JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I travel through OR and to Salem often, I was looking into the steps I need to go through in order to attain my permit. I even contacted the Sherifs office in Marion and Polk counties but have not received any reply.
Can anyone give me some insight on the proper steps to take? Looking it up, I cant actually find any concrete info.

Thanks MUCH!

Oregon is a MAY issue state to non-residents. Meaning you'll need to find a 2A friendly county. I recommend you call around and find a county, most larger counties will not issue to non-residents. You'll need to state "good cause" about why they should give you one, the more 2A friendly the sheriff is, they less they scrutinize your "cause" and in some counties simply saying "I want to protect myself while traveling" is good enough. I personally got mine through a county in Eastern OR that is VERY 2A friendly. If you want to know what county PM me. However be aware you will need to make a trip to the office in person, there is no way to do it remotely.

If you decide to proceed you'll need an OR approved training class, I got mine from http://www.mycarrypermit.com but I know there are others out there. This can be done remote and you'll just print it out and take it with you when you apply.

Oregon is a MAY issue state to non-residents. Meaning you'll need to find a 2A friendly county. I recommend you call around and find a county, most larger counties will not issue to non-residents. You'll need to state "good cause" about why they should give you one, the more 2A friendly the sheriff is, they less they scrutinize your "cause" and in some counties simply saying "I want to protect myself while traveling" is good enough. I personally got mine through a county in Eastern OR that is VERY 2A friendly. If you want to know what county PM me. However be aware you will need to make a trip to the office in person, there is no way to do it remotely.

If you decide to proceed you'll need an OR approved training class, I got mine from http://www.mycarrypermit.com but I know there are others out there. This can be done remote and you'll just print it out and take it with you when you apply.
Thanks for this insight. I will pursue what you suggest. I am a certified range safety officer, teach a course along side a local police Sgt. on Sundays, have a good deal of training and course work in my background and can supply refrences including multiple law enforcment folks. I just need to figure out which county/Sheriff to approach I guess.

Thanks again!

IIRC Steve @Cerberus Group knows the Sheriff(s) in Shermin and/or Wasco County and may have some insight here. (I think).

His classes should satisfy OR education requirement. Might want to give him a buzz.
Either your stalking me or you have seen my posts (haha). Im actually training at Cerberus on the 15th and 16th for a second time. Ill chat with Steve, thank you for the insight!

My ears were a burnin!

Yes, I have an "IN" to Sherman, Wasco,and Washington Counties for out of state permits. I don't know the current status of Washington or Wasco County with another covid shutdown thing going on, but Sherman is still good to go...shutdown or not.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top