bad or get too dry) and they take a lot less time to cook. Dried split peas - ditto - but longer to cook than lentils.

I tested some vacuum-sealed pinto beans that had been on our shelf for several years, to see if they would sprout. They did. Haven't tested all the other dried beans, peas, etc - but I like the notion that we can use some of these things as seeds.

Corn and wheat are a couple more things that should keep for a long time, and still be viable as seeds.

Have any of you ever tried to grow rice? And would the rice we buy at the grocery store be viable seeds?

I tested some vacuum-sealed pinto beans that had been on our shelf for several years, to see if they would sprout. They did. Haven't tested all the other dried beans, peas, etc - but I like the notion that we can use some of these things as seeds.

Corn and wheat are a couple more things that should keep for a long time, and still be viable as seeds.

Have any of you ever tried to grow rice? And would the rice we buy at the grocery store be viable seeds?

I have not tried to sprout rice, and I am pretty sure white rice would not sprout as it is missing the husk and germ.

I would suppose vacuum sealed beans would be ok with regards to not drying out too much - but most beans do not come vacuum sealed.

Even if you don't like beans, you can just eat the sprouts.

My wife does the shopping and has had a hard time finding canned meats lately.
It's still plentiful in the metro area. I just picked up a 6 pack of canned chicken for $9 at Freddys. I would avoid Walmart's Great Value roast beef. It taste fine but in a 12oz can you get about 5oz of meat and the rest is "broth" (water). The corned beef or store brand spam will probably be the best value calories per dollar.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top