JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the idea is the break-in stops any machining burrs from being permanently brazed inside the barrel..

If the bbl is chrome lined it should have been deburred before it was chromed, or the chrome would build up on the burrs.

It is highly unlikely you need any break-in for this type of rifle.

I think the idea is the break-in stops any machining burrs from being permanently brazed inside the barrel..

If the bbl is chrome lined it should have been deburred before it was chromed, or the chrome would build up on the burrs.

This is why I subscribe to the "shoot the crap out of it" method.

I have never found any "burrs" in any of my new barrels. If there were any they'd catch material from the patch and I'd have seen it right off the bat.

I am unaware that most barrels are chrome lined, and I'd never own one. The chrome affects accuracy. Chrome is great for select fire due to heat.

Chrome will extend the life of the barrel but at a loss of accuracy - not a good trade off for me. I have a non-lined barrel with more than 5k rounds through it and no sign of erosion anywhere.

Put me down in the clean it and shoot it camp.

You mean that just blowing it out with compressed air isn't enough?

With any new gun I disassemble it at least to the field strip level, get hot water running in the sink and flush that baby out with nylon brushes and bore brush and hand dish detergent and the spray wand, THEN blow it out with compressed air.. lube and shoot. Advise gauntlet neoprene gloves that you can get at Lowes so you can handle the hot water

Been told by my gunsmith (who I trust as a friend and builds really high end rifles) that breaking in is pretty much bs. He says it's not necessary, and his theory is it's something the gun industry cooked up to sell more cleaning products.
i agree,i think the shoot stop clean,shoot stop clean,shoot stop clean is just to keep people from going rapid fire on a new barrel.
that could be bad to do on a new barrel so by cleaning between rounds they make sure you didn't rapid fire it.

He's hit it on the head. "Monkey see Monkey do". All too many shooters mimic the actions of winning shooters without any regard to logic. They feel that if they do the same things they'll shoot good too.

Check what Brad Sauve , F-TR Champion, says:

During the first few years I owned the MCRT, I was crazy about cleaning. My log shows that I cleaned the barrel 80 times in the first 998 rounds. That works out to cleaning every dozen rounds! No wonder it took me so long to find the right load! Boy, have I changed my habits. I still clean the barrel, but I run a much higher round count between cleanings than before. Now, I shoot 100-200 rounds before I give the barrel a thorough cleaning.

F-Class TR Tactical .308

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads