JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Getting ready to break in a new 16'' 1/9 DTI barrel. I have been all over the web and it seems like a lot of different way. I was thinking of shot and clean for the first 20 round then blaze away.
What do you think should I break it in another way?
Thanks for the help.

Last Edited:
IF your barrel has any burs and things like that the first few round will be the most important. The most common you will see is shoot 1 then clean for the first 3-5 rounds. After that shoot 3-5 rd groups (and you can sight in) cleaning after each 3-5 times.

Here is a short article from a high end barrel maker and it talks about the importance of break in, <broken link removed>

For me it kinda depends on the gun what I do. For most guns I just go shoot. For anything I expect true accuracy out of I will follow a good break in procedure. When I had Lilja build me a custom .300 Whisper barrel that with machine time and gas block cost me $750 you can bet I followed the break in letter that came with it from Lilja. To do anything else would have been stupid.

Just my 2 cents. I built a DTI AR-15 with a 1/9 twist chrome lined barrel. Shot great the first time, cleaned it after about 150 rounds. Took it out the next time, same thing. Just cleaning it like normal, and it shot great, never had an issue with that AR-15 and put plenty of rounds through it.

There is no certain way and I did tests on my guns. And the results where the same. If it was a custom barrel that I paid nine hundred bucks for I would follow their directions but not many mass produced companies don't recommend break in periods. Clean and put five hundred rounds through it.........

The only way to break in a new barrel (or gun) is to have the first rounds fired (usually a magazine or two) to be shot by a woman. And to for good luck to always follow this new gun, the woman doing the shooting must be topless. :D

This is a ritual my wonderful wife :love: has kept up with on every one of my (or our) gun purchases.

Trust me. This makes the Gun Gods very happy. Because I (or we) have had nothing but good luck with all of our guns that she broke in. :cool:

Here are some further thoughts on breaking in a new gun:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/ri...-my-ars-how-i-got-them-how-i-decided-bcm.html

Boy do I love watching the break-in process. :s0053::banana:

The only way to break in a new barrel (or gun) is to have the first rounds fired (usually a magazine or two) to be shot by a woman. And to for good luck to always follow this new gun, the woman doing the shooting must be topless. :D

This is a ritual my wonderful wife :love: has kept up with on every one of my (or our) gun purchases.

Trust me. This makes the Gun Gods very happy. Because I (or we) have had nothing but good luck with all of our guns that she broke in. :cool:

Here are some further thoughts on breaking in a new gun:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/ri...-my-ars-how-i-got-them-how-i-decided-bcm.html

Boy do I love watching the break-in process. :s0053::banana:

interesting... i think you should definitely post demonstrative photos, for clarity.

Been told by my gunsmith (who I trust as a friend and builds really high end rifles) that breaking in is pretty much bs. He says it's not necessary, and his theory is it's something the gun industry cooked up to sell more cleaning products.
I have been told (also by my gunsmith) pretty much the exact same thing. I guess if I spent a super lot of money from a super hi end barrel manufacture, I might, might, do it differently.

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top